Rangers prospect facing charges

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
What? Homophobia is not gender specific.

By law, in America at least, they committed sexual assault. I don't know the law in DR but we'll see if the laughing victim presses charges on his friends.

I think the issue is that this type of hazing is dangerous, regardless of whether the victim is seen laughing.

Is he laughing because they're his friends? Or is he laughing because he wants to fit in and "be one of the boys" and doesn't know how else to react?

Regardless, this type of hazing is unacceptable and should not be permitted. This was more than just hazing. This isn't boys being boys and that kind of mindset is disappointing.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm just being realistic. I also think you're looking at from an America POV. I'm not saying what they did wasn't wrong, gross or terrible decorum from "professionals." That being said, looking at behavior in a foreign men's locker room filled with teenagers and applying American standards to it isn't fair. I don't mean that in an American elitism kind of way either. They just have different societal norms that (likely) no one here understands. It's safe to assume they're not as sensitive on issues like sexual assault. Again, not saying the kids aren't in the wrong, just not sure anyone in here is in the position to act as if thest kids in the same boat as actual rapists.

I played sports in high school. There was some nasty stuff going on in the locker room whenever the coaches were in their lockerrom. Everybody messes with everybody and everyone tries to outdo the person before them. You spend long days together for months on end and it can get crazy. We had one kid who was afraid of worms. So when he messed with the nastiest dude on the team, he got tackled in the shower while the other kid, also naked, stuffed warms in his face. Nobody feared for either of the kids, everybody laughed and it was over when it ended. These idiots took it too far, taped it and sent it out publicly.

Well, I am born in Brazil and raised in Portugal and moved to Canada as a teen. I also played sports and never heard of this tactic specifically. I'm not coming from an American point of view.

Also not trying to single you out or accuse you of anything. You're a great poster here and provider of valuable information. I just disagree on this front. Just because things were done a certain way in the past doesn't mean that's ok. I recall a story of Mark Buehrle, for example, explaining his hazing as a rookie with the Sox. Nothing close to this disturbing, but it bothered him deeply. He took that hazing and decided to treat rookies with respect (buying them suits, etc) and occasional ribbing. I would guess the rooks he treated nicely will do the same to the next generation. I think that's important.

I'm not suggesting rookies should be coddled. But jerking a guy off is too far. Even if it was hypothetically consensual in this case, it could set a dangerous precedent if not punished. Not that they should be crucified necessarily, but it's wrong and they and their peers need to know I think.

Anyways, don't take this as an attack or trying to act more righteous than you. Promise not the case.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 01:26 AM)
Good stuff here. I don't remember where I heard it but when Buehrle got hazed by James Baldwin he went up to him years later and screamed "f*** you!" in his face.

I think it was Marcus Stroman he took under his wing, specifically. What a guy.

Hope all is good here. Now give us some rumours!!

I can see what rabbit is trying to say about it not being as big a deal in their culture compared to ours. But you know what else seems like is treated differently based on stories over the past year? Women abuse (Reyes, Chapman, Puig, Familia). Neither is ok (I get you're not trying to say that though).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 05:48 AM)
I typically agree with raBBit on just about everything, but I'm not sure how anyone can think this is ok in any sense of the word. It's sickening and these guys need to be punished for it. Otherwise it'll be a chain reaction and it'll happen again.

He's not saying its OK. He is saying this is viewed differently as a culture there. There is a difference.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 11:12 PM)
Why is it safe to assume this? It's kind of sickening that you are trying to downplay this as not a serious issue.

Seriously. I've seen some s*** in locker rooms when I played ball in high school, but nothing even remotely close to this.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
There's a saying in baseball clubhouses, "Don't shower with the Dominicans." They don't have the homophobic society America does and they like to mess around.

You are probably gonna get skewered for this comment but its true. It really is a saying.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
You can pick a few words and strip them of context and attribute whatever point you want to a quote. That doesn't change what the broader point was.

"It's pretty messed up and disgraceful from "professionals" but these are teenagers and boys will be boys."

Ok, what you said before it changes what?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
Do you have a point or what?

The comment: but these are teenagers and boys will be boys.

Just doesn't make sense and is not true. We were all teenage boys and that s*** didn't happen so this isn't just something teenage boys do. Yes they make fun of each other, push each other around, fart in their face, etc.. But they don't do this: "on a bed with his arms held behind his back and his legs pinned down. At least four men are seen in addition to the alleged victim, whose penis is exposed, grabbed and maneuvered underneath a hand towel"

I'm not saying you think it is ok what they did but to just classify it as a "boys will be boys" thing is wrong