Free Agent Targets

TheFutureIsNear

As of right now there are 139 official free agents... http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-offs...g-world-series/

who are some of your favorite (realistic) targets out of this initial bunch?

Not a whole lot to be inspired about there honestly. There are a whole bunch of mediocre stop gaps out there that I kinda hope we avoid, but have a feeling the FO won't.

I can definitely see them overpaying for some sort of combo of signing a Brandon Moss/Adam Lind/Pedro Alvarez for DH and then Castro/Suzuki/Wieters for C and still being very mediocre. Hopefully I'm wrong.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
As of right now there are 139 official free agents... http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-offs...g-world-series/

who are some of your favorite (realistic) targets out of this initial bunch?

Not a whole lot to be inspired about there honestly. There are a whole bunch of mediocre stop gaps out there that I kinda hope we avoid, but have a feeling the FO won't.

I can definitely see them overpaying for some sort of combo of signing a Brandon Moss/Adam Lind/Pedro Alvarez for DH and then Castro/Suzuki/Wieters for C and still being very mediocre. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I expect them to rebuild and trade off some pieces. I would be stunned if they signed a FA with a QO attached though. I don't think it happens but I could see the Lind/Alvarez, Jason Castro, CF offseason again. I'd actually sign Jason Castro regardless if they deal off some guys. His pitch framing is an asset for a rebuilding or contending team.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2016...ree-agents.html

Here's a list organized by position.

It's a garbage list. The worst I can remember. For some reason I think we will sign Rajai Davis or Chris Coghlan, lol.

Davis as a 4th OF/platoon partner with Tilson/pinch runner I'd take. Expecially if we go a rebuild route.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2016...ree-agents.html

Here's a list organized by position.

It's a garbage list. The worst I can remember. For some reason I think we will sign Rajai Davis or Chris Coghlan, lol.

pls subdivide by hero status thx

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
Davis as a 4th OF/platoon partner with Tilson/pinch runner I'd take. Expecially if we go a rebuild route.

If you're doing a full rebuild, why give sign a vet like Davis and give him at bats and playing time? Give that to a young prospect who's trying to prove himself. We might get a late bloomer.

Lol at people who think the Sox will do a full rebuild. They are going to rebuild and try to contend at the same time. Meaning they will get the young guys some time and keep a lot of vets. The Cubs winning the WS has all but assured this. The problem isn't that we need to rebuild, we just need to stop bringing in "bargains" hoping to get prime years out of them. Those are the mistakes we keep making that screws us over. Bring in legit talent and a legit 5th starter option and we'll be okay.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
I expect them to rebuild and trade off some pieces. I would be stunned if they signed a FA with a QO attached though. I don't think it happens but I could see the Lind/Alvarez, Jason Castro, CF offseason again. I'd actually sign Jason Castro regardless if they deal off some guys. His pitch framing is an asset for a rebuilding or contending team.

I think Castro is going to be WAY more expensive than people are prepared for - just from supply and demand. There are 4 catchers on the list available this year who had positive fWAR last year - in decreasing order, Wieters, Castro, Avila, Suzuki. I count 4 teams that would be interested in or need a new catcher...in the AL Central alone.

If you've got an otherwise playoff caliber team, Castro is the 2nd best catcher option on the FA market. Wouldn't you pay a premium for that?

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Lol at people who think the Sox will do a full rebuild. They are going to rebuild and try to contend at the same time. Meaning they will get the young guys some time and keep a lot of vets. The Cubs winning the WS has all but assured this. The problem isn't that we need to rebuild, we just need to stop bringing in "bargains" hoping to get prime years out of them. Those are the mistakes we keep making that screws us over. Bring in legit talent and a legit 5th starter option and we'll be okay.

With what, though? That's the thing. What do you use to "bring in legit talent?"

After last offseason, there is no reason to believe the Sox will ever pay for a top free agent. They're going from an extreme buyer's market with all the best pieces available in areas of need to an extreme seller's market without any true solutions in positions of need. There's just no f'ing way.

And, I hate to say it, but as far as the farm system has come, it simply isn't good enough to be able to outbid other contenders on "legit talent" via trade. If a truly "prime" talent is available, someone else is going to have more to give up. Sure, you may be able to come up with an offer that sounds plausible, but you can't ever come up with one that will end up being the best offer that a team receives.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZ9...QPwuVrk/pubhtml

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Who out there would be considered young catcher of the future? I can't imagine many teams wanting to give up one of those.

If you're giving up Sale/Quintana/Abreu, that's a position you can target as a high priority.

Alternatively you could just leave Collins there, but then you're going to have to be patient with him on the way up because rushing catchers tends to be a bad thing for their ability to handle a pitching staff.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Who out there would be considered young catcher of the future? I can't imagine many teams wanting to give up one of those.

I'd be looking at guys like Kevin Plawecki, players who have struggled in the majors but have strong minor league track records and possess a signicant amount of upside. One of the benefits of rebuilding is you can give someone like Plawecki 450 plate appearances and not bat an eye.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
And to your second point, Collins probably doesn't stay behind the plate given the Sox tendencies.

And I may as well point out that I agree with you and I disagree with the move in advance. Leave him back there, give him 2-3 years to work his way up, and see if you can pull together a really good hitting catcher when the team is ready to compete.

He'll be in RF up in June next year to save the season because how could a competitive team be falling this far out of the wild card race when we did everything right again? I'll hate it when it happens.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
With what, though? That's the thing. What do you use to "bring in legit talent?"

After last offseason, there is no reason to believe the Sox will ever pay for a top free agent. They're going from an extreme buyer's market with all the best pieces available in areas of need to an extreme seller's market without any true solutions in positions of need. There's just no f'ing way.

And, I hate to say it, but as far as the farm system has come, it simply isn't good enough to be able to outbid other contenders on "legit talent" via trade. If a truly "prime" talent is available, someone else is going to have more to give up. Sure, you may be able to come up with an offer that sounds plausible, but you can't ever come up with one that will end up being the best offer that a team receives.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZ9...QPwuVrk/pubhtml

For one we have to draft better when it comes to offensive performance. We seem to only hit with pitchers and then trade them away for hitters. We can sign a Cespesdes or Gordon but we have to pay. If we want talent and to win I'd rather spend a few extra mil on them than a Shields, Laroche or Dunn. We don't need elite talent to win but the talent has to be legit and not a castoff some other team doesn't want. But as I said I am not concerned with the construction of this team as is. This team can win a lot of games if they find a C, CF, and bull pen guy worth a crap. They don't have to be all-stars just competent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
And I may as well point out that I agree with you and I disagree with the move in advance. Leave him back there, give him 2-3 years to work his way up, and see if you can pull together a really good hitting catcher when the team is ready to compete.

He'll be in RF up in June next year to save the season because how could a competitive team be falling this far out of the wild card race when we did everything right again? I'll hate it when it happens.

Let's be real, you'd hate anything the Sox do. It won't matter - take it to the bank.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Let's be real, you'd hate anything the Sox do. It won't matter - take it to the bank.

I can come up with a list of things I wouldn't hate, including trading Sale - but you know the correct reply to this? I hate 70 win White Sox teams. Those who don't hate that can be thrilled with the last couple years.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
For one we have to draft better when it comes to offensive performance. We seem to only hit with pitchers and then trade them away for hitters. We can sign a Cespesdes or Gordon but we have to pay. If we want talent and to win I'd rather spend a few extra mil on them than a Shields, Laroche or Dunn. We don't need elite talent to win but the talent has to be legit and not a castoff some other team doesn't want. But as I said I am not concerned with the construction of this team as is. This team can win a lot of games if they find a C, CF, and bull pen guy worth a crap. They don't have to be all-stars just competent.

Right, most of us agree that we could use Cespedes -- but if we weren't willing to pay for him when he was desperate and his market was suppressed, what makes you think we'll pay for him now that he's older and his market is about to be massively inflated?

And, conceptually, we all agree we need a C, a CF, and a bullpen arm or two -- but that's kind of the point of this thread: look at that list and see if you can find those guys.

Catchers

Alex Avila (30)

Drew Butera (34)

Jason Castro (30)

Hank Conger (29)

A.J. Ellis (36)

Ryan Hanigan (36)

Nick Hundley (33)

Chris Iannetta (34)

Jeff Mathis (34)

Dioner Navarro (33)

A.J. Pierzynski (40)

Wilson Ramos (29)

Wilin Rosario (28)

Carlos Ruiz (38) — $4.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Jarrod Saltalamacchia (32)

Geovany Soto (34)

Kurt Suzuki (33)

Matt Wieters (31)

It's Wilson Ramos, who is coming off a serious injury, and then nothing. Which means Ramos is going to make way too much.

Center Fielders

Peter Bourjos (30)

Michael Bourn (34)

Yoenis Cespedes (31) — can opt out of remaining two years, $47.5MM on current contract

Coco Crisp (37)

Rajai Davis (36)

Ian Desmond (31)

Dexter Fowler (31)

Carlos Gomez (31)

Tyler Holt (28)

Austin Jackson (30)

Jon Jay (32)

Alex Presley (31)

Logan Schafer (30)

Drew Stubbs (32)

Total jack. Cespedes isn't even a CF. Ian Desmond?