Tim Anderson tied for 4th in DRS

southsider2k5

Wasn't Anderson's defense considered a liability when they called him up? If memory serves, then this statistic is quite the nice surprise. I for one think Anderson will be the Sox top all-around player for the next few years, regardless of the direction they decide to take. You know Anderson is sticking around, and he is something to get excited about.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Wasn't Anderson's defense considered a liability when they called him up? If memory serves, then this statistic is quite the nice surprise. I for one think Anderson will be the Sox top all-around player for the next few years, regardless of the direction they decide to take. You know Anderson is sticking around, and he is something to get excited about.

His range played much better in MLB than it did in the minors (speed of the game and all that) and he cleaned up most of the arm and footwork issues he had in the minors that led to a lot of errors.

I don't think he'll ever be an elite defender, just doesn't have the quick rocket arm, but he can easily be a plus defender at SS for the next decade. That's pretty damn good for a guy that also projects as an asset with the bat.

If he puts up 4 fWAR next season I'll be a very happy man.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)
Also need to remember he never played on great infields in the minors. I think that has something to do with struggles for infielders.

I don't think that is nearly as big of a deal as it used to be. The quality of facilities has gone up a lot around the country in the last generation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
I don't think that is nearly as big of a deal as it used to be. The quality of facilities has gone up a lot around the country in the last generation.

Maybe, but Tim himself said its made a big difference for him.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
I didn't watch a whole lot of games after Tim was called up, but I remember watching 2 where he completely missed tagging second on a routine double play. Based on that I think his footwork around second needs a lot of work and that kind of thing probably doesn't factor into DRS.

You are correct, he did have what felt like 4 or 5 plays I can remember where you had to watch a reply to find out if he actually stayed on 2B or not. He did have choppy footwork there, but that's just reps.