Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:36 AM)
While we are on the topic of video games happenings, I swear, EVERY YEAR of MLB The Show I had ended with Sale on the Red Sox at some point. And I think Abreu always ended up going to like either NY or BOS. And the Sox always ended up with Machado I think, or some INF star.

I always had Sale on the Giants for some reason

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Chuck GarfienVerified account

‏@ChuckGarfien

Just like with Sale, White Sox have great leverage with Quintana. Teams trying to win want/need pitching. Quintana is best prize left.

Zero reason for the White Sox to settle for less on Quintana and lower the price. Eventually a team will meet our demands with pitching at such a high premium

Duffy is a flyball pitcher that gives up a lot of hard contact and saw his velocity decline this year as the season went on. It might actually be smart for the Royals to sell high on him. If his strikeout improvement doesn't hold he'll likely not be worth the price the Astros would need to get him. Quintana just makes too much sense. Pony up.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
If you guys want to get mad read the Crawfish Hunting thread about Quintana rumors.

The most important thing to know is that Joe Musgrove could already give them Quintana like production next year.

If the rumored asking price is legit, Musgrove could be the problem

We're prepared to trade players to improve our club right now," Luhnow said before departing from the winter meetings Wednesday night. "We're just not prepared to trade away players that are core to our production in 2017, and those are sometimes the players that are required to get these deals done."

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Duffy is a flyball pitcher that gives up a lot of hard contact and saw his velocity decline this year as the season went on. It might actually be smart for the Royals to sell high on him. If his strikeout improvement doesn't hold he'll likely not be worth the price the Astros would need to get him. Quintana just makes too much sense. Pony up.

Because he started the season as a reliever and then had to ramp up in the first six weeks.

He went 155 ip (2014) to 145 in 2015 to almost 180 last season. Fatigue. He'll be fine, but KC won't give him away since he's their best starting pitcher right now.

But yeah...KC plays much bigger than Minute Maid or whatever that stadium is called these days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
If the rumored asking price is legit, Musgrove could be the problem

We're prepared to trade players to improve our club right now," Luhnow said before departing from the winter meetings Wednesday night. "We're just not prepared to trade away players that are core to our production in 2017, and those are sometimes the players that are required to get these deals done."

Musgrove might be holding it up right now but he's easy to work around with Reed, Fisher, Hernandez, Stubbs, Paulino and Perez as alternatives (possibly 2-3 of them).

I think Jansen and Turner are the first dominos to fall before Q is moved, as Jones/Robertson/Frazier could be add ins to the deal to get more back.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
If we've learned anything from Cashman over the years, it's that he HATES playing 2nd fiddle to the Red Sox in the AL East. The Holiday & Chapman signings tell me that they definitely do NOT intend on rebuilding. They do have a stock pile of really nice prospects-- thanks to in part of the Chapman and Miller deals. With that said, I'm sure Hahn would LOVE to get his hands on Clint Frazier, Gleybor Torres AND Gary Sanchez. If the Yankees really want Quintana back, they better pony up. Hell, i'm sure Hahn would even throw David Robertson into the package. With the Astros seemingly holding onto their prospects like a creepy crazy cat woman hoarding wild felines, I expect the Yankees coming out of the woodwork for Q and this would be a tremendous scenario for the White Sox' system.

I don't the Yankees can be in play at all. Cashman would get killed in the media and the fanbase for giving up a haul of prospects for a guy they let walk. The only way I can see the Yankees in the conversation as a means to make other teams raise their offers. I could see a Robertson reunion for the Yankees though.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
Musgrove might be holding it up right now but he's easy to work around with Reed, Fisher, Hernandez, Stubbs, Paulino and Perez as alternatives (possibly 2-3 of them).

I think Jansen and Turner are the first dominos to fall before Q is moved, as Jones/Robertson/Frazier could be add ins to the deal to get more back.

Reed would be worth a gamble in a three of four player package. He entered 2016 as a highly touted prospect but a horrible 48 game stretch at the mlb level has tarnished that quite a bit.

Hitting .164 overall and .064 in 17 at bats against lefties is frightening for sure for a guy pegged as a plus hitter.

If Musgrove is not in the deal I could see Martes/Tucker/Reed plus one lower level prospect making sense, although Houston might not want to give up on him so quickly

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Reed would be worth a gamble in a three of four player package. He entered 2016 as a highly touted prospect but a horrible 48 game stretch at the mlb level has tarnished that quite a bit.

Hitting .164 overall and .064 in 17 at bats against lefties is frightening for sure for a guy pegged as a plus hitter.

If Musgrove is not in the deal I could see Martes/Tucker/Reed plus one lower level prospect making sense, although Houston might not want to give up on him so quickly

I'm not a Reed fan.

1. There is always a supply of 1B in the free agent market.

2. His spray charts (small sample size) show he's a dead pull hitter, which means he'll be subject to shifts.

3. His minor league splits don't look good against LHP.

I'd rather have Hernandez since he can play CF and Stubbs (CA), both positions that are hard to fill.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Awesome stuff here as always from Brian and Future Sox as a whole. It was good hearing Chris Getz on the radio with Spiegs and Goff last week as well.

Is there a link to that interview?

I'll throw this out there for entertainment purposes only.

Offer Q + Reliever ( Jennings or Putnam) for Reed, Fisher, Martes and Whitely. If that's close but Houston isn't quite satisfied then offer to take Singletons contract off their hands as part of the trade. Houston gets Q + one of Jennings/Putnam for Reed/Fisher/Martes/Whitley/Singleton.

Is that close? Kinda feels like it still favors the Sox to a point Houston says no. Thoughts?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)

Offer Q + Reliever ( Jennings or Putnam) for Reed, Fisher, Martes and Whitely. If that's close but Houston isn't quite satisfied then offer to take Singletons contract off their hands as part of the trade. Houston gets Q + one of Jennings/Putnam for Reed/Fisher/Martes/Whitley/Singleton.

Is that close? Kinda feels like it still favors the Sox to a point Houston says no. Thoughts?

I just want Tucker a lot more than Martes for no other reason than Tucker is an outfielder and we have none.

I doubt the Singleton deal is that big of a deal. We are only talking about a couple of million a year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
I just want Tucker a lot more than Martes for no other reason than Tucker is an outfielder and we have none.

You are not wrong. Can switch it to where the Sox get Reed/Tucker/Fisher/Whitley/Singleton for Q + one of Jennings/Putnam. With the Astros heavy on hitters, outfielders especially, a trade like that might work for both sides.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
I doubt the Singleton deal is that big of a deal. We are only talking about a couple of million a year.

I'm sure Houston would rather not be paying a 25 year old minor leaguer 2M but I get what you're saying. The 2M is likely not a big deal since Houston should be way under the cap but i figured I'd throw it out there anyway, just to get a little creative.

I'd much rather go for bats. Only one of Martes/Musgrove/Whitely.

I think Reed/Tucker/Fisher/Whitely makes sense. Maybe Hernandez is there somewhere and add a reliever.

I think the Astros would never agree to that.

It's between Fisher is v. good but doubt we can get both and I prefer Tucker.

Reed/Tucker/Martes is really the "makes sense" scenario here. My dream scenario is the Rodgers/Tapia/Pint deal.