Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 06:41 AM)
Who would their 1B be if they traded Bell? Can't see them subtracting from their major league roster unless they have an obvious replacement.

We could include Frazier. I think Meadows / Bell has to be the first 2. Then fill in from there.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
A package without a headliner such as Meadows would be rather underwhelming.

If they can make a trade on par with what they got for Eaton, I think they make the trade.

Giolito's stock fell, but still has huge upside. The other two pitchers are legit prospects.

Conforto's stock has fallen, but he's still talented. If they can get him and a few other good prospects, I think it's a good deal.

The Pirates get their innings eating starter. The Mets get their CF.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Right here, man! Like most of us -- watching, with great interest.

It ain't over 'til it's over, but, yeah, for the longest time I've been thinking the Pirates would be a serious contender for either Sale or Q (most likely Q) since it became obvious the Sox were going to auction off their prime assets. Baseball is just like most businesses, heck, like most relationships. "Need" trump "like." Every single team with any reasonable chance of contending would "like" a Sale or a Q. Not only for their talent, but also for the contract attached to the talent. But a team like the Pirates truly "need" this kind of asset because they can never win a FA bidding war against the big boys. Push come to shove, I always suspected the Pirates would likely step-up and, in the end, would be willing to pay MORE out of the warchest from which they could actually compete -- young talent.

Take a team that needs to pay more like the Pirates, factor in that their available currency (young talent) is what they have in significant quantities and is exactly what the Sox need out of this "auction," and then add that the centerpiece of any likely trade -- Meadows -- is exactly the kind of everday stud OF'er the Sox need ... well, they always seemed to be a super-likely trade partner to me.

Good grief i wish you woukd post more often. I REALLY enjoy your insights my man!

Yep, as I recall you were the first to mention the Pirates and that was weeks ago. Heck, at the time I questioned it because it's just not like the Pirates to give a haul for a player but according to the latest rumor that could change. Who knows, maybe the Pirates go for it since Q has had success against their division rival cubs.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
I agree, but honestly, I think the Pirates aren't moving Meadows under any circumstance.

I'm fine with that. More teams entering the bidding will only drive up the price for Quintana. I'm confident that we will get a huge haul

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
Cy Acosta, where are ya buddy? There is finally a legit rumor involving the Pirates. biggrin.gif

How about Meadows (#9), Newman (#42), Keller (#72) and Diaz? Gives the Sox a return of two top 50's, a top 100 and a catcher that profiles to at least be a backup MLB C with good defensive skills and strong arm.

Meadows + Newman + Keller + Diaz would be a nice haul for Quintana

How dare you plagiarise my post! :P

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
If the Astros really work by the numbers as some have suggested, this article may help explain why they aren't that interested in Quintana: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/do-the-astr...-jose-quintana/

If a team in the running for a world series wants to roll with the idea that McHugh is actually as good as Quintana, more power to them.

Wanna knock quintana because his ERA looks better because of unearned runs? Well, at least let me say that Quintana has often played in front of terrible defense.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
Yah, who wants a dude that got on base 39% of the time last year?

If Newman has even fringe average power potential instead of no power he would easily be a top #15 prospect right now. His hit tool is legit plus.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
We recently acquired a Diaz (Victor), then immediately released another Diaz (Carlos). So the team is already at Diaz quota. There can be only one.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
Newman you mean?

I edited it, yeah

Newman really broke out this season. His patience at the plate is excellent. He would profile really well as a starting second baseman and #2 hitter.

The only real knock is that he has ZERO power. A minor league career ISO of .100 is far below average power wise

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
He has very little power and you can't possibly expect his OBP numbers to stay at that level as he ascends through the minors.

He does draw walks at a very impressive rate and has a tick above average speed, as well as is an average fielder.

That is a great guy to have as a leadoff or #2 hitter.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Meadows, Hayes and an arm that the scouts like. Let's do this right now.

Too light for 4 prime seasons of cheap Quintana

The second piece in the deal has to be an elite prospect to go along with Glasnow or Meadows

I feel as others have said that this allows the pirates to have their cake and eat it too. They keep Cutch and trade for Q in a year in a half if its going south you can move both of them to restock. Having said that Meadows + Bell then fill in the remainder.