Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. While generally, 4 years of control is preferable to 3, these trades don't exactly work off a scale like the NFL draft picks do or something.

While I think it is optimal to acquire him now if you are another team, I don't think it is that big of a deal if you have to move him in 6 months or even a year from now.

One thing I will add though, and I wrote this earlier in the thread, if one of these teams that is kicking the tires on Q now comes back in desperate straights in July, I am making them pay a premium for forcing me to go into the season with Q. Make them pay some consideration for their wait and see approach.

+1

Its less about Quintana than it is about the SP market next year. The big money teams, and even a few mid-market teams, that are in the hunt for pitching next year will have tons of options to chose from in FA. Read about it here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-strong-...ass-of-2017-18/

There just wont be the demand for Q next year. Even if he keeps it up, even if he improves, the Sox wont be able to get back what they can now because MLB teams are just more willing to spend money than prospects on players.

Quintana means more to the Pirates than most other contenders- his contract in this day and age is a franchise-saving move for them. They won't be a player for pitching next offseason. So it's either Quintana/Archer or they have to roll with their young guys. But that doesn't likely get them over the Dodgers/cubs/Nationals hurdle. Tough spot for them. Meadows/Bell/Newman sounds so juicy to me.

And taking on the contract of Verlander or paying a "premium/2015" value on Sonny Gray is even LESS risk-averse for middle and low budget franchises.

The Rays apparently aren't getting the offers they'd like for Archer, although they have other options for trading like Smyly. Of course, if they starting trading away the core of their rotation, then what's the point of keeping Longoria and any of their core players?

You can say the same thing for the Rockies (compared to the Pirates)...who are trying to win now but in the last year of Carlos Gonzalez's contract and probably need to dump one outfielder in order to put Desmond where he can have a much more positive WAR number than at 1B (yet another new position for him).

Finally, Seattle is a bigger budget team that has even MORE of a need to compete now since it's all the way back to 2001 since they were in the playoffs, and Cruz/Cano are getting older by the year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
Then go back to where ever you have been for the last decade...

Or we could all make obscure references to movies made in the mid 1990s while singing Kumbaya.

:huh: :wub:

Edit: How complete is a post without including a call to song?

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 09:58 PM)
Quintana means more to the Pirates than most other contenders- his contract in this day and age is a franchise-saving move for them. They won't be a player for pitching next offseason. So it's either Quintana/Archer or they have to roll with their young guys. But that doesn't likely get them over the Dodgers/cubs/Nationals hurdle. Tough spot for them. Meadows/Bell/Newman sounds so juicy to me.

This makes sense. The stuff about Glasnow's stuff being mediocre or whatever was pretty ridiculous, but this is something that makes sense.

I'm not big on Newman, but don't hate him. Would love Diaz.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
Would love Diaz.

What is it about him that you love? I know little other than the little write up I've read on MLB pipeline.

Sincerely,

- The guy with medusa for an exwife

:lol: :cheers

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
I'm not big on Newman, but don't hate him. Would love Diaz.

You want the 26 year old non prospect who has zero power over the guy who has a plus hit tool and has increased his walk rate moving up the minors? Admittedly I don't know much about Diaz compared to the other guys in the Pirates system as a prospect guy (might be a very good defensive catcher, pitch framer, great arm, etc), but I find the love for him baffling on this site.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
You want the 26 year old non prospect who has zero power over the guy who has a plus hit tool and has increased his walk rate moving up the minors? Admittedly I don't know much about Diaz compared to the other guys in the Pirates system as a prospect guy (might be a very good defensive catcher, pitch framer, great arm, etc), but I find the love for him baffling on this site.

Not saying would love one over the other, just giving takes on two guys totally independent of each other.

I also don't understand the Meadows hold up on the Pirates' end. They can flip Q at any point until his last deadline for a top prospect + more. Miller, Chapman, Samardiziijizaaza have proven that. The fact that we can only get quantity instead of quality is garbage. Q has 4 years left. 4. Gimme 4 top prospects.

Unless the Pirates think Cutch is done being a superstar, then I get it. But then they are screwed anyway running Meadows & Glasnow out there instead of Cutch n Q.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
Sincerely,

- The guy who does whatever the f*** he wants, whenever the f*** he wants, wherever the f*** he wants... breaking cheerleader hearts, vacuuming the house at 2am, butt ass naked on a Wednesday afternoon while ball sweat staining the rug.

#f***MarriedLife

Ok, I'll stop.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)
Meadows & Glasnow... instead of... Cutch n Q.

Well that certainly puts it into perspective. They wanna win in the next two years - there's a clear path to having a better shot.

If they Pirates want Q, they have to get pony up and be willing to part with a guy like Meadows in addition to Glasnow. The same goes for the Astros and Yankees and whoever else is interested. I hope the Sox remain active on the Quintana front but I would start looking to deal guys on 1/2 year deals like Frazier, Melky and Robertson as we head into the new year.

If we're talking catchers as add-ons in a Quintana deal, I'd love Garrett Stubbs of the Astros.

Hit .325/.401/.517 at AA last year, following up a 291/.385/.442 showing at A+, and draws rave reviews for his defence. And he's not ranked highly enough that he figures to be a deal-breaker (#30 Astros prospect mlb.com, #23 astrosfuture.com, #18 crawfishboxes.com).

Fangraphs' KATOH model of projecting WAR for prospects based on their minor league stats has him as the #53 prospect in baseball, and that wouldn't include framing.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
The #Yankees have expanded their Jose Quintana talks with #Whitesox that would include closer David Robertson, if Sox eat part of contract

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/813749518969737216

This is exactly what I did not understand about the three-way deal between the Sox, Pirates, and Yankees. If the Yankees were going to give up prospects, why not just deal for Q themselves since pitching is a bigger need for them? They have Gardner, Ellsbury and Judge (or any other young player they want to play) in the outfield and really don't need McCutchen.

Edit: also, if Bautista is really willing to sign a one-year deal, Yankees could have interest and move him around between RF, 1B and DH. If the team isn't good but Bautista does good, they can deal him in July (see: the older 2016 rental traded at the deadline Carlos Beltran). Saunders could also be a fit with that short RF. All I'm getting at is they have options.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Eat some of(hell eat the whole damn thing) and just bring back a serious haul.

Absolutely. No time to be cheap. Hopefully this sparks Pirates to include Meadows as the chief piece. But I love the Yankees position player prospects.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
The #Yankees have expanded their Jose Quintana talks with #Whitesox that would include closer David Robertson, if Sox eat part of contract

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/813749518969737216

Because of the holiday I thought that talks would resume this week and Hahn would get a deal done by the new year. We will see if that is the case, but I sincerely hope the Sox eat enough of Robertson's contract to bring back prospects with Quintana. Though you'd have to think Hahn would say to Cashman that he is getting Quintana at a decent rate so he will have to give prospects without considering Robertson's contract as too much of a problem in a deal. Any thoughts on why the Yankees want Robertson when they have Chapman? Is it a replacement for Miller?