President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

For those advising others to wait it out and see how a Trump administration turns out before criticizing, he just hired notorious racist/misogynist/anti-semite/xenophobe Steve Bannon as his chief strategist. This is looking very scary already.

This is Republican candidate John Kasich's strategist responding to the news:

John Weaver

‏@JWGOP

The racist, fascist extreme right is represented footsteps from the Oval Office. Be very vigilant America.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
For those advising others to wait it out and see how a Trump administration turns out before criticizing, he just hired notorious racist/misogynist/anti-semite/xenophobe Steve Bannon as his chief strategist. This is looking very scary already.

He begins outlining his plans for internment camps for 3 million mexicans on 60 minutes tonight.

60 Minutes revelations...

4. He wants any of his supporters attacking minorities to “stop it.”

Trump feigned ignorance when Stahl asked him about the rash of racially charged attacks on minorities since his election: “I’m very surprised to hear that. I hate to hear it.” (He added, “I think it’s a very small amount.”) What would he say to Trump supporters taunting and attacking minorities? “I say stop it. If it helps. I’ll say it right to the camera: Stop it.” He later added, “I think it’s horrible, if it’s happening.” But he cautioned: “I think it’s built up by the press.”

8. He won’t fight to overturn gay marriage.

Opposition to LGBT rights has been a part of the Republican platform for decades, but Trump signaled that he doesn’t want to continue that fight. When Stahl brought up the LGBT community, he proudly replied, “I mentioned them at the Republican national convention.” And he’s not planning to oppose gay marriage in the courts, he says: “It’s irrelevant, because it’s already settled. It’s done. I’m fine with that.”

So a "border fence" in some places....and won't commit to prosecuting the Clintons/Clinton Foundation.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/donald-trump-60-mi...-015817963.html

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
60 Minutes revelations...

4. He wants any of his supporters attacking minorities to “stop it.”

Trump feigned ignorance when Stahl asked him about the rash of racially charged attacks on minorities since his election: “I’m very surprised to hear that. I hate to hear it.” (He added, “I think it’s a very small amount.”) What would he say to Trump supporters taunting and attacking minorities? “I say stop it. If it helps. I’ll say it right to the camera: Stop it.” He later added, “I think it’s horrible, if it’s happening.” But he cautioned: “I think it’s built up by the press.”

8. He won’t fight to overturn gay marriage.

Opposition to LGBT rights has been a part of the Republican platform for decades, but Trump signaled that he doesn’t want to continue that fight. When Stahl brought up the LGBT community, he proudly replied, “I mentioned them at the Republican national convention.” And he’s not planning to oppose gay marriage in the courts, he says: “It’s irrelevant, because it’s already settled. It’s done. I’m fine with that.”

So a "border fence" in some places....and won't commit to prosecuting the Clintons/Clinton Foundation.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/donald-trump-60-mi...-015817963.html

That was a pretty telling interview. Seems like Trump is already coming back toward the middle a little.

This massive, beautiful wall is going to be part "fence" in some places? I can only imagine how beautiful a Trump chain link fence will appear when compared to the average Tru-link fence,

Of the 12 million or so illegals that he campaigned so hard to get rid of, Trump is going to immediately get rid of 2-3 million of the criminals, and then deal with the rest. Didn't seem like the plan was to deport the rest, though.

Clintons are nice. May not have a special prosecutor. Trump is going to be extremely busy. So, was he going to be the one prosecuting them? Not sure how his busy schedule has anything to do with whether or not the Clintons face charges.

Obama-care is apparently not as big of a disaster as he had us believing. He wants to keep the healthcare for pre-existing conditions and make some other changes. Doesn't sound like he's just dumping the whole thing. Replacing the bad parts. Isn't that what anyone would do? But, you can't make changes until you have it for a little while and see what does and doesn't work. Might help to have a little cooperation from the rest of the elected officials who vote on the changes, too.

When asked about his Supreme Court and whether it would lead to abortion being outlawed, he said the judges he appoints will be pro-life and added something about the 2nd amendment. When pushed about abortion, he said it would go to the states.

LBGT rights isn't an issue because it's been settled. It's the law. Not sure how that differs from abortion, but what do I know?

He was asked about running an anti-lobbying platform, and then immediately bringing in a bunch of lobbyists to advise him. He basically said, that's the only people in Washington. Wasn't asked specifically about his cabinet (wouldn't reveal names), but I wonder how him bringing in Giuliani, Christie, etc is any different from Hillary's 30 years as an insider. Aren't Giuliani and Christie insiders?

He wasn't super cocky about ISIS following his meeting with Obama, either. I guess when the guy who is actually tasked with the fight gave Trump a little inside info, Trump figured out that it's much easier to fight the fight from the sidelines and play Monday morning QB after every mistake.

Anyway, all that said, I think he came off ok. It's pretty apparent to me that it's one thing to run with the hope of being voted President, and a whole other thing for it to be a reality.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
He's expected to split time on weekends in NJ, Trump Tower/NYC and Mar A Lago in FL.

Oooohhhh...is that because nothing happens on the weekends?

/green

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Oooohhhh...is that because nothing happens on the weekends?

/green

Bah, it's the 21st century. It doesn't matter if he's ordering deportations from the White House or from New York, the brown people wind up in prison all the same.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Bah, it's the 21st century. It doesn't matter if he's ordering deportations from the White House or from New York, the brown people wind up in prison all the same.

Yes, but it does send a message that he's not fully committed to the job IMO. He's still wanting to be near his businesses.

So, how long do you think the "not Hillary" hangover will last? By that I mean how long will the people who voted for him wait to turn on him for not doing what he campaigned on. (Deporting Mexicans and Muslims, prosecuting Clinton). That's a couple of examples I don't see happening. (at least not wholesale (deportations))

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
So, how long do you think the "not Hillary" hangover will last? By that I mean how long will the people who voted for him wait to turn on him for not doing what he campaigned on. (Deporting Mexicans and Muslims, prosecuting Clinton). That's a couple of examples I don't see happening. (at least not wholesale (deportations))

i dunno man, i continue to be surprised at how much people love what he says and completely ignore what he does.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
That was a pretty telling interview. Seems like Trump is already coming back toward the middle a little.

This massive, beautiful wall is going to be part "fence" in some places? I can only imagine how beautiful a Trump chain link fence will appear when compared to the average Tru-link fence,

Of the 12 million or so illegals that he campaigned so hard to get rid of, Trump is going to immediately get rid of 2-3 million of the criminals, and then deal with the rest. Didn't seem like the plan was to deport the rest, though.

Clintons are nice. May not have a special prosecutor. Trump is going to be extremely busy. So, was he going to be the one prosecuting them? Not sure how his busy schedule has anything to do with whether or not the Clintons face charges.

Obama-care is apparently not as big of a disaster as he had us believing. He wants to keep the healthcare for pre-existing conditions and make some other changes. Doesn't sound like he's just dumping the whole thing. Replacing the bad parts. Isn't that what anyone would do? But, you can't make changes until you have it for a little while and see what does and doesn't work. Might help to have a little cooperation from the rest of the elected officials who vote on the changes, too.

When asked about his Supreme Court and whether it would lead to abortion being outlawed, he said the judges he appoints will be pro-life and added something about the 2nd amendment. When pushed about abortion, he said it would go to the states.

LBGT rights isn't an issue because it's been settled. It's the law. Not sure how that differs from abortion, but what do I know?

He was asked about running an anti-lobbying platform, and then immediately bringing in a bunch of lobbyists to advise him. He basically said, that's the only people in Washington. Wasn't asked specifically about his cabinet (wouldn't reveal names), but I wonder how him bringing in Giuliani, Christie, etc is any different from Hillary's 30 years as an insider. Aren't Giuliani and Christie insiders?

He wasn't super cocky about ISIS following his meeting with Obama, either. I guess when the guy who is actually tasked with the fight gave Trump a little inside info, Trump figured out that it's much easier to fight the fight from the sidelines and play Monday morning QB after every mistake.

Anyway, all that said, I think he came off ok. It's pretty apparent to me that it's one thing to run with the hope of being voted President, and a whole other thing for it to be a reality.

I can't knock much anything that he hit on last night. In fact, in general, I'm pretty happy with the more public stances he's taken since becoming president-elect. We will see how it continues. It actually is funny cause most of what he has put out I presume would have the mega die-hards who voted for him pretty upset.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Interesting that he's already publicly criticized peaceful protests and critiques from the press but has yet to condemn the rash of hate crimes in his name.

I thought I read a clip from the 60 minute interview where he did exactly that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Interesting that he's already publicly criticized peaceful protests and critiques from the press but has yet to condemn the rash of hate crimes in his name.

You should get caught up before you post things.