President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
If Trump really tries to get that plan in action he will get killed.

Does anyone disagree with term limits for Congress? Or stopping lobbyist shenanigans?

There are some really good things in there, and some really bad ones. This next four years will all depend on which ones come to fruition.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
That might be the best idea I have heard yet, and I am not kidding.

I believe Obama just used this exact same tactic and now Trump wants him to help him do this job he is not ready to do.

OBAMA: I just had the opportunity to have an excellent conversation with President-Elect Trump. It was wide-ranging. We talked about some of the organizational issues in setting up the White House. We talked about foreign policy. We talked about domestic policy. And as I said last night, my number one priority in the coming two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensures our President-Elect is successful. And I have been very encouraged by the, I think, interest in President-Elect Trump's wanting to work with my team around many of the issues that this great country faces. And I believe that it is important for all of us, regardless of party, and regardless of political preferences, to now come together, work together, to deal with the many challenges that we face. And in the meantime, Michelle has had a chance to greet the incoming First Lady. And we had an excellent conversation with her as well. And we want to make sure they feel welcome as they prepare to make this transition. And most of all, I want to emphasize to you, Mr. President-Elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed because if you succeed, then the country succeeds.

TRUMP: Well, thank you very much, President Obama. This was a meeting that was going to last for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and we were just going to get to know each other. We had never met each other. I have great respect—the meeting lasted for almost an hour and a half. And it could have, as far as I'm concerned, it could have gone on for a lot longer. We really—we discussed a lot of different situations. Some wonderful and some difficulties. I very much look forward to dealing with the President in the future, including counsel. He explained some of the difficulties, some of the high-flying assets and some of the really great things that have been achieved.

Mr. President, it was a great honor being with you, and I look forward to being with you many more times in the future. Thank you, sir.

OBAMA: Thank you, everybody. We're now—we are not going to be taking any questions, thank you, guys, thank you. [To Trump] It's a good rule, don't answer questions when they start—[gestures at reporters].

TRUMP: It's always the last one.

OBAMA: Come on, guy, come on, guys, let's go.

TRUMP: Very good man, very good man.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
I just watched the post-meeting comments from Trump and Obama. Trump seemed slightly overwhelmed and seemed to come away with a want to have Obama's "counsel". He's in over his head, perhaps by having his ass kissed with an olive branch from the respected leader of the free world he'll turn to him for guidance through his presidency.

I can only hope.

Considering he called Obama the worst President ever, I tend to doubt he really wants his help. I really feel sorry for Barry for having to play nice at this meeting. I can only hope in 4 years Trump has to give the lay of the land to Elizabeth Warren. That would be a classic.

I think the meeting did last for 10 or 15 minutes. The rest of the time was coming up with what they were going to say.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
Some reasonable stuff, and some lunacy as well.

But he didn't really mean he was building a literal wall!

And some of the stuff in there, isn't really what you would see out of most conservatives. It is why I wonder if the reality of Trump will differ from the guy trying to get elected. Maybe that is just me hoping. Also, aren't there a lot of reports that Trump isn't all that happy with Pence. A lot of it has to do with the fact that he hasn't specifically thanked him like he did so many of the other people who helped him on the campaign.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Trump personally doesn't seem to actively dislike LGBT. But he also doesn't really care about it very much, as evidenced by his VP choice being extremely anti-LGBT and letting the Family Research Council write the GOP's plank on anti-LGBT. He'll appoint whatever conservative justice his advisers tell him, and he's surrounded himself with people who are anti-LGBT.

Why would the GOP update their social views? They won.

But the GOP didn't win on their historical views. I don't quite know what views it won on, but it didn't win on that. Trump evidently re-wrote a lot of his victory speech (which I actually thought was a pretty good speech) to supposedly make it more mainstream. No idea how true that is or not.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
He was literally promising to make every one of their dreams come true at his rallies.

He's a conman and tens of millions of Americans bought into it.

I think you still don't get what happened. He didn't conman tens of millions of Americans, he was the outsider who was different and different outweighed general views of policies. Yes, he made lots of promises (sometimes even contradicting promises) but he talked and talked about change, he talked and talked about bringing jobs back to the rust belt. He talked about stronger immigration...yes in many cases he talked about more extreme stances, but the biggest thing was, he was not a politician and that was what got him elected.

I have a lot of the frustrations that the American people have that led them to vote for Trump, the problem was I couldn't turn out those frustrations in a candidate like Trump (I wish there was a better outsider option). But the reality is what the reality is and we now are in this world. We need to see what he does and if he does bad things, then everyone needs to realize maybe we need to do more as a country to make this a better place, to move things, forward, etc. More importantly, people need to work together and that includes our politicians who over the past 12 years have done very little when it comes to economic stimulating policy. They've essentially left it in the fed to give you pain killers while doing nothing to actually solve the problem (90+% of economists would agree with that take). I'm not putting blame on one side or the other, just saying no one wants to work with each other and they will all claim it is the other parties fault.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
I believe Obama just used this exact same tactic and now Trump wants him to help him do this job he is not ready to do.

OBAMA: I just had the opportunity to have an excellent conversation with President-Elect Trump. It was wide-ranging. We talked about some of the organizational issues in setting up the White House. We talked about foreign policy. We talked about domestic policy. And as I said last night, my number one priority in the coming two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensures our President-Elect is successful. And I have been very encouraged by the, I think, interest in President-Elect Trump's wanting to work with my team around many of the issues that this great country faces. And I believe that it is important for all of us, regardless of party, and regardless of political preferences, to now come together, work together, to deal with the many challenges that we face. And in the meantime, Michelle has had a chance to greet the incoming First Lady. And we had an excellent conversation with her as well. And we want to make sure they feel welcome as they prepare to make this transition. And most of all, I want to emphasize to you, Mr. President-Elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed because if you succeed, then the country succeeds.

TRUMP: Well, thank you very much, President Obama. This was a meeting that was going to last for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and we were just going to get to know each other. We had never met each other. I have great respect—the meeting lasted for almost an hour and a half. And it could have, as far as I'm concerned, it could have gone on for a lot longer. We really—we discussed a lot of different situations. Some wonderful and some difficulties. I very much look forward to dealing with the President in the future, including counsel. He explained some of the difficulties, some of the high-flying assets and some of the really great things that have been achieved.

Mr. President, it was a great honor being with you, and I look forward to being with you many more times in the future. Thank you, sir.

OBAMA: Thank you, everybody. We're now—we are not going to be taking any questions, thank you, guys, thank you. [To Trump] It's a good rule, don't answer questions when they start—[gestures at reporters].

TRUMP: It's always the last one.

OBAMA: Come on, guy, come on, guys, let's go.

TRUMP: Very good man, very good man.

Yes, exactly that. I was thinking about this last night. Putin praised him once and he continued to shower back praise despite no real reason for him to continue doing so.

Acknowledge and respect his power and intellect, and and then see how much he comes back over to do the same.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
This is both brilliant and lunacy in the same policy.

Like I said, there are actually lots of good things in his plan (again, my opinion), but there are others that are just crazy and others which while they sound great, are probably in reality impossible to do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
I think you still don't get what happened. He didn't conman tens of millions of Americans, he was the outsider who was different and different outweighed general views of policies. Yes, he made lots of promises (sometimes even contradicting promises) but he talked and talked about change, he talked and talked about bringing jobs back to the rust belt. He talked about stronger immigration...yes in many cases he talked about more extreme stances, but the biggest thing was, he was not a politician and that was what got him elected.

I have a lot of the frustrations that the American people have that led them to vote for Trump, the problem was I couldn't turn out those frustrations in a candidate like Trump (I wish there was a better outsider option). But the reality is what the reality is and we now are in this world. We need to see what he does and if he does bad things, then everyone needs to realize maybe we need to do more as a country to make this a better place, to move things, forward, etc. More importantly, people need to work together and that includes our politicians who over the past 12 years have done very little when it comes to economic stimulating policy. They've essentially left it in the fed to give you pain killers while doing nothing to actually solve the problem (90+% of economists would agree with that take). I'm not putting blame on one side or the other, just saying no one wants to work with each other and they will all claim it is the other parties fault.

This was about the establishment vs outsiders, globalism vs populism. A lot of people have felt they were left behind by both political parties trying to push a global agenda no matter how it affected them.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
I'm praying he shocks everyone and really does prevent any anti-LGBT laws and he tries to help minorities that are here legally. If he can do that he would actually be really, really good for the party going forward and he could have an 8 year stay. Going after illegal immigrants won't hurt him, even with minorities (as the election showed). But not bridging the divide domestically will be very bad for him for 2020 and the party beyond.

I agree.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Obama had handled all of this with extreme class. I don't tend to agree with his policies, but I legitimately praise the man for how he carried himself and went about his business as president.

He's the best-ever. Not sure what policies you don't agree with, but he's the best. Period. End of story.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Changes won’t come immediately, but Vice President-elect Mike Pence is promising that some of the laws he believes are anti-Christian will be repealed as soon as possible. In a recent interview, Pence restated his commitment to abolishing birth control mandates and bathroom choice protection for Transgender people.

Mike Pence has also been clear that he would like to defund Planned Parenthood, and overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark decision legalizing abortion, says LifeNews. Pence claims that along with Donald Trump, he will uphold the Hyde Amendment that prevents taxpayer dollars to be used for things that are “morally objectionable.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/3698135/mike-penc...oom-protection/

I hate Mike Pence. He's a much bigger problem than Donald Trump is.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
If Mike Pence tries to push a religious agenda down our throats, I'm ready to go to war.

Honestly, I don't see Trump letting other people push him around with there agendas. If there is one thing I am confident about, it is that he is his own man. He's going to listen to people (absolutely), but I don't see him just getting pushed around by everyone. Doesn't seem his style at all. He's going to do what he thinks is best just like he largely didn't think / ignored most of the advisers on his path to election.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Obama had handled all of this with extreme class. I don't tend to agree with his policies, but I legitimately praise the man for how he carried himself and went about his business as president.

He's been a great leader, however I would have liked to see what he could have gotten done without the roadblock that congress threw down.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
I get people's right to protest but Trump won. What's the point of the protest, it's not going to change a lick... Maybe just maybe these people should have went out and voted so this didn't happen?

I don't get it either. Someone found a racist sign in the bathroom too but protesting in school is pointless. They can't do anything to change it.