World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Kluber is really the only starting pitcher for Cleveland that can do what he did last night. The rest of the rotation is meh right now. Gonna be a bullpen battle for two games and the Cubs have the advantage with how their lineup works pitchers. Still think cubs in five.

Josh Tomlin has been absolutely awesome this postseason, I wouldnt discount what hes been able to do

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
But isn't this the same thing Red Sox and Blue Jays fans were thinking in prior rounds?

I would argue that the Cubs are a totally different animal from Toronto and Boston. The Cubs looked dead in the water after Game 3 against LA and came roaring back.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:27 AM)
I would argue that the Cubs are a totally different animal from Toronto and Boston. The Cubs looked dead in the water after Game 3 against LA and came roaring back.

And then looked dead again last night.

No one is disputing the Cubs talent here, but it seems like a number of folks have themselves so wrapped up in their hype that they refuse to approach them rationally.

Yes, the Indians' rotation has been decimated by injuries. Yes, Josh Tomlin and Trevor Bauer did not have the seasons that Jake Arrieta and Kyle Hendricks had. However, this is not new. This is has been the same commentary for two other playoff series now. Meanwhile, the Indians are 8-1 in the Postseason.

Tomlin had a brutal August but has been very solid since.

Bauer is very inconsistent, but when he is on, he might have the nastiest stuff of any starting pitcher on either team.

Yes, on paper, the Cubs appear to have a large edge in the starting pitching department. But at some point, wake up and look at what the Indians have done.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)

The Blue Jays has six players with 20+ homers.

The Red Sox have Ortiz, Hanley Ramirez, Pedroia, Bogaerts, Betts and Bradley, Jr.

The Cubs MIGHT equal those line-ups IF Schwarber, Baez, Contreras and Russell all simultaneously reach their potential. That rarely happens where you don't have regression, injuries, sophomore slumps.

Zobrist is getting older (still productive for now though), Heyward sucks, Soler sucks, Fowler had a lousy second half, Ross and Montero are more folk heroes than credible threats....this is not the 1929-1931 Yankees some are making them out to be quite erroneously.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
The right baseball move was to hire him when he was available. I can't remember correctly, but the Sox did interview him before 2012 right?

Nope...they would never pay that top tier managerial salary.

Might have made a courtesy call since he managed Birmingham back in the day, but he was never really an option from all the public information available.

And he sat out 2012 to do the whole broadcasting thing and take a break from the chicken and beers fiasco with Beckett/Lackey et al.

Just makes me really appreciate how dominant our 2005 team was. 11-1 in the post season and the one loss was by 1 run. But yet so many keep putting this Cubs team on some pedestal, making it seem like this is the greatest baseball team ever assembled. That's 4 losses already in the post season and I expect more.

The reason the cubs are far and away better on paper in these playoffs is that they are healthy and now with Schwarber they are 100%

Add Gomes, Carraso and Salazarto the Indians and this is not even a series.

Add Strasberg to Washington and who know what happens.

Tip your hat to the cubs they have a good thing going.

Everything after Bochy screwed up the 9th inning is going their way...although I believe they have been shut out 3 times in the last 7 games.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
Just makes me really appreciate how dominant our 2005 team was. 11-1 in the post season and the one loss was by 1 run. But yet so many keep putting this Cubs team on some pedestal, making it seem like this is the greatest baseball team ever assembled. That's 4 losses already in the post season and I expect more.

You know, the other team in this world series is currently on pace to match 11-1. I find it interesting that nobody is really talking about how they have just ripped through the playoffs, two incredibly good offenses. Instead it is "Well, the Cubs were losing 2-1 to the Dodgers and came back"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
I find it interesting that nobody is really talking about...

Who cares? Cubs, Cubs, Cubs. That's all that matters. The entire world wants the Cubs to win. They are not only America's team, but Planet Earth's team.

Can you tell I am so sick of the attention that the Cubs are getting? :P

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Brandon and Dan Haren are the two best twitter follows.

dan haren ‏@ithrow88 13h13 hours ago

Two years ago I beat Corey Kluber 1-0....Today, I walked my 2 pugs while wearing a "pug life" t-shirt. Life comes at you fast.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
dan haren ‏@ithrow88 13h13 hours ago

Two years ago I beat Corey Kluber 1-0....Today, I walked my 2 pugs while wearing a "pug life" t-shirt. Life comes at you fast.

LMAO That is a gem.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
You know, the other team in this world series is currently on pace to match 11-1. I find it interesting that nobody is really talking about how they have just ripped through the playoffs, two incredibly good offenses. Instead it is "Well, the Cubs were losing 2-1 to the Dodgers and came back"

Indians will be forgotten the minute the series is over if cubs win and that will encompass all off-season coverage. MLBN will replay every cub game from this past season and replay the playoffs weekly.

Indians will be forgotten by mid-November if they win whole thing as the story will be how good the cubs will be next year, Yankee youth movement and Boston reloading. A little sprinkling of Indians, Dodgers, Texas, Giants and Nationals on rare occasions.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Indians will be forgotten the minute the series is over if cubs win and that will encompass all off-season coverage. MLBN will replay every cub game from this past season and replay the playoffs weekly.

Indians will be forgotten by mid-November if they win whole thing as the story will be how good the cubs will be next year, Yankee youth movement and Boston reloading. A little sprinkling of Indians, Dodgers, Texas, Giants and Nationals on rare occasions.

We may also see stories about how the Pope and Dalai Lama have been die hard Cubs fans their entire lives and maybe even a documentary about a small Somali village where everyone was huddled around the only radio available in town, rooting for the Cubs throughout the post season, hoping to one day be able to visit Murphy's to do jello shots. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
We may also see stories about how the Pope and Dalai Lama have been die hard Cubs fans their entire lives and maybe even a documentary about a small Somali village where everyone was huddled around the only radio available in town, rooting for the Cubs throughout the post season, hoping to one day be able to visit Murphy's to do jello shots. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.

I just lost my breakfast. Hahaha.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)
This is what I've been thinking all postseason. The only problem is that the Indians haven't lost a single game started by anyone other than Kluber yet. It's baffling. Let's also not pretend that the Red Sox and Blue Jays suck at hitting or something.

That's the one soothing thought I have about this series. The Indians are the last team of the postseason entrants that I imagined would be where they are. I had trouble seeing how they would be competitive in either the 'DS or 'CS, and here they are. They've done what they've done to this point, and it still almost feels like the bumbling White Sox could somehow catch them.