Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
is it at all possible that a sub-par White Sox team affects Quintana's value if he goes into the season as the #1?

i mean what if the wheels come off because of a crappy team surrounding him and he has a bad year...?

That's why you trade him now. Arguably, Q's value will never be higher, especially on a bad White Sox team. The time is to trade him for both the Sox and Q's sake.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Then he'd likely have another 24 no decision season or something like it and still have a metric s*** ton of value. :lol:

Yeah, i think the only thing you need to worry about him is injury and with his history that's not much of a worry.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
After reading around, sounds like a lot of Pittsburgh fans think Keller is as good of a prospect as Glasnow, just may not be recognized nationally as such yet.

Meadows, Bell, Keller and Elias Diaz would have me very happy.

I was just reading the Prospect List on the Pirates and thought the same package. I think the White Sox would have to throw a bullpen arm in there as well. Robertson or Jones.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I was just reading the Prospect List on the Pirates and thought the same package. I think the White Sox would have to throw a bullpen arm in there as well. Robertson or Jones.

Meh. Jones is a lot more than a throw in. I want more if Jones is included. Robertson, sure I guess. Jennings maybe.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
FIP is a stat that takes team defense into account when evaluating a pitcher

Quintana's career FIP of 3.47 is excellent

He is certainly a top 20 mlb starting pitcher, no matter how you slice it

If you're going with pitching stats I think SIERA is better. They are all still somewhat subjective but IMHO SIERA is the best at attempting to isolate a pitcher's performance.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
You think they view Conforto and Meadows evenly? Seems to me they're really high on Meadows.

No? But adding an ace in Q and cushioning the blow of losing Cutch/Meadows by acquiring Conforto makes sense to me.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
is it at all possible that a sub-par White Sox team affects Quintana's value if he goes into the season as the #1?

i mean what if the wheels come off because of a crappy team surrounding him and he has a bad year...?

If a bad team was going to negatively affect Quintana, then we would have seen that happen already. Next year's team is still likely to be better than the team in 2013.

FIP is perhaps best suited to evaluating shorter-term performance, say 2 or 3 seasons for a starter. Past that, metrics that focus more on actual runs allowed will be better at evaluating a larger body of work. FIP can also be helpful for figuring out if a change in performance is legit...you might have a guy who has a 3.50 ERA one year and 2.50 ERA the next, but if his FIP is consistent over those two seasons he probably didn't pitch that much differently in either year.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
No? But adding an ace in Q and cushioning the blow of losing Cutch/Meadows by acquiring Conforto makes sense to me.

If the Pirates are willing to trade Meadows, then I would bet he's your Q centerpiece.

If the Pirates aren't willing to trade Meadows, then I have to think that whatever they would get back for McCutchen would be a major piece of any deal to get Quintana, if they chose to move for Q (I do think they'd be less likely to make that move if they traded McCutchen, FWIW - they could put Meadows out there and hold on to see how their pitching staff develops).

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
I could see something more along the lines of:

Mets get - McCutchen, Jones

Pirates get - Q, Conforto

Sox get - Meadows, Bell, Newman, Gsellman, Dunn/Plawecki

Are you referring to Justin Dunn or Kevin Plawecki as the final piece? There is a huge value difference between those two players

This proposal effectively swaps McCutchen for Conforto straight up. Which I'm not sure makes sense to the Pirates.

Mets effectively only give up Conforto/Gsellman/ (Dunn and Plawecki have hugely different values) for McCutchen + Jones which feels light

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Are you referring to Justin Dunn or Kevin Plawecki as the final piece? There is a huge value difference between those two players

This proposal effectively swaps McCutchen for Conforto straight up. Which I'm not sure makes sense to the Pirates.

Mets effectively only give up Conforto/Gsellman/ (Dunn and Plawecki have hugely different values) for McCutchen + Jones which feels light

I dont think Rosario goes anywhere. I could see them including Dominic Smith, but not sure it makes sense to have both Smith and Bell coming to the Sox unless one is to DH.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
The #Rangers are another club that's inquired on #WhiteSox Jose Quintana. But Texas is probably not serious suitor unless price drops.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/811660260574380032

The teams discussed Quintana at trade deadline. Heard #WhiteSox wanted Profar and a "lot more.'' The ask was too steep for #Rangers tastes.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/811660399171014656

I think Dodgers would be a good fit for Profar as they are looking to fill the hole at second base.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Holy s***, there are 140+ users reading this thread.

Sox fans are just waiting for the proverbial hammer to fall on Quintana

We are in the fortunate position of having leverage in trade talks. The market is the perfect storm for us to land a boatload of prospects.

Any offer we get we will just say "Ok, thanks..." and then immediately call other teams and say "Guess what team X is offering me, can you beat that?"

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
I think Dodgers would be a good fit for Profar as they are looking to fill the hole at second base.

Profar has not been impressive to anyone since 2012

His days as being seen as a top prospect are long gone

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Holy s***, there are 140+ users reading this thread.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Sox fans are just waiting for the proverbial hammer to fall on Quintana

We are in the fortunate position of having leverage in trade talks. The market is the perfect storm for us to land a boatload of prospects.

Any offer we get we will just say "Ok, thanks..." and then immediately call other teams and say "Guess what team X is offering me, can you beat that?"

All these people checking and nothing may even happen until July haha I'm hoping if something happens, its before the holidays.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Profar has not been impressive to anyone since 2012

His days as being seen as a top prospect are long gone

Yeah I know I was just spit-balling. There's no room for him to get at bats in Texas and he would probably be cheaper than Dozier coming off a 40+ bomb season. I'd prefer Profar over Micah Johnson.

Edit: s***, maybe if they fill the hole at second without giving up anyone too important, maybe they can jump back into the pitching market.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
If you're going with pitching stats I think SIERA is better. They are all still somewhat subjective but IMHO SIERA is the best at attempting to isolate a pitcher's performance.

If you're focusing on SIERA, Carlos Rodon posted the 25th best SIERA in the majors leagues in 2016...very interesting