Who is the first guy traded ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
I feel like trading Lawrie is unneccessary. He isn't expensive, he won't net you back anything franchise altering, and he is a low-chance lottery ticket to improve his value.

I was thinking along the same lines. I don't think he has much value now and I don't think he will have much value in July. I don't see his value changing much between now and the trade deadline. He can be a cheap stop-gap at 3B for a full season if they do deal Frazier and if you want to move him in July, go for it. I would expect back something similar to what we gave up for him.

Edited by soxfan2014

I feel like trading Lawrie is unneccessary. He isn't expensive, he won't net you back anything franchise altering, and he is a low-chance lottery ticket to improve his value.

Yah, I think the reason is more-so to give Saladino the 2B job. I guess if Frazier is traded, either Lawrie or Saldino could play 3B. Either way, Tyler should be in the lineup if this team isn't going for it.

If you are rebuilding, no real good reason to keep him. Trade him for a lottery ticket and figure out if Sanchez is ever going to be an everyday player. Theres also a decent chance that they get a quality SS back in one of their rebuilding deals, and that could displace Anderson.

If the team is rebuilding I have no problem running out:

SS Anderson

3B Saladino

DH Garcia

RF Liriano

1B Davidson

2B Sanchez

LF Coats

C Navarez

CF Tilson

The team won't win a ton, but you can figure which guys are going to be long term pieces and which are never going to amount to anything. I am sure at least 3 of those guys will be displaced by players coming back in trades and they probably won't trade all of their vets. If you are going to be bad, be really bad and get some extra bonus money in the draft.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
If you are rebuilding, no real good reason to keep him. Trade him for a lottery ticket and figure out if Sanchez is ever going to be an everyday player. Theres also a decent chance that they get a quality SS back in one of their rebuilding deals, and that could displace Anderson.

SS Anderson

3B Saladino

DH Garcia

RF Liriano

1B Davidson

2B Sanchez

LF Coats

C Navarez

CF Tilson

The team won't win a ton, but you can figure which guys are going to be long term pieces and which are never going to amount to anything. I am sure at least 3 of those guys will be displaced by players coming back in trades and they probably won't trade all of their vets. If you are going to be bad, be really bad and get some extra bonus money in the draft.

That would be one of the worst teams in the history of the league. You and whoever they were playing and their fans would be the only ones who didn't have a problem with that line up.

I understand the concept of rebuilding. I understand why some really want it, and some thing a step or two back makes sense, but it's clear you don't spend much money if any on White Sox baseball if you are OK with that line up. Many still do. I don't spend a lot, but many still do. They won't if they got it up the ass like that.

Edited by Dick Allen

SS Anderson

3B Saladino

DH Garcia

RF Liriano

1B Davidson

2B Sanchez

LF Coats

C Navarez

CF Tilson

If we are trading Q and Sale and Eaton, we for sure will get some everyday guys in that lineup.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
That would be one of the worst teams in the history of the league. You and whoever they were playing and their fans would be the only ones who didn't have a problem with that line up.

I understand the concept of rebuilding. I understand why some really want it, and some thing a step or two back makes sense, but it's clear you don't spend much money if any on White Sox baseball if you are OK with that line up. Many still do. I don't spend a lot, but many still do. They won't if they got it up the ass like that.

This. There is no way a lineup would ever look like that. They would do what other rebuilding teams have done (like the Cubs in recent years) and sign MLB stop-gaps looking to bounce back on one year deals to fill in around some of the young guys and deal off in July. There is also zero chance they deal Sale, Quintana, Eaton, Abreu, Jones, Robertson and the other short-term guys in just a few months. Some of these guys will be here on Opening Day (I expect one of Sale/Q, Eaton and Abreu at least).

Edited by soxfan2014

As I said, I expect that some of those players would be bumped out by upgrades that are brought in from trades, but there's really no reason to spend money on vets when you have no chance at competing. Invest the money in other places mostly scouting and development, and keep payroll flexbility to take on some bad contracts to get some quality prospects, like when the Braves got Touissant for taking on Bronson Arroyos dead money.

I think reality is we would see better players but they would be young (benintendi) and unreliable. Will still be really bad early on. Many of the rumored position players are likely starters on our team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
I think reality is we would see better players but they would be young (benintendi) and unreliable. Will still be really bad early on. Many of the rumored position players are likely starters on our team.

It's one thing if you have a top prospect or 2 sprinkled in. But that line up is beyond putrid.

It's one thing to be bad. It's another thing to be lucky to win 40 games bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
It's one thing if you have a top prospect or 2 sprinkled in. But that line up is beyond putrid.

Oh, no doubt, that lineup is bad for Charlotte.

Potential stop-gappy type of players who could take a 1-year deal to try to bounce back:

Colby Rasmus (OF)

Carlos Gomez (OF)

Pedro Alvarez (DH)

Kendrys Morales (DH)

Ryan Hanigan (backup C or just bring him in on a minor league deal; could possibly be a mentor to young catchers in camp)

Just skimming the list of free-agents, I wanted to include some older players (Holliday, Beltran, Utley) but figured they would look to try to win one more time. Also didn't want to waste time listing pitchers as there seem to be many as options.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
Potential stop-gappy type of players who could take a 1-year deal to try to bounce back:

Colby Rasmus (OF)

Carlos Gomez (OF)

Pedro Alvarez (DH)

Kendrys Morales (DH)

Ryan Hanigan (backup C or just bring him in on a minor league deal; could possibly be a mentor to young catchers in camp)

Just skimming the list of free-agents, I wanted to include some older players (Holliday, Beltran, Utley) but figured they would look to try to win one more time. Also didn't want to waste time listing pitchers as there seem to be many as options.

Yeah, the older guys are probably looking to win, and the guys you mentioned are looking to be regulars and hopefully make themselves another contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Yeah, the older guys are probably looking to win, and the guys you mentioned are looking to be regulars and hopefully make themselves another contract.

Yep and they can find opportunities as regulars on rebuilding teams, possibly the Sox.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)

I wouldn't mind. To me, there isn't much difference between 40 wins and 65-70 wins. As a matter of fact, I'd rather win 40 games and get the #1 pick in the draft for a few years.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
I wouldn't mind. To me, there isn't much difference between 40 wins and 65-70 wins. As a matter of fact, I'd rather win 40 games and get the #1 pick in the draft for a few years.

I think he was looking at it as more of a going to the ballpark and watching the games stand point. If they trotted that starting lineup that was posted on the previous page out there most of the season, I certainly wouldn't go to games and likely not watch. Of course, there would be some good MLB ready prospects brought back in the deals so we shouldn't have to worry about seeing that kind of lineup.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)

But wouldn't those guys have a better chance to win by signing with a rebuilding team?

Follow my logic here. If they choose a team during free agency that team may or may not be in contention come the trade deadline. There are no sure things, even a team like the Cubs, as sure as you can get right now, could have a ton of injuries or other problems next season and be out of contention come July.

However, if they choose a team that they know will most likely be a seller come July, that team would be looking to trade them to a contender for prospects. Far fetched? Maybe, but maybe not.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
But wouldn't those guys have a better chance to win by signing with a rebuilding team?

Follow my logic here. If they choose a team during free agency that team may or may not be in contention come the trade deadline. There are no sure things, even a team like the Cubs, as sure as you can get right now, could have a ton of injuries or other problems next season and be out of contention come July.

However, if they choose a team that they know will most likely be a seller come July, that team would be looking to trade them to a contender for prospects. Far fetched? Maybe, but maybe not.

It's also possible they go to a rebuilding team and just suck as they are older.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
I think he was looking at it as more of a going to the ballpark and watching the games stand point. If they trotted that starting lineup that was posted on the previous page out there most of the season, I certainly wouldn't go to games and likely not watch. Of course, there would be some good MLB ready prospects brought back in the deals so we shouldn't have to worry about seeing that kind of lineup.

I see what you're saying, but still... a rebuild is a rebuild. I know it would suck to see them lose almost every game, but if it's going to get higher draft pics then I'm all for it. We'd be losing anyway, right?

SS Anderson

3B Saladino

DH Garcia

RF Liriano

1B Davidson

2B Sanchez

LF Coats

C Navarez

CF Tilson

If you are rebuilding, you stand to gain more from a rebound than you do dumping him now. he isn't even costing you that much.