White Sox listening on Frazier

southsider2k5

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
If the team moves Frazier who plays third base? Matt Davidson? You trade a player who just hit 40 home runs for a prospect?

I think the belief would be that you get a guy like Devers in a trade to replace Frazier in a year or two

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
If you're rebuilding, you go out and sign someone like Valbuena or Hill to play 3b in the case that a Sale or other player trade does not bring back a valid 3b option.

Why wouldn't you just give Davidson a look? I'm not a huge fan of his, but I think he did enough in 2016 to warrant a shot assuming we go full-rebuild and don't acquire anyone better.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Why wouldn't you just give Davidson a look? I'm not a huge fan of his, but I think he did enough in 2016 to warrant a shot assuming we go full-rebuild and don't acquire anyone better.

I'd have no issue with that but have little confidence in him. If I were going to give him substantial playing time, signing Valbuena as a lefty to go along with him would make some sense to me.

With a guy like Davidson that I think has busted, I would find more value in signing Valbuena to a contract and using them interchangeably than just trying out Davidson as the only option. Valbuena's flexible enough to play more than one position if Davidson does show some promise, and if Valbuena stayed healthy and got off to a good start (he outhit Frazier last year and hit 25 HR in 2015) he'd be a potential moveable asset at the deadline - someone out there will have a 3b who gets hurt creating a need for a cheap rental.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
He's averaged 3.8 fWAR per 162 games played for his career. Even in a down year like last year he managed 2.4 fWAR, which is above average. He also had a unsustainable .236 BABIP last year that hurt him. Guys that can play solid defense at 3rd and hit 40 home runs don't grow on trees. Frazier definitely has value.

Which in my opinion means we keep Frazier. You are just weakening this team by tearing down our strengths instead of building on them

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
Some guy at work convinced me for about 5 minutes today at work that the Sox traded Frazier straight up for Soler, and I wasn't sure how to feel about it. Obviously the Cubs don't need Frazier, but I couldn't figure out if that would be a good trade for us or not, regardless of the Cubs need for him or not.

Soler is Avi Garcia in training.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
In training....he is already there. That's why Fowler may end up back there.

They really don't have room for Soler. Schwarber, Zobrist, Heyward, Almora will all see time in the outfield. If Baez is moved, then Zobrist is likely back in the infield which I could see happening if they really want to bring back Fowler. But with all the interest in Fowler, he isn't going to be cheap.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 06:47 AM)
Yeah, that's exactly what a rebuilding team should be interested in. Relievers.

In terms of Frazier, unless someone is willing to overpay, I'd be alright with an extension. If they go full rebuild, every position can't be a 23 year old. It doesn't work that way. Over his career Frazier has always been known to be a leader, solid in the clubhouse and can be used effectively in marketing materials (I know that isn't that important, but it does play a minor role).

Given Frazier value on the market, how much an extension would cost, a 3 year deal would be fine, if he was open to sticking around during a rebuild.

You laugh, but honestly, relievers have been spun for incredible value at the deadline recently, as you are well aware. It wouldn't be dumb to accept relievers back if for whatever reason, that was what was being offered, only to then flip them at the deadline.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
Soler is a good buy low candidate.

Maybe but I think he's just bad at this point. A few years back, I would have jumped all over a trade for him but I don't think he's ever going to be anything more than a 4th of.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Maybe but I think he's just bad at this point. A few years back, I would have jumped all over a trade for him but I don't think he's ever going to be anything more than a 4th of.

Yeah, I should add I had a great sentence to finish off that thought "for a rebuilding team".

Frazier for Soler not really my bag but I think getting players like that is smart to flip later

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Yeah, I should add I had a great sentence to finish off that thought "for a rebuilding team".

Frazier for Soler not really my bag but I think getting players like that is smart to flip later

replacing frazier with Davidson is risky. Davidson has yet to prove himself. Frazier is the real deal , how many 3rd basemen do we have to go through just to find one not Frazier's equal.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
replacing frazier with Davidson is risky. Davidson has yet to prove himself. Frazier is the real deal , how many 3rd basemen do we have to go through just to find one not Frazier's equal.

We have frazier for another year. What do you expect to accomplish next year?

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)

Davidson has barely been able to prove himself as a AAA player. I would be incredibly shocked if he ever showed he could hit major league pitching on the regular basis with the historic hole in his swing.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)

In terms of Frazier, unless someone is willing to overpay, I'd be alright with an extension. If they go full rebuild, every position can't be a 23 year old. It doesn't work that way. Over his career Frazier has always been known to be a leader, solid in the clubhouse and can be used effectively in marketing materials (I know that isn't that important, but it does play a minor role).

Given Frazier value on the market, how much an extension would cost, a 3 year deal would be fine, if he was open to sticking around during a rebuild.

If we can pry Devers away from Bosox, Frazier won't be around for 3 years.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)

I actually remember Frazier saying once in a conversation this year he specifically said he wants to stay in Chicago, whether that means rebuilding or not. I remember him specifically saying that, and I hope he does.

BP Boston offered up this trade of Frazier in a recent post....

Todd Frazier and Nate Jones to the Red Sox for...

C Blake Swihart

SS Mauricio Dubon

SP Henry Owens

RP Williams Jerez

Not a terribly exciting return, but I think it's probably a fair one. Swihart we all pretty much know, Henry Owens used to be a top prospect, Dubon is 22 and hit .339 this season in 62 games in AA (stole 30 bases combined between A+ and AA), and Jerez is just kind of a throw-in reliever.