Kenny Williams is an ALL TIME BAD GM: Hear me out

Carpe Diem

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
He hasn't drafted well. But several geniuses passed on Trout and Seager and Sale.

Trout and Seager were both projected as top 15 picks going into the draft, IIRC. Its not like they were slam dunk 1st overall picks that slid and tons of teams passed on. It's about adavnced scouting at that point.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
Yeah, but then he got picked immediately after we picked. There's a big difference. It's not like Trout was a 3rd rounder and I'm saying this. We had him right in our grasp for the taking.

Thats not a big difference. 24 GMs had the same misguided opinion about Trout, and who knows, maybe a few after the 25th pick would have thought the same thing. But you are hanging it on KW like he was the only one, when he was not

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Thats not a big difference. 24 GMs had the same misguided opinion about Trout, and who knows, maybe a few after the 25th pick would have thought the same thing. But you are hanging it on KW like he was the only one, when he was not

Yes, last year, people wanted to be like the Royals. They passed on all 3. So did Billy Beane, although in Beane's defense, he did get Addison Russell in the Seager draft. A guy who he traded for 2 months of the Shark. If the Sox do that, they are all time bad laughingstocks.

Could you imagine if the Sox had pick 12 in the 2009 draft and drafted Aaron Crowe instead of Mike Trout. Or the 4th pick in the 2010 draft and drafted Christian Colon instead of Chris Sale, or had the 5th pick in 2012 and drafted Kyle Zimmer instead of Cory Seager? Yet many want to be like the Royals who know how to draft and develop.

Edited by Dick Allen

I thought this was an interesting tool to gauge the competence of the front office. Is the problem one of poor scouting and development, or is it in giving up valuable talent in ill-advised trades or to FA, or is it a combination? This metric says that if the Sox had kept all their drafted talent, it really wouldn't have made much of a difference in their record. That tells me their scouting and development is MEH, their trade strategy is MEH, and how they approach FA is MEH...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-th...r-they-drafted/