White Sox' slow start to offseason CBA-related?

caulfield12

Best quote from the article:

Ken Rosenthal said the most immediate effect of a lockout would be turning the winter meetings into a cocktail party, as teams wouldn’t be able to make signings or trades under those circumstances. This could explain why a team like the White Sox -- one whose future might rest with trades rather than free-agent signings -- could be in a holding pattern.

Well there's the excuse I've been waiting for to explain not trading Sale! Not only are we held down by our own management, but now the CBA, owners, union delegates are all conspiring against the Sox when we're poised to change our future (and direction) with perhaps the most significant trade of our generation.

Oh, I know.....it's justifiable to hold off, teams are uncertain, etc. I was expecting more of the, market never materialized like we wanted excuse

Atleast this CBA nonsense will either be resolved or not by Dec 1st

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)
Well there's the excuse I've been waiting for to explain not trading Sale! Not only are we held down by our own management, but now the CBA, owners, union delegates are all conspiring against the Sox when we're poised to change our future (and direction) with perhaps the most significant trade of our generation.

Oh, I know.....it's justifiable to hold off, teams are uncertain, etc. I was expecting more of the, market never materialized like we wanted excuse

Atleast this CBA nonsense will either be resolved or not by Dec 1st

Not just holding off from us, no team would reasonably make their best offer without knowing the leagues compensation structure or how much Sale would bring in as compensation in 2019. This is one I cannot blame Hahn for not getting done yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
Not just holding off from us, no team would reasonably make their best offer without knowing the leagues compensation structure or how much Sale would bring in as compensation in 2019. This is one I cannot blame Hahn for not getting done yet.

Or you could blame him if he had anticipated the CBA would be a problem this off season when things could have changed during the previous couple years. Sales value could be affected if the buying team keeps him and he elects free agency down the road and the buying team doesn't get a draft pick in return. And that situation will affect all the other Sox trade pieces too since they would all have a full year with the buying teams.

Waiting for this particular off season to make changes could end up being a huge blunder.

I thought about this a few days ago when I heard about the issues. My concern should there be a lockout is that, like in 1995, when it is resolved teams will only have a very short window to make trades, signings and so forth.

Any organization, especially one as limited as the Sox front office is, needs as much time as possible to evaluate, compare and think about what they want to do.

I can't imagine Kenny Hahn having to make snap judgments and rushed trades. That won't end well to be sure.

Mark

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
Or you could blame him if he had anticipated the CBA would be a problem this off season when things could have changed during the previous couple years. Sales value could be affected if the buying team keeps him and he elects free agency down the road and the buying team doesn't get a draft pick in return. And that situation will affect all the other Sox trade pieces too since they would all have a full year with the buying teams.

Waiting for this particular off season to make changes could end up being a huge blunder.

This. At least we have our built in excuse when we f*** up this offseason.

Edited by Rowand44

Is Rodon really going to be valued by other teams as the equivalent of Gray or Archer?

The only reason this makes sense is if they won't be competitive in Years 3-5 of the next upcoming 5 year plan...with 2017 and 2018 as clear retrenching/stockpiling two more Top 10 draft picks.

OR they can get the position players they want back for Rodon, but jesus, thinking about how long it will take to have a competitive starting rotation again...and Fulmer didn't exactly inspire much confidence last year. Gonzalez will obviously be gone as well, so that would leave an unending series of question marks unless we pick up the likes of Urias/Giolito/Alvarez to replace them.

The proposed Boston trades, with guys like Owens/Rodriguez/Kopech....you're talking about a high bust rate/relievers or back of the rotation starters. They're unlikely to also send Groome WITH Moncada/Benintendi/Devers (2 of those 3).

Not at all against the idea of trading Rodon. Maybe the Sox see something they don't like like they did with McCarthy. The way Rodon finishes his delivery has always been questioned.

I'm not saying the Sox should trade Rodon, just not against the idea. All depends on the potential return.

Rodon's value will only increase. His best pitching is ahead. The development of his changeup was a huge difference maker in his arsenal the last 2-3 months of the season. Rodon is becoming a complete pitcher and getting deeper in the games. He just needs to continue with his fastball command and he will move into that upper tier of starting pitchers.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
Trading Rodon is just plain stupid and a lateral move for a rebuilding team IMO. Why trade a 23 year old player making the league minimum who's yet to hit his prime? The Sox should absolutely be building around Anderson and Rodon for the future.

Until we're ready to compete again and Rodon has only a year or 2 of control left. He has Scott Boras as his agent. Assuming he pans out, he'll command north of 200 mil as a 27-28 year old stud LHP with a nasty arsenal. There is almost no chance of him being re-signed under current ownership. Unless he REALLY wants to stay with the White Sox...but he has Scott Boras as his agent for a reason - to get the most money possible.

Trade him now? No. But if he breaks out and can command a Sale-like package in a year or 2? You have to do it IMO, especially with the new CBA. That being said it would be a very White Sox-Reinsdorf move to keep him to "compete for a World Series" and end up with very little compensation for his services.

This is all assuming a full rebuild. If we keep "going for it", it would be goofy to deal him.

Edited by Ro Da Don