White Sox Rebuild Thread

Dunt

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'd like to see this boards rankings of how they rank our players in terms of perceived value in the market.

AND THEN, Separately which of those you would trade if you are trying to keep anything alive in terms of winning/future.

Mine would be:

Sale

Eaton

Q

Abreu

Frazier

Robertson

Nate Jones

Miguel Gonzalez

Melky

Lawrie

And then I'd trade during the OFFSEASON:

Sale, Miguel Gonzalez, Nate Jones, Robertson, Eaton.

I'd keep..

Frazier, Abreu, Melky, Lawrie, Q.

I don't think Lawrie has as much perceived value now as he would as a mid season addition -- one who comes with an expiring contract, can play multiple positions, etc.

I also think someone like a Frazier would have more value during the season. Yes he hit 40HR, but he also batted like .220. Longoria is supposedly available on the market too. Turner, etc. I just think if you wait on him and he ends up hitting like .250 and on pace for 40hr again you can get a TON at the deadline.

Also not the worst to keep him. Relatively young. Depending on what you get back for a Sale & the others you can be almost rebuilt in 2-3 years. Frazier could have 5-6 good years left in him... Don't forget the black hole 3B has been for the Sox since Crede...

Melky? Not sure why I kept him. Just think he has the same value regardless when you trade him and I like him, so want to see him play ball a bit more.

Abreu? Not much of a market IMO. Let the Trumbo and EE, Joey Bats, etc. all play out. I think someone will be more desperate later on. And again, almost like Frazier he could have real value at DH in like 2-3 years when this team might be rocking and rolling...

In terms of Q. I'd want to keep him.

If you can trade the other guys and have a nice minor leagues you could have Q, Rodon, Fulmer (if he turns a corner) + someone you acquired as a solid 4 man rotation.

I think if done properly you can keep a couple of the guys and be considered a dangerous team as soon as 2019. of course that's assuming the FO that's never done anything right gets all the trades right. And I think history shows you never win trades where you give a superstar like Sale,.

Mine would be:

Sale

Quintana

Eaton

Abreu

Frazier

Nate Jones

Robertson

Melky

Miguel Gonzalez

Lawrie

Feel obligated to include the next 3 since they get brought up here)

Rodon

Anderson

Fulmer

And then I'd trade during the OFFSEASON:

Sale: doesn't really need an explanation, just get a haul

Miguel Gonzalez: teams could use backend rotation depth

Todd Frazier: only one year left

Melky Cabrera: only one year left

Lawrie: only one year left, don't think his value is going to change much holding onto him

Nate Jones: 5 years left, signed cheap, teams are valuing bullpen more than ever before

I'd keep..

Quintana: 4 years of control left, signed cheap, can move in July or next off-season, still have to fill out a team, would move if there is another big haul out there after dealing Sale, however.

Abreu: unless we get an offer of 3-4 prospects this off-season, I would hold onto him

Robertson: injured last season, just had surgery, value is down, deal him in June/July unless a team pays up

Eaton: under control for 5 more years, sort of falls into the same boat as Quintana.

Rodon: could be at the front of the rotation on the next good team OR if the rebuild is going horribly, hope he develops enough to deal him with a few years of control left (currently 5); his agent is also Scott Boras so throw the idea of a team-friendly deal out the window

Anderson: 6 years of control left; isn't going anywhere

Fulmer: 6 years of control left; isn't going anywhere

If they deal/keep those guys listed above and without accounting for players brought back (hard to pin point who exactly would come back in all those deals):

C: Narvaez and Smith: there will likely be an addition here whether through a trade or free agent signing

1B: Abreu: reasoning above

2B: Sanchez/Saladino: if its a rebuild year, it doesn't matter too much; the other serves as a backup infielder

3B: Davidson: why not?

SS: Anderson: obvious

LF: Coats: again, in a rebuilding year, nothing to lose playing him; someone probably gets signed to platoon or start over or an MLB-ready player is brought back in a trade (I think the latter is most likely)

CF: Tilson: see above

RF: Eaton: reasoning above

DH: Garcia: probably share this spot with a mix of guys; I can totally see a Matt Holiday signing here on a one year deal

Bench:

C Smith/Narvaez

IF: Saladino/Sanchez

OF: Liriano for now

Util: Garcia: can cover IF and OF and be used for speed off the bench

Starting Pitching:

1. Quintana

2. Rodon

3. Shields (leads this team to a top 3 pick!)

4. Fulmer (gets a crack in a big league rotation)

5. ?: Ranaudo, Turner, or minor league signing or a pickup in a trade

Bullpen:

Robertson

Jennings

Burdi (called up after 2 weeks, become eventual close when Robertson is dealt)

Putnam

Petricka

Soto (forgetting some guys; figured we could use another lefty)

Ynoa/long reliever (Ranaudo, Turner, minor league signing?)

EDIT: now I know it won't look like that on opening day, but I was sort of subtracting off the guys I think may get traded and just sort of replacing them with next guy on the depth chart.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
I am all for a rebuild, but have no confidence Kenny and Rick are the guys to do it. The Sox scouting department for evaluating talent is just abysmal. Case and point Avi being a 5 tool player.

We all know the time is now for a rebuild. However, I agree-- it's really hard to trust Hahn and KW to get the necessary prospects back in return. I guess the only thing we can somewhat hold our hat onto is that Nick Hostetler seems to have a real good pulse on prospects. Since they will be avoiding the veteran acquisition route, this may work out after all. If i'm Hahn, i'm putting all my trust in Hostetler's judgement.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
We all know the time is now for a rebuild. However, I agree-- it's really hard to trust Hahn and KW to get the necessary prospects back in return. I guess the only thing we can somewhat hold our hat onto is that Nick Hostetler seems to have a real good pulse on prospects. Since they will be avoiding the veteran acquisition route, this may work out after all. If i'm Hahn, i'm putting all my trust in Hostetler's judgement.

This. I have all the faith in the world right now in Hostetler and co. to make this right.

From today's Dave Cameron chat:

12:46

Nick: Should the white sox wait to trade Frazier/Melky until the deadline when the price is higher? One year of Frazier after hitting .220 isn’t going to bring back much, but at the deadline it might inflate the price

12:47

Dave Cameron: Except if you trade him now, the acquiring team can price in a comp pick with a QO next winter.

Dave Cameron: So the price will be higher now.

Jesse: Would Benintendi, Kopech and Devers be enough to get Sale?

Dave Cameron: No

Interesting, (1) hadn't thought about the QO factor for Frazier, and (2) that Red Sox deal sounds like one I'd gladly take for Sale.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)

Interesting, (1) hadn't thought about the QO factor for Frazier, and (2) that Red Sox deal sounds like one I'd gladly take for Sale.

Well, we've already established that you're nuts ;)

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)

I had thought it even before recent news, but I do believe Frazier gets a long extension.

It's also why when weighing whether to trade him or not, the Sox need something worth 1 year of Frazier plus a late 1st round pick because that's what they'd get if they let him walk.

I feel like it's one more prospect short. Or another prospect and one of their catchers as a toss-in.

Also, I feel like I should post this here as a reference to other Red Sox prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bos

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
I feel like it's one more prospect short. Or another prospect and one of their catchers as a toss-in.

Also, I feel like I should post this here as a reference to other Red Sox prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bos

Glad to hear Cameron thinks it is short.

Give me Rodriguez and Vazquez in addition and I'd probably do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
I had thought it even before recent news, but I do believe Frazier gets a long extension.

I wouldn't be surprised, and I'd be okay with it depending on money. If the Sox are going to rebuild, they do have the pieces that could bring back young major league talent. So, if done right, they could be competitive as early as 2018...mind you I said if done right. Having Frazier as a leader for the young guys would be beneficial.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah. With that deal, you'd fill 3 holes at the MLB level: one created by dealing Sale, catcher spot, and an MLB-ready OF.

Yah, except I don't have confidence that Vazquez is any good.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't think he is either. My preference is Swihart in all honesty and he might be the Sox preference as well. Who knows.

Based on scouting reports I saw last year, this is accurate.