Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
I do. But I like what the top player in each deal, plus the depth of the other teams have to offer looks like too. I like Bregman as the top player to get, which is why Houston first.

NYY is loaded with position player prospects. I think in a year we look back on Torres the way that Bregman and Benetendi are now. They could load up a deal with tons of position players.

The Dodgers are loaded with hitters. I'd love to get a lot of their top position players, plus they have some great catching depth too, which is a big thing for me.

Rockies have some great position prospects at the top, plus some good ones down their list, plus (again) catching that could go into a deal.

So serious question...you feeling any better?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
Wow I'm shocked you view Meadows that poorly. For me it's Bregman/Meadows/Torres/Bellinger/Rodgers in that order.

Tough call, I'd rank them:

Bregman

Meadows

Torres

Bellinger or Rodgers is tough, if you view Bellinger as a 1B, then Rodgers...but if he can stick in the OF it's much closer

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
So serious question...you feeling any better?

We'll see what happens with this deal. I think they screwed themselves by forcing the issue with what they need back from a Q trade. No idea if that is a part of what is taking time to develop for these other deals or not.

I do still think that they have spent too much time worrying about player rankings instead of organizational fit.

Agreeing with the comment that it depends on the package, I'll just pop in to rank my headliners:

Rodgers

Tucker

Torres

Frazier

Meadows

Glasnow

Bregman isn't happening, not super high on Meadows, and don't want this package built around a pitcher.

I really want a Rodgers/Tapia/Pint deal (no Dahl, who has meh numbers at normal altitudes). If that fails, get Tucker/Martes/whatever from Houston and I'll be ecstatic (no Reed, please). I'll be indifferent about Yankees prospects (but spare me Judge or Mateo as anything but a throw-in). If we trade with the Pirates and lead with Meadows but don't get at least Newman and Keller to finish it off, I'll cry.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Why so down on Rodgers?

Down is relative, those players are all incredible. Rodgers is the lowest because to me he is riskiest. Torres at same level makes me rank him higher because of reports on his superior pitch recognition and plate discipline as well as defensive remarks.

I'd be so so so happy to get any of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
We'll see what happens with this deal. I think they screwed themselves by forcing the issue with what they need back from a Q trade. No idea if that is a part of what is taking time to develop for these other deals or not.

I do still think that they have spent too much time worrying about player rankings instead of organizational fit.

Far too soon to say, plus we are not privy to the actual negotiations

What we can judge the Sox on is results, and so far we have dramatically improved our farm system with two trades

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)

I see your point but still disagree. They should treat it like a draft for the future, take the best players offered. They can figure the rest out later.

edit: I hope they based it on their own evaluation NOT just the "expert" rankings. On that I agree.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I see your point but still disagree. They should treat it like a draft for the future, take the best players offered. They can figure the rest out later.

edit: I hope they based it on their own evaluation NOT just the "expert" rankings. On that I agree.

Eh. We spent years believing that position player were easier to get than pitchers. That has ended up being a gigantic bust.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
Down is relative, those players are all incredible. Rodgers is the lowest because to me he is riskiest. Torres at same level makes me rank him higher because of reports on his superior pitch recognition and plate discipline as well as defensive remarks.

I'd be so so so happy to get any of them.

Any of those guys are potential franchise players, and worthy centerpieces to a Quintana deal

Bregman is going to rake for the Astros. He can develop into a big time star.

Torres has a very high ceiling, and this season will be an interesting test to see how he adjusts to facing AA pitching.

Bellinger can hit, and hit for power. His value is lower if he can't stick in the outfield though

Rodgers is far from the majors, but his ISO was impressive this season and he plays a premium position

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Eh. We spent years believing that position player were easier to get than pitchers. That has ended up being a gigantic bust.

I don't think they are necessarily easier to get. I just think limiting their options on what talent to take back isn't a wise strategy when the Sox really don't have a a surplus of talent anywhere on the field. Granted they had better pitching than hitting but I wouldn't call it dominant.

I like IF and CF prospects the most. I'd want a top fielder and top pitching prospect from each. So here is how I would rank them.

1. Pirates - Meadows, Newman, Keller, Diaz

2. Rockies - Rodgers, Hoffman, Tapia, Murphy

3. Dodgers - Bellinger, Verdugo, Barnes, Alvarez/DeLeon

4. Yankees - Torres, Rutherford, Sheffield, Andujar

5. Astros - Martes, Tucker, Perez, Stubbs

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
Rank your trade partners:

Yankees

Pirates

Rockies

Rangers

Astros

Pirates / Rockies

Yankees

Astros

Rangers

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
Vicente: What kind of prospects Pirates have to offer to get Quintana?

Dave Cameron: Would imagine Chicago would want some kind of package built around two of Meadows, Bell, or Glasnow, with some other stuff involved.

I'm drooling if this were the case. Of the 3 there, which 2 would you choose? What other pieces would be included with those other 2?

For me, I'd easily go Meadows and Bell with Hayes and Escobar as the final pieces.

Although, I could see the Pirates be pushing Glasnow and Bell/Meadows plus others because Q would essentially replace him in the rotation.

Luis Escobar is a nice looking lotto ticket if you're risk adverse to Taylor Hearn

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm so on board with this.

Mets get - McCutchen, Robertson

Pirates get - Q, Dominic Smith, Nate Jones

Sox get - Conforto, Meadows, Bell, Newman, Dunn

That would be fair for everyone IMO.

That deal seems terrible for the sox. Q should bring a sale like haul himself. Robertson a top 50-80 prospect and a lotto ticket possibly more if they eat some of his contract. Lastly Nate Jones while he won't get quite what the Phillies got for Giles will bring back a mint himself and is in a similar spot to Q where his contract is so desirable that teams pressed up against the threshold would love to acquire him than pay the tax and teams like Pittsburgh that are lower payroll would love to have him in the back end of their pen.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
I like IF and CF prospects the most. I'd want a top fielder and top pitching prospect from each. So here is how I would rank them.

All of those packages have their own merits and would be great hauls for Quintana

Yep. Love that Pirates package.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
Pirates / Rockies

Yankees

Astros

Rangers

Luis Escobar is a nice looking lotto ticket if you're risk adverse to Taylor Hearn

That deal seems terrible for the sox. Q should bring a sale like haul himself. Robertson a top 50-80 prospect and a lotto ticket possibly more if they eat some of his contract. Lastly Nate Jones while he won't get quite what the Phillies got for Giles will bring back a mint himself and is in a similar spot to Q where his contract is so desirable that teams pressed up against the threshold would love to acquire him than pay the tax and teams like Pittsburgh that are lower payroll would love to have him in the back end of their pen.

I agree, no way I deal Robertson and Jones as throw ins for a Quintana deal

It will be interesting as a Sox fan to keep watch from a distance on all these players that we may or may not acquire.

For instance, I already will be measuring Bientiendi (spelled wrong, don't care) versus Moncada for the next 5 years. Likewise we will do the same with Robles and Bregman and Tucker and Meadows, Torres, etc.

Hopefully all of our guys pan out and we can't say --- "what if" like Astros? can when they passed on Kris Bryant.

But for now to keep on topic:

Bregman (pipe dream)

Meadows

Torres

Dahl

Tucker (not high on him)

But really I have no god damn clue. I'm not a scout and don't have enough time in my day to research more than a few stat lines and blurbs. My main reason not liking Tucker is his brother didn't pan out at all... so that should tell you my thinking doesn't add much.

Meadows is near my top because I like his low strikeout rates and higher walk ratio. To be honest, people like Moncada with high strikeouts scare me. I've grown very tired of watching Dunn and Lawrie and Frazier and Jose Valentine and on and on and on of these guys who strike out.

The Astros package is the weakest, but I'd say it's the only one they could possibly get...maybe the Dodgers is achievable (if they wanted Q, but I haven't seen anything that they do).

I don't see teams trading their #1 prospect, which is included in Pirates, Rockies and Yankees proposals.

Edited by GreenSox

Not me, the last few years of our position players have me dreaming of the days where I thought Jose Valentin was a problem. I miss the swagger he brought to the white sox. He supplied more in person highlights for me than possibly any other sox player (I maybe saw 4 walk offs from him?)

But I digress.

Jose Valentin for HOF

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Not me, the last few years of our position players have me dreaming of the days where I thought Jose Valentin was a problem. I miss the swagger he brought to the white sox. He supplied more in person highlights for me than possibly any other sox player (I maybe saw 4 walk offs from him?)

But I digress.

Jose Valentin for HOF

Insane how loaded our core was at one point with position players. Thomas, Magglio, Konerko, Carlos Lee, Ray Durham, Valentine...how was that team not better???