Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Eh.. I don't know about the greatest World Series ever. You can definitely argue game 7 for WS game though.

I could definitely be swayed on that if someone can find a better one given the context of this one, but I'll stand my ground on Game 7.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
I could definitely be swayed on that if someone can find a better one given the context of this one, but I'll stand my ground on Game 7.

This game 6 was sloppy as hell with bad managing, bad fielding and bad pitching. Only reason there was drama for two innings was a choke job by the Cubs. The Braves-Twins game featured one of the best pitching performances ever.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
You're obviously not going to get much sympathy here with your views on the Cubs. Not sure why you keep adding fuel to the fire.

Re-f***ing-read my posts! I don't like the goddamn Cubs! You're as bad as a Trump supporter right now, ignoring the words and evidence put forth by the person your debating. Hilarious.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
You mean besides being the greatest World Series AND WS game ever played? (as long as you're looking at it objectively of course)

Seriously, it's the next part of the lore of baseball. The team that couldn't buy a World Series finally gets it together. Theo Epstein, the greatest baseball executive of all time, delivers titles to beleaguered fanbases in Boston and Chicago, and he will be in the HOF. There's your record for you. That will be remembered 108 years from now. Other teams don't care as much, but why should they? That said, I still recognize teams like the Giants for winning 3 titles in 6 years and how impressive that was. Plus, we all remember those insane Yankee teams, The Big Red Machine, and other such dynasties. And if the Cubs become a dynasty, that will be remembered by baseball fans everywhere. This would be a dynasty for the ages... from complete and total losers to complete and total winners. Even if they don't become a dynasty, this one World Series, coming back 3 games to 1, the sheer joy of a city, the best executive in the game and quite possibly the best manager in the game. Literally having every single one of their top prospects work to this point! That doesn't just happen, that comes with an organization built the right way. Other teams will be taking notes and trying to build organizations like this because the Cubs are now perpetuating the idea that winning a World Series means having the best organization, from top to bottom. You can't skimp on any one part of the organization.

Trying to downplay this is just silly. If you don't care about baseball, that's one thing, but people wouldn't be here if they didn't care about baseball. I try to keep a solid perspective in between baseball and reality. Baseball is a source of entertainment but it does not impact my life or reality in a significant way. It's just a cool, fun game to watch most of the time. Most other baseball fans probably feel the same way I feel about this, a mixture of "this is cool" and worry that their team will have a tough time winning championships because the Cubs seem poised to go on a huge run for the next few years.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Seriously, it's the next part of the lore of baseball. The team that couldn't buy a World Series finally gets it together. Theo Epstein, the greatest baseball executive of all time, delivers titles to beleaguered fanbases in Boston and Chicago, and he will be in the HOF. There's your record for you. That will be remembered 108 years from now. Other teams don't care as much, but why should they? That said, I still recognize teams like the Giants for winning 3 titles in 6 years and how impressive that was. Plus, we all remember those insane Yankee teams, The Big Red Machine, and other such dynasties. And if the Cubs become a dynasty, that will be remembered by baseball fans everywhere. This would be a dynasty for the ages... from complete and total losers to complete and total winners. Even if they don't become a dynasty, this one World Series, coming back 3 games to 1, the sheer joy of a city, the best executive in the game and quite possibly the best manager in the game. Literally having every single one of their top prospects work to this point! That doesn't just happen, that comes with an organization built the right way. Other teams will be taking notes and trying to build organizations like this because the Cubs are now perpetuating the idea that winning a World Series means having the best organization, from top to bottom. You can't skimp on any one part of the organization.

Trying to downplay this is just silly. If you don't care about baseball, that's one thing, but people wouldn't be here if they didn't care about baseball. I try to keep a solid perspective in between baseball and reality. Baseball is a source of entertainment but it does not impact my life or reality in a significant way. It's just a cool, fun game to watch most of the time. Most other baseball fans probably feel the same way I feel about this, a mixture of "this is cool" and worry that their team will have a tough time winning championships because the Cubs seem poised to go on a huge run for the next few years.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)

I'd say the 2001 D-Backs/Yankees was much better.

You had a team winning it's first title in franchise history against the Yankees when they were THE team to beat in MLB. They won it on a walk-off hit in game 7 against arguably the greatest closer in history.

The 1986, 1991 and 2001 WS were all pretty spectacular...the best ever is obviously the 2005 WS... :o

While this WS was great, I don't think it was because the individual games themselves were great. Outside of games 3 and 7, the games were really not all that exciting.

There were great storylines of course, but I didn't think they were so great so as to carry the game action to one of the greatest WS ever.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)

You had a team winning it's first title in franchise history against the Yankees when they were THE team to beat in MLB. They won it on a walk-off hit in game 7 against arguably the greatest closer in history.

Forgot to also add that the Yankees were the 3-time defending champions.

That series was a literal storybook ending.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)

That's the one I was thinking of. Plus, the whole galore of the National tragedy (9/11) being in NY. It was an epic series. Schilling and Johnson put that whole team on their backs.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
I'm only 24, and specifically from Indians rally forward. The beginning of that game sucked.

I mean we see that game played all the time, just not in those circumstances.

The circumstances made it compelling, but the game itself was not all that incredible, with the exception of Kipnis scoring from second on a wild pitch and Rajai hitting a clutch homer against Chapman.

But there really was not much drama except for the last few innings.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
I mean we see that game played all the time, just not in those circumstances.

The circumstances made it compelling, but the game itself was not all that incredible, with the exception of Kipnis scoring from second on a wild pitch and Rajai hitting a clutch homer against Chapman.

But there really was not much drama except for the last few innings.

Circumstances + the Indians rally. Lindor made one of the greatest plays ever (given circumstances) if the Indians had won. Davis' homer was absurd. It started s***ty, then when Lester came in it became a great game.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Forgot to also add that the Yankees were the 3-time defending champions.

That series was a literal storybook ending.

SO was this. 166 years without a championship between them. This will be turned into a movie. Book it.