World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home field was huge tonight. Killed the Cubs momentum. Cubs are gonna have to do what Hawk says, strap it up and step up their game.

Cleveland looked like a great AL team KILLING an NL team. Cubs can wake up and win it in five but kudos to the Tribe. What a game tonight. They pounced on the Cubs. Helps that Cleveland has a GREAT manager, just like Maddon.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
Home field was huge tonight. Killed the Cubs momentum. Cubs are gonna have to do what Hawk says, strap it up and step up their game.

Cleveland looked like a great AL team KILLING an NL team. Cubs can wake up and win it in five but kudos to the Tribe. What a game tonight. They pounced on the Cubs. Helps that Cleveland has a GREAT manager, just like Maddon.

that was a grade A ass whoppin the indians gave the cubs. you could tell they played with a chip on the shoulder and they beat one of the hottest pitchers in the game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
So can anyone tell me why Maddon got so cute with his lineup? Did he really start a guy who hasn't seen live pitching in month higher in the order than Baez?

So overrated. Here's hoping this trend continues.

If he's healthy and they think he's ready to go then he's one of their best hitters against rhp, that's not getting cute. I'm not sure why fans are so adamant that they know how Kyle is going to react in this situation.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
Why did Maddon let Ross face Miller with the bases loaded instead of pinch hitting Soler? Ross was replaced defensively anyway so what was the difference? Seemed like a waste of their best opportunity, get a power bat in there.

This I completely agree with. I was baffled by this as well.

Tonight was amazing. I couldn't believe those Indians pitchers. Cubs did get some men on base but man those guys throw hard. You guys were right about the Indians. They are a formidable foe. Should be an amazing series. If the Cubs win Game 2, that's all they need. Then go home and win 2 of three or all 3.

Great start.

Love the Indians having that chip on their shoulder, starting with Kluber, one of the most "unknown/underappreciated" Cy Young winners in recent history.

Hopefully this is a "coming out" party as well for Francisco Lindor, the one superstar CLE has among their position players.

Guess I was also too quick to point out the Cubs have the catching advantage with the night Roberto Perez just had. Last time a catcher hit two homers two WS dingers was Gary Carter in the 1986 Series for the Mets against the Red Sox.

Miller was tested more than he ever was against Boston or Toronto, but that's probably a good wake-up call to get out of the way in a 3 run game (but still a huge test of nerves) instead of a tie/1-2 run margin.

Pressure really shifts to Arrieta and Kendricks. You can bet that the Indians fans are already counting on beating Lackey in Game 4, but that guy has so much post-season experience you can never underestimate him, despite his being a bit of a jerk who makes annoying faces when he throws the ball.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
Tonight was amazing. I couldn't believe those Indians pitchers. Cubs did get some men on base but man those guys throw hard. You guys were right about the Indians. They are a formidable foe. Should be an amazing series. If the Cubs win Game 2, that's all they need. Then go home and win 2 of three or all 3.

You really would pick Lackey over Kluber that easily?

CLE has a couple of huge advantages in this series. They have a lot more team speed, and the ability to manufacture runs (especially in the late innings) as well as any team in the AL that I've seen this year. Like Ozzie's Small Ball, except it's not just a myth papered over by home run reliance.

Second, they have that bullpen, especially if you have Salazar down there and Miller isn't overexposed to high pitch counts (they have the added advantage of the long rest from the ALCS). Right now, I'd trust Allen/Miller much more than Chapman (two BS already in the post-season), Edwards Jr., Rondon, Strop, Montgomery, etc.)

Deadpool officially jinxed the Cubs when he said my prediction about the Cubs and Indians meeting in the World Series when the Cavaliers won the NBA championship was the worst post of the year...but actually, predicted that way back in June. It was just a gut "confluence of historical forces" feeling at the time.

At any rate, let's see what J4L's new Murderer's Row can come up with in response tonight.

Hopefully a $184 million player on the bench again...in the ugly first year of that contract.

Kluber is really the only starting pitcher for Cleveland that can do what he did last night. The rest of the rotation is meh right now. Gonna be a bullpen battle for two games and the Cubs have the advantage with how their lineup works pitchers. Still think cubs in five.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Kluber is really the only starting pitcher for Cleveland that can do what he did last night. The rest of the rotation is meh right now. Gonna be a bullpen battle for two games and the Cubs have the advantage with how their lineup works pitchers. Still think cubs in five.

I bet they only want 3-4 good innings out of Bauer or Tomlin before giving the ball to Salazar for another 3 or 4.

Yeah, that was an absolute must win for Cleveland because of Kluber. The Cubs should hit Tomlin and Bauer. It feels like the Indians need to win all 3 Kluber starts then sneak a victory in one of the other four games. It's more likely to happen at CLE vs. Arrieta than at Wrigley vs Hendricks or Lester.

But isn't this the same thing Red Sox and Blue Jays fans were thinking in prior rounds?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
But isn't this the same thing Red Sox and Blue Jays fans were thinking in prior rounds?

This is what I've been thinking all postseason. The only problem is that the Indians haven't lost a single game started by anyone other than Kluber yet. It's baffling. Let's also not pretend that the Red Sox and Blue Jays suck at hitting or something.

Merritt came out of nowhere to pitch like 4 1/3rd innings earlier...this Cleveland team is flying high, and they must have felt Miller getting out of the 7th and 8th was a sign. I think they had also two games in September where the bullpen pitched at least seven innings and they gutted out both of those.

Then two homers from Perez of all people?

If anything, sitting for so long, you'd have thought this was the game the Cubs jumped out early and took over the series. Instead, the Indians looked like the team who played through the weekend.