President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

This is a fairly good writeup on the fact that Obamacare is here for awhile regardles...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/10/news/econo...linkId=31023015

Trump has yet to lay out a detailed plan on how he'd replace Obamacare. But it's unlikely he and Congress will do anything that kills Obamacare for those who sign up for coverage next year, experts say. Open enrollment has already started, and the Obama administration estimated more than 11.4 million people will be insured through the exchanges in 2017.

Any legislation will probably include a delayed shuttering of the exchanges -- and of the federal subsidies program that millions depend on to afford the policies -- to give enrollees time to find coverage elsewhere. The insurance industry will also need a period to adjust since any swift changes to the individual market could throw their businesses into turmoil.

Six years after President Obama's signature health reform law was passed, Obamacare has become an integral part of the nation's health care landscape. Some 20 million people are insured either through the individual health insurance exchanges, the expansion of Medicaid or the ability of children to stay on their parents' plans until age 26. The uninsured rate has plummeted, and stood at 8.9% in the first six months of 2016.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
This is a fairly good writeup on the fact that Obamacare is here for awhile regardles...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/10/news/econo...linkId=31023015

Trump has yet to lay out a detailed plan on how he'd replace Obamacare. But it's unlikely he and Congress will do anything that kills Obamacare for those who sign up for coverage next year, experts say. Open enrollment has already started, and the Obama administration estimated more than 11.4 million people will be insured through the exchanges in 2017.

Any legislation will probably include a delayed shuttering of the exchanges -- and of the federal subsidies program that millions depend on to afford the policies -- to give enrollees time to find coverage elsewhere. The insurance industry will also need a period to adjust since any swift changes to the individual market could throw their businesses into turmoil.

Six years after President Obama's signature health reform law was passed, Obamacare has become an integral part of the nation's health care landscape. Some 20 million people are insured either through the individual health insurance exchanges, the expansion of Medicaid or the ability of children to stay on their parents' plans until age 26. The uninsured rate has plummeted, and stood at 8.9% in the first six months of 2016.

Bummer. Small business will forever remain f***ed over.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
My dentist is going to be pissed. He was very excited about Tuesday's outcome. He didn't want to retire because of his staff, but Obamacare has been pushing him that way.

I think that is exactly what he was saying...bummer that Obamacare was here to stay for a bit longer, do to the size and reach of it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Indeed it's quite a constraint on small businesses. They'll lead you to think it'll help the lower class but all the corporations (at least in the service industry) cut people's hours to make sure they don't get Obamacare.

Corporations have been keeping people under 40 hours long before Obamacare. Unfortunately rules that would protect those type of workers are never going to get any traction unless the country dramatically shifts left.

Indeed it's quite a constraint on small businesses. They'll lead you to think it'll help the lower class but all the corporations (at least in the service industry) cut people's hours to make sure they don't get Obamacare.

How does that work? Figure keeping them on FT for benefits keeps them off OC, not the other way. I'm clueless on business.

It certainly could have in theory, but the modifications and the push back of insurance companies is making it not so. Pretty much every good idea was bastardized in some way the last 8 years. Obamacare put some infrastructure in place to have a better healthcare system, but someone needs to fix the errors with not only the policy but with the insurance companies themselves.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
How does that work? Figure keeping them on FT for benefits keeps them off OC, not the other way. I'm clueless on business.

Well what he said is not 100% correct. Originally the bill made it a 30 hour work week to try and prevent what employers had previously been doing prior, which was to give an employee 39 hours so they would not qualify to be part of the insurance plan. This kept the insurance plan cheaper for the employer, which generally limited the insurance to upper management/salary workers.

In 2015 a new law was passed upping the hours back to 40, so you saw employer again going to the old way.

Its a pretty disingenuous (or fundamental misunderstanding) to blame this on the health care law. The health care law originally was trying to help workers who were basically "full time" but getting no benefits.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
It certainly could have in theory, but the modifications and the push back of insurance companies is making it not so. Pretty much every good idea was bastardized in some way the last 8 years. Obamacare put some infrastructure in place to have a better healthcare system, but someone needs to fix the errors with not only the policy but with the insurance companies themselves.

Rock,

Never forget it really isnt about helping those people. Its about convincing them to vote against self interest because 99% beats 1% in every election. Most people are just not informed enough to actually understand the "rules" so when someone says "Im cutting your hours because of Obama" they dont understand that the person who is telling them that, may not be truthful.

I think there are certain people on this board, who forget that when Im not wearing my "good" guy hat, there are people in the 1% who pay me to figure out how to look at the rules and make sure they make the most money while giving out the least benefits.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Rock,

Never forget it really isnt about helping those people. Its about convincing them to vote against self interest because 99% beats 1% in every election. Most people are just not informed enough to actually understand the "rules" so when someone says "Im cutting your hours because of Obama" they dont understand that the person who is telling them that, may not be truthful.

I think there are certain people on this board, who forget that when Im not wearing my "good" guy hat, there are people in the 1% who pay me to figure out how to look at the rules and make sure they make the most money while giving out the least benefits.

Rich people don't get rich by handing out money.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
When I started at the restaurant in 2011 we had plenty of servers who worked full time and got benefits. When Obamacare went into effect they made it only so only 5 front of house employees got benefits other than managers. Everyone else has to be kept under 30 hours. We lost a big chunk of our staff due to it. Now we have servers who don't clock in until they get their first table and clock out when they're doing the closing sidework in hopes of getting another shift out of it.

Why?

Has your employer ever told you why? Not just said "its obamacare" but told you the actual reason. Because, does your employer have over 50 employees? Because if they had less, they didnt even have to be in Obamacare, but if they "chose" to, they got a tax credit. Many small businesses decided they wanted the tax credit at the expense of employees.

But not many employers tell that to employees.

Edited by Soxbadger

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ku-klux-klan-hol...-230227525.html

KKK rally scheduled for NC, Duke celebrates Trump victory for "our people"

Yeah, the whole thing with blaming Obamacare is overblown...it's easy to make a villain/bad guy, especially if he's an "Other" but the fact of the matter is that casual restaurant dining is experience tons of upheaval and diminished profitability over the past five years. That has little to nothing to do with who is actually president.

But it's a lot easier to hide under the cover of "It's Obama's fault!" rather than to admit they were taking tax credits and increasing profitability while squeezing the workers. Nothing new there.

All those workers/families who lose health insurance and were tepid/lukewarm in their support of it because of the politicization of this topic since Hillarycare back in 1993 and 1994 might be wishing they had SOMETHING, rather than nothing at all.

To expect competition/supply & demand to solve societal problems has never been the aim or goal of capitalism. It's to separate the "winners" and "losers" out (if your perspective on life is more oriented around material wealth and acquisition as the means to achieve happiness), those who own their own companies versus those who labor for others.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ku-klux-klan-hol...-230227525.html

KKK rally scheduled for NC, Duke celebrates Trump victory for "our people"

Yeah, the whole thing with blaming Obamacare is overblown...it's easy to make a villain/bad guy, especially if he's an "Other" but the fact of the matter is that casual restaurant dining is experience tons of upheaval and diminished profitability over the past five years. That has little to nothing to do with who is actually president.

But it's a lot easier to hide under the cover of "It's Obama's fault!" rather than to admit they were taking tax credits and increasing profitability while squeezing the workers. Nothing new there.

All those workers/families who lose health insurance and were tepid/lukewarm in their support of it because of the politicization of this topic since Hillarycare back in 1993 and 1994 might be wishing they had SOMETHING, rather than nothing at all.

To expect competition/supply & demand to solve societal problems has never been the aim or goal of capitalism. It's to separate the "winners" and "losers" out (if your perspective on life is more oriented around material wealth and acquisition as the means to achieve happiness), those who own their own companies versus those who labor for others.

This is where Trump needs to find a podium and denounce this type of action immediately. He really needs to do this.

A Muslim woman in Louisiana who told police she was attacked with a metal object and robbed of her headscarf and wallet by two men wearing Donald Trump clothing just hours after Trump was elected president admitted to police today that she made it up, Lafayette police told ABC News.

“She made up the entire story about being attacked, about her hijab being taken. There was no truth to any of it,” Lafayette Police Department spokesman Cpl. Karol Ratcliff said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/muslim-stud...mits-made/story

Ho boy, this doesn't help anything. Now all stories will be assumed made up.

FWIW, I just posted this on Facebook.

To my few Facebook friends who were for Donald Trump. I'd like to challenge you to share some positive stories about the coming Trump Presidency. The few Facebook friends of mine who were for Trump keep sharing snarky memes.

During the election, everything was about how Hillary is a criminal. Now it's making fun of people who don't support Trump and making fun of protesters.

I, personally, hope Trump does an amazing job.

So, I challenge you who wish to Make America Great Again to swap from these types of posts to posts about policy and, if you can find them, positivity regarding a Donald Trump presidency.

My first link would be to his latest tweet where he reverses course from condemning the protests and says "We will all come together and be proud!"

That was a good message. Now, I think another great move for him would be to find a podium and denounce the Ku Kluk Klan victory parade happening in North Carolina today.

Switch to positive!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 07:12 AM)
Wishing for him to fail is like hoping the plane crashes because you don't like the pilot. We all want to move forward and get to where we are going safely.

We all saw that image yesterday on social media. And, of course, completely agree with it. Glad you shared it here, too.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Actually no. If you read you would see that a baby could survive with science (feeding tube, etc) so obviously they are "human".

Nice try, keep them coming.

I did misread. Can a 20 week old survive outside of the womb, yep. Again your definition is nonsense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
We have been over reasonable positions.

If you want to argue that at some point after pregnancy there is a moment where the cells become "human" and therefore should be protected, I 100% agree with that. But that is not the argument. He is saying all abortion is murder. And there is no way anyone can scientifically argue that at day 1 its the equivalent of a "human".

You would have a point if you could point to a single instance where conception led to something else...cat, dog, unknown creature....anything but what I've said, a human being. It's always a human being at conception.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
You would have a point if you could point to a single instance where conception led to something else...cat, dog, unknown creature....anything but what I've said, a human being. It's always a human being at conception.

From a philosophical perspective, I would be inclined to stick with what seems to be the general view: zygotes are not persons. I do accept the obvious: a zygote is alive (as is an amoeba or any cell in my body), a zygote has full human DNA (as does almost any cell in my body), and a zygote has the potential to be an important part of a causal chain that leads to a human being (as does any cell in my body that could be used in cloning). However, these qualities of a zygote do not seem to be sufficient to establish it as a person. After all, the relevant qualities of the zygote seem to be duplicated by some of the cells in our bodies and it would be absurd to regard each of us as a collective of persons.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Im 100% fine with this way of thinking. And if ever science became so advanced that you could remove the cells at day 1 and save them, I would have a really hard time arguing that abortion should be legal. Because at that point giving away the cells would be akin to giving a child away for adoption.

But as of today, that is not scientifically feasible.

What science can do and not do at a given time does not invalidate the state.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
FWIW, I just posted this on Facebook.

To my few Facebook friends who were for Donald Trump. I'd like to challenge you to share some positive stories about the coming Trump Presidency. The few Facebook friends of mine who were for Trump keep sharing snarky memes.

During the election, everything was about how Hillary is a criminal. Now it's making fun of people who don't support Trump and making fun of protesters.

I, personally, hope Trump does an amazing job.

So, I challenge you who wish to Make America Great Again to swap from these types of posts to posts about policy and, if you can find them, positivity regarding a Donald Trump presidency.

My first link would be to his latest tweet where he reverses course from condemning the protests and says "We will all come together and be proud!"

That was a good message. Now, I think another great move for him would be to find a podium and denounce the Ku Kluk Klan victory parade happening in North Carolina today.

Switch to positive!

Same challenge for those that did not support President Elect Trump.

As for the KKK, as President you can't comment after every single radical group. If he does for the KKK fine, if he doesn't, totally understandable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 07:12 AM)
Wishing for him to fail is like hoping the plane crashes because you don't like the pilot. We all want to move forward and get to where we are going safely.

Wow. Great post. We agree finally.