Thomas quote

Patrick_Bateman

"We are still a great team, and we aren't giving in to anyone," said White Sox designated hitter Frank Thomas, who drove in his 101st run and reached base three times Monday, of the team's spirited effort against New York. "The bottom line is another team got hotter than we did down the stretch.

"There's still a fight for second, and Kansas City is battling us to the wire. It should be an exciting four-game set there to end the year."

This teams mentality never ceases to amaze me. Still a fight for second? If I'm not mistaken, the Twins haven't won the division yet. Albeit a very, very long shot, the magic number is still 2. But we're fighting for second. Unbelievable.

It sure sounded to me that they had given up. If they are fighting so hard, why isn't Carl playing? If they wanted to win so bad, why won't JG start again this year. I think Thomas just doesn't want to sound like he has packed it in. Him saying they're fighting for second is a joke. I would have said the truth if I was him, first or nothing.

"We are still a great team, and we aren't giving in to anyone," said White Sox designated hitter Frank Thomas, who drove in his 101st run and reached base three times Monday, of the team's spirited effort against New York. "The bottom line is another team got hotter than we did down the stretch.

"There's still a fight for second, and Kansas City is battling us to the wire. It should be an exciting four-game set there to end the year."

This teams mentality never ceases to amaze me. Still a fight for second? If I'm not mistaken, the Twins haven't won the division yet. Albeit a very, very long shot, the magic number is still 2. But we're fighting for second. Unbelievable.

You sounds surprised that they have quit? I am kind of surprised that Frank said that to the press, but I guess it really shouldn't surprise me when he does something like that... :bang

You sounds surprised that they have quit? I am kind of surprised that Frank said that to the press, but I guess it really shouldn't surprise me when he does something like that... :bang

No, not surprised. I guess just amazed at the way the team I root for thinks. Playing for second when the division isn't even wrapped up. Wow.

This team was also all smiles in the dugout when we were playing NY and the game was still tied 3-3.  Where was that energy and enthusiasm in Minnesota?  It's almost like these guys play better when they're out of it.

I've noticed that same thing since the second half of 2000. As soon as there are expectations of this team, they fold, asses pucker, whatever you want to call it. Last year, once they were out of it, they played a nice last month of baseball. This is nothing new.

This team was also all smiles in the dugout when we were playing NY and the game was still tied 3-3.  Where was that energy and enthusiasm in Minnesota?  It's almost like these guys play better when they're out of it.

That's because there's no pressure.

Frank saying they are playing for second place was a Freudian Slip. They play defeated because they are thinking they're defeated.

Losers.

This is from a guy who said he had the sun in his eyes when he choked during the 2000 playoffs. Doesn't surprise me coming out of his mouth at all.

BINGO!!! You hit the nail squarly on the head! In 2000, they shocked themselves and basically "won" the division before there was any pressure on them. 2001 and 2002 we sucked until we were basically out of it, then started playing well when there was no chance in hell of winning it. This year, a little pressure at the end and it was el foldo time.