White Sox to Move Eaton?

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
They honestly probably need reyes in the rotation pretty bad. Just traded Garcia away so they probably need as much depth as possibly. Not sure they can even use reyes in a sale trade.

C-Mart

Wainwright

Wacha

Leake

Lynn

is their rotation as of now with a healthy Lynn. But even then that's only 5 - and they all have questions besides Martinez. So you're probably right...but Reyes would be their 6th guy as of right now.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
C-Mart

Wainwright

Wacha

Leake

Lynn

is their rotation as of now with a healthy Lynn. But even then that's only 5 - and they all have questions besides Martinez. So you're probably right...but Reyes would be their 6th guy as of right now.

Lynn TJS

Martinez nagging issues with his shoulder past couple seasons

Wainwright 2 TJS

Wacha shoulder can't withstand a season.

They have huge questions in their rotation!!!!

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
While they're not even comparable as far as skill goes, it might be wise to trade Eaton at peak value like they did last year with Trayce Thompson. I think Eaton still has several productive years left at a bargain rate, but it'd surprise me if he had another 6+ WAR season like he did in 2016.

His offense has been extremely consistent since joining the Sox. The idea of selling him at peak value makes a lot of sense, but it wouldn't surprise me if Eaton truly is a +10-+15 run defender in RF over the next few years.

While I wouldn't have any problem pouncing on the right return to sell him at what is most likely his peak value, I don't think it's wise to shop him.

As mentioned before, five years of control make him every bit as useful to our next competitor as any of the 5+ year controllable brekaout prospects we're talking about targeting with Sale. Further, OF bats are one of the only things that actually ARE available in this year's free agent class (although many have been signed already), making it at least appear to not be an ideal trading market.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Puig's value is in the toilet right now. I laughed at the talk of him being a centerpiece in a Sale trade.

I am not against a fire Sale (no pun intended), but would prefer to move pieces like Robertson, Cabrera, Frazier first before tading longer term assets

Don't think anyone proposed deals where he is the center piece. Just because a guy is listed first in proposals doesn't mean hes the main piece :lol:

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
While I wouldn't have any problem pouncing on the right return to sell him at what is most likely his peak value, I don't think it's wise to shop him.

As mentioned before, five years of control make him every bit as useful to our next competitor as any of the 5+ year controllable brekaout prospects we're talking about targeting with Sale. Further, OF bats are one of the only things that actually ARE available in this year's free agent class (although many have been signed already), making it at least appear to not be an ideal trading market.

They probably arent shopping him. Its just that teams could be pretty interested in him and they probably wont move him unless its a huge package. Theres probably no urgency on sox side

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)

But guys who can play CF and leadoff aren't among those big OF free agent bats, outside of Fowler. That's where the appeal comes into play from another team's perspective.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)

I think the key indicator for your most valuable guys, like Sale, Q, and Eaton is you need to get back that elite piece. You're not trading these guys for depth. If someone is willing to give you an elite prospect, plus other quality pieces, I think you make the trade. If St Louis for instance comes along and wants to offer some package based on depth for Adam Eaton, you tell them to move right along.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
"But we still have Melky!" -Hawk probably.

Hawk hates sabermetrics so he can go kick rocks

But Melky was -5 in DRS last year...not disastrous...but bad. Eaton basically carried the OF in that statistic.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
If it is going to be a total rebuild, then I think you trade him. If they are going to try to field a good team in 2 years, then keep him.

I think anybody that thinks they are going to do a total rebuild is delusional. It's not necessary. Their core is very, very good. They just need to move one or two guys and they will be ready to compete in 2-3 years.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
I think anybody that thinks they are going to do a total rebuild is delusional. It's not necessary. Their core is very, very good. They just need to move one or two guys and they will be ready to compete in 2-3 years.

Who are you including in this very, very good core? What are their contract situations?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 06:59 AM)
It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Besides, he has 5 years of control. Those guys are not available. We have a thread.

For the longest time, we all knew the White Sox needed a leadoff hitter, with a high on base, who could run. The Sox get that, and he comes with GG quality defense. Sign him to a team friendly extension, has 5 years of control....quick, get rid of him. It will work out perfectly.

I tend to agree with you. Eaton is a hard guy to move unless you get an absolute haul. He should be a key piece of the long-term efforts to rebuild and while I am a proponent of moving prospects, moving a guy as good as Eaton, who should have his peak years ahead of them and is around that long, just doesn't make much sense unless you get totally blown away. That said, if you move Eaton, at least you are moving him at a time when his value should be high (coming off of a career year).

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)

Moving 2 or 3 players doesn't give us the depth dude. Unless those 2 or 3 players were Sale, Q, and Eaton. In which case you're in a full rebuild anyway. We need to trade players for roster depth AND farm depth. We currently have half a roster. Why do it half-ass? Why? You can't wait a few years and do it right? We've been terrible for 10 years anyway. I'm sure we could all survive a rebuild and enjoy watching a roster of young studs mature until they're truly ready to consistently compete anually.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
I tend to agree with you. Eaton is a hard guy to move unless you get an absolute haul. He should be a key piece of the long-term efforts to rebuild and while I am a proponent of moving prospects, moving a guy as good as Eaton, who should have his peak years ahead of them and is around that long, just doesn't make much sense unless you get totally blown away. That said, if you move Eaton, at least you are moving him at a time when his value should be high (coming off of a career year).

I think offensively he will be better. Advanced metric-wise, he will have a hard time replicating his 2016 season, but if anything, that shows a flaw in the system. If he doesn't get assists because no one will run on him, that should be worth some WAR. It's like All Pro corners who go from 8 INTs to 1 or 2. They don't throw the ball their way. Doesn't mean they weren't as valuable. n

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Who are you including in this very, very good core? What are their contract situations?

Eaton, Abreu, Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Jones, Anderson, many others waiting in the wings that should be ready by 2018/2019 (Collins, Burdi, Hansen, Fulmer, Danish, Call). Like it or not there are a ton of quality players in this organization.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Moving 2 or 3 players doesn't give us the depth dude. Unless those 2 or 3 players were Sale, Q, and Eaton. In which case you're in a full rebuild anyway. We need to trade players for roster depth AND farm depth. We currently have half a roster. Why do it half-ass? Why? You can't wait a few years and do it right? We've been terrible for 10 years anyway. I'm sure we could all survive a rebuild and enjoy watching a roster of young studs mature until they're truly ready to consistently compete anually.

If they were to trade away one of Sale/Quintana, and the soon to be gone guys like Frazier, Melky and Robertson they could still get a pile of MLB ready or near ready players and multiple prospects. I'd say we could realistically compete in 2019 if not 2018.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Eaton, Abreu, Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Jones, Anderson, many others waiting in the wings that should be ready by 2018/2019 (Collins, Burdi, Hansen, Fulmer, Danish, Call). Like it or not there are a ton of quality players in this organization.

If they were to trade away one of Sale/Quintana, and the soon to be gone guys like Frazier, Melky and Robertson they could still get a pile of MLB ready or near ready players and multiple prospects. I'd say we could realistically compete in 2019 if not 2018.

You're not going to get a pile of prospects for the likes of Frazier, Melky, or Robertson. You'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 top 100 guys - and that would be for Frazier only.

None of our prospects are elite. None of them. We still have a bottom 10 farm in terms of both talent and depth.

Personally, I'm tired of looking forward to "maybe" being able to compete every year. Disgusted by it, to be honest. It hasn't worked out once in our favor. We need to be sure-fire competitors anually. Not maybe guys. Obviously a full rebuild (especially by Reinsdorf/KW/Hahn) has its own risks. But we have to take these risks at this point - and its the Sox own fault because if we had a legitimate Latin program the past 10 years or actually developed and drafted correctly, we would have been able to supplement our current core. It's time to focus on those areas, particularly with an organization that doesn't spend legitimate money on legitimate free agents.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)

I agree to an extent, but Rodon needs to figure out how to lower his pitch count and go longer into games before I consider him very, very good. Anderson looked good, but really needs to learn how to take a walk, nearly 10:1 K:BBs.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
You're not going to get a pile of prospects for the likes of Frazier, Melky, or Robertson. You'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 top 100 guys - and that would be for Frazier only.

You can get significant prospects for both Frazier and Robertson. Frazier now, Robertson I would probably wait until the middle of the season. If he regains his form at all he will be a very hot commodity come the trade deadline.

It's pretty simple with Eaton.

He's a great player to have on any team with excellent tools. However, he is getting older and he is likely at a very high selling point right now.

So it becomes:

a) Get a haul for Eaton, similar in trade status to Chris Sale (although slightly lower) and immediately accept this offer.

b) Teams undervalue him and you hold and hope to move him at the deadline or next year.

Good player, but not at the right time on the 'Sox. Need to rebuild and he can net you a lot of great pieces and lottery tickets.