Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
so theo openly admits that the cubs tanked for a couple years during the parade. "Let's be honest, for a while there we forgot the 'not' in 'try not to suck,'" Epstein said.

Below is the same MLB rule for which Pete Rose was banned. So when do we revoke the 2016 world series, or at least have an asterisk by it

MAJOR LEAGUE RULES

Rule 21

MISCONDUCT

(a) MISCONDUCT IN PLAYING BASEBALL. Any player or person connected with a

club who shall promise or agree to lose, or to attempt to lose, or to fail

to give his best efforts towards the winning of any baseball game with

which he is or may be in any way concerned; or who shall intentionally

fail to give his best efforts towards the winning of any such baseball

game, or who shall solicit or attempt to induce any player or person

connected with a club to lose, or attempt to lose, or to fail to give his

best efforts towards the winning of any baseball game with which such

other player or person is or may be in any way connected; or who, being

solicited by any person, shall fail to inform his Major League President

and the Commissioner.

Ya! I hope they take away the Cubs championship for this!!!!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK my first post on this fine site, I migrated over from WSI after some BS, so that being said, heres how I spun this thing:

I work with a lot of women who were ecstatic the day after. I was asked in front of probably 8 other women what I thought of the game (which I did watch but very little) so I replied "the World series? Didn't see it, did I see somewhere the cubs won right?"....they were in dismay, I told them the forensic files were good that night :huh: .....so a few asked me if I watched any games and I replied maybe an inning on Sat PM

The bottom line is that the opposite of love isn't hate, its being indifferent. I told them I didn't care if the cubs won, lost or moved to Japan. Then one woman said, he's a Sox fan, which I said I was had no rooting interest in a cub game. Then someone said who cares about the sox, yada yada which I can understand given our current circumstances.

There are times not caring is much worse than hating. in all the relationships I've had, whenever an ex would say something hateful, I knew she was an eyelash away from coming back. But when she would say "I really don't care what you do or who you date" then I knew it was over. The perversion of human nature

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
I don't get this financial stuff. You're saying it's going to bite them in the ass eventually?

No. I'm saying after the purchase of the Cubs by the Ricketts, they actually had to cut back on some budgets due to the way the purchase was financed. There were certain limitations to the money they could spend as a result of the lending rules.

So while they forgot the "not" in "Try not to suck" for a few years, it was likely partially by design but also partially due to the financing of the purchase.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (The Grinder @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Thanks I feel better, I was starting to think I had convoluted thinking, now I know I'm not the lone ranger

Not by a long shot. A large number of longtime Soxtalk folks were on WSI at some point. We all had reason to abandon them.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
I know a lot of long suffering Cub fans, and I am genuinely happy for them.

Like many other Sox fans, I don't hate the Cubs. I only root against them 4 or 6 days a year. I guess I'm happy for them too.

Take that Cub-loving crap to a different message board you Harry Caray worshipping Sox-hater

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
I agree, the sketch itself was a little flat. The Cubs saved it at the end.

Honestly, this has been the strongest season of SNL the last few years. The last 4 or 5 weeks have produced some really strong sketches.

Like I said, they will be back for Weekend Update. I pressed mute but my wife will love it in the morning. Given the Second City background, that make sense.