White Sox Rebuild Thread

Dunt

Figured we should get this started in light of some of the comments today. Hopefully we can contain this discussion to one thread until some trades start happening. Some quotes from today:

I agree White Sox are moving toward a rebuild. And I think we are talking a full rebuild if it’s executed

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/796104048864874497

Wh Sox on a new path to sustainable player control and success."I feel the approach now is focusing on longer term benefits"said Rick Hahn

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/796103523830071297

Can't say definitively, bc Rick Hahn qualified everything w/ "regardless of which direction" taken -- but all signs say #WhiteSox will sell.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/796086924121227265

Bruce is on his own planet, but I think Merk and Hayes know the front office pretty well at this point.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Hayes and Merkin are predicting it, I'm believing it. This is the right time. Execute the plan now Rick Hahn. Bring the Sox fans a new hope. A new beginning. Change that we can believe in and get behind. I'll always be appreciative of Sale, Q, Abreu and Eaton for their hard work and dedication. I'll probably shed a tear when Q is moved because he's my guy. Has been since his first start here. Gona miss ya Q!

I went to one game last year... it was late in the season and it was awful. No energy, no excitement, no enthusiasm. It was dreadfully boring.

If they do a full rebuild and get some young talent, I'll go to at least 10 games - I don't care if they have 100 losses. I'm excited about fresh new talent in the organization.

Just imagine how cool it's going to be to anticipate the arrival of a young stud who's raking in the minors. Imagine call ups being covered by the national media. I can't wait.

I look forward to a full on fire sale and watching my 2 and a half year old grow up with a new core. The Kids Can Play PT. II

Having said all that I'm on the fence with regards to selling Eaton, but his value is at an all time high and he could return a haul that rivals Q's and Sales and I doubt he wants to spend the next two to three years on a rebuilding roster so ship him off to Washington.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
I'm scared and yet excited at the same time.

Yep, this exactly.

So excited to finally have a direction and learn all of our new top prospects, but also very scared that we won't get what most would say is fair value out of our assets. Not every trade can be a Shelby Miller trade.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Yep, this exactly.

So excited to finally have a direction and learn all of our new top prospects, but also very scared that we won't get what most would say is fair value out of our assets. Not every trade can be a Shelby Miller trade.

Agreed not every trade can be a Shelby Miller trade but when you look at the surplus value of Sale, Q, Eaton, Abreu & Jones, even getting fair value will create layers and waves of talent, it'll be exciting to watch unfold.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
I look forward to a full on fire sale and watching my 2 and a half year old grow up with a new core. The Kids Can Play PT. II

Having said all that I'm on the fence with regards to selling Eaton, but his value is at an all time high and he could return a haul that rivals Q's and Sales and I doubt he wants to spend the next two to three years on a rebuilding roster so ship him off to Washington.

I'd sell him if we could get more prospects.

Plus would you want Adam Eaton to be the locker room leader of a bunch of kids?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm very happy they have a direction and aren't playing with themselves while teams execute their off-seasons.

I think I saw @whitesoxdave say he thinks the Sale to Boston deal will be centered around Benintendi.

He actually said he would be surprised if it was centered around him.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
He actually said he would be surprised if it was centered around him.

Oh ok I read it wrong then. I thought that was about Frazier extension

Ken Rosenthal talked about on MLBN just now that he thinks "we know what the White Sox are going to do."

As much as I think rebuilding and selling off is the right course of action, it worries me tremendously that the current regime is in charge of identifying the talent to acquire in any potential deal, as they have shown very little ability to make competent moves in the past.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:48 AM)
As much as I think rebuilding and selling off is the right course of action, it worries me tremendously that the current regime is in charge of identifying the talent to acquire in any potential deal, as they have shown very little ability to make competent moves in the past.

Couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous Hahn and KW are allowed to oversee the rebuild after the awful job the tandem has done.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if "long term" success translated to large free agent contracts that this organization has never given out before. Sign Cespedes and fill all the other holes... or sell it all and walk away with the best farm system in history.

My fear is that RH finally talked JR into a rebuild, and JR reluctantly agreed but made it clear that it needs to not take very long. And thus RH may be constrained to try to make the team competitive in two years or something.

You can't do what the Cubs did unless ownership is willing to buy into its GM' plans, even if those plans sound painful in the short term.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
I thought that's what I saw. He f***ed his original tweet up so that began the confusion.

I'm confused...he says he would be surprised if Sale was traded to Boston in a deal centered around Bennintendi.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
I'm confused...he says he would be surprised if Sale was traded to Boston in a deal centered around Bennintendi.

No he said he thought sale would go to boston and would be centered around Benintendi. He said he wouldnt be surprised if the sox extended Frazier. He first messed up the frazier opinion and correctd it