Will Brett Lawrie be Non-Tendered?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
That Source stuff is laughable. A non tender wouldn't be official until 12-2. I don't doubt he's gone, but there are people on twitter that know stuff, and some that just want attention.

Are you sure that's how it works? I'm assuming you can non-tender prior to the deadline if you need a roster spot.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
This. I'm waiting for someone credible to confirm it.

He's definitely not coming back to the Sox and a non-tender seems pretty likely. Unfortunately for us, Brett Lawrie is an average at best baseball player who is consistently plagued by injury and makes a non-meaningless amount of money.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
He's definitely not coming back to the Sox and a non-tender seems pretty likely. Unfortunately for us, Brett Lawrie is an average at best baseball player who is consistently plagued by injury and makes a non-meaningless amount of money.

Well I think we can all put 2 and 2 together between his tweets earlier and changing his avatar and bio on twitter. He's gone.

Lawrie is the type of player that a rebuilding team signs to see if he can pick up value and be traded. Seems weird to cut him unless there's something about his injuries that suggests the few million he'll earn will certainly be squandered

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
I'll toss in another random tweet speculation that I saw.... Someone said maybe the Dodgers cleared Howie Kendrick out of the way to open up a Sale trade in which Lawrie is added in.

Find it hard to believe that they'd trade for Lawrie with his injuries but it's an interesting thought. Something more has to be cooking since a non tender announcement is pretty standard, unless I'm incorrect in that line of thought.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Lawrie is the type of player that a rebuilding team signs to see if he can pick up value and be traded. Seems weird to cut him unless there's something about his injuries that suggests the few million he'll earn will certainly be squandered

Yes he is.

What has always concerned my about rebuild is that JR could get nice and comfortable in the perpetual rebuild zone with salaries about 2/3 or less of what we have now. And I say this as one who believes that the Sox salary has been competitive enough to win.

Yes the Sox seem to not get full value for a lot of players- plenty of giveaways. But that is a function of a front office that is not particularly adept at trade negotiation and really doesn't understand value.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 01:44 AM)
I'll toss in another random tweet speculation that I saw.... Someone said maybe the Dodgers cleared Howie Kendrick out of the way to open up a Sale trade in which Lawrie is added in.

That's intriguing at least. Where did you see it?

Edited by SouthSideSale

It is still weird. The 40 man is at 38 right now, so that really shouldn't be an issue. The non tender deadline is 3 weeks away. What if Saladino or whoever you want playing second encounters a physical issue between now and then? His arb number is $5.1 million supposedly. He was over a 1 WAR in 94 games last year, so there is very little chance he won't earn his keep. If you are rebuilding, maybe he gets really hot and you flip him.I suppose the argument against is it isn't like the Sox gave up a boatload to get him when he was cheaper and had more control, and wasn't as big of physical question mark. Perhaps his injury hasn't healed, and he needs surgery or something.

Or maybe they just wanted to do him a solid and let him get on the market sooner.

Or maybe it is nothing at all.

Journey continues, led in wrong direction. It is kind of weird. Maybe they misdiagnosed his injury. You would think with all the response on his Twitter, if it was nothing he would respond.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just for hypothetical sakes, a Sale for Benintendi, Devers, Rodriguez, Kopech, & Swihart trade would require two additional 40 man spots on a net basis and putting us right at 40. With the desire to get certain moves done prior to the CBA expiring, it probably makes sense to have that extra roster spot available now. Obviously this is all dependent on a large multi-player happening soon, but to Dick's point I don't really see another reason to cut bait on him until really need that roster spot.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
Just for hypothetical sakes, a Sale for Benintendi, Devers, Rodriguez, Kopech, & Swihart trade would require two additional 40 man spots on a net basis and putting us right at 40. With the desire to get certain moves done prior to the CBA expiring, it probably makes sense to have that extra roster spot available now. Obviously this is all dependent on a large multi-player happening soon, but to Dick's point I don't really see another reason to cut bait on him until really need that roster spot.

Which is why I think people are just looking far into his tweets. Whitesoxdave said he he had nothing; only rumors which are probably speculation hes been seeing at sites like this one.