Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
If they get a Torres/Rutherford package for Q? Yea it pushes things out a bit. But if they go the Pirates route and get more close to the majors guys 2018 could be competitive.

Right now they really need a well rounded OFer because that's one the thing the system is very light on until you get down to like Winston-Salem. Of course the W-S OF will probably be Call-Basabe-Fisher, all three pretty legit prospects, but another guy closer to the majors could accelerate the return to competitive baseball.

No one wants to trade those guys.

We have chased guys who could help us in 2017 like Benitendi and Bregman, but their teams don't want to trade them. The further we dig into a rebuild, the most luck we need in terms of prospects turning out. The further away the guys we get are, the more chance at failure there is.

Blake Rutherford just played in rookie ball this year. It is super optimistic to think of anything sooner than a September 2019 debut. Gleybar Torres finished this season at High A ball. Again, thinking optimistically this year that puts him on a AA this year, and AAA next year track. Mid season 2018 debut means everything went right for him.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
I'll just add that our 2016 draft was outstanding. Collins, Burdi, Hansen, Call and another guy I can't think of right now just add to the talent Hahn is obtaining. The future- the near future- is bright.

Jameson Fisher led the NCAA in OBP. Very solid draft pick.

Luis Curbelo has talent. Ian Hamilton is a decent relief prospect. Jake Elliott throws hard and is interesting as a prospect.

Aaron Schnurbusch raked in rookie ball

Matt Foster tossed a very impressive 29 1/3 innings, allowing only 12 hits along with 41 K's

Michael Horejsei is older at age 24, but did very well in rookie ball and then A ball

The 2016 draft was outstanding for the White Sox so far

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Again, assuming the Sox find some actual position players to start slotting in at some point.

Realistically, 2017 is a lost year. None of the players we are talking about will be on the opening day roster. They will all be in the minors. The front end of this group looks like it should start coming up mid season or later. Optimistically guys like Gio, Lopez and Moncada get a half a year on the major league roster. This season will be loaded with 4A and has been players playing everywhere.

2018 should be the first full season for a the front end of these guys. The rest of the guys are years away. The end of 2018 is super optimistic for guys like Basabe, Kopech, Dunning, and Collins. They are probably looking at 2019 to debut, and maybe start contributing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 2018 as the worst year of the rebuild, and not 2017.

I think you're probably right.

You know what the difference is?

Now we have hope.

We get that you don't, but could you quit trying to crush ours?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
It does sound crazy now, but just wait. Crazier things have happened, and things change fast in the game today. If the Sox pull off one more "home run" style trade with Quintana and bring in MLB-ready prospects, I think you're underselling the 2018 team. I'm not predicting 90 wins or anything, but I think they could make a run at .500 pretty quick. In the modern playoff era, that is not far off from actually contending. The difference of course will be that it's a .500 team on the rise, not a .500 team of veterans maxing out and declining.

If there is one thing that we have been taught in this off season is that the guys you are dreaming about aren't available. Realistically, who are you talking about?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
If there is one thing that we have been taught in this off season is that the guys you are dreaming about aren't available. Realistically, who are you talking about?

Moncada was available, and I'd rather have him than Bregman anyway.

Moncada? Ya know...the #1 prospect in the game...

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
Moncada was available, and I'd rather have him than Bregman anyway.

After what we saw from his ML Debut, I don't think you could call him major league ready. While exciting, he still has some work to do before you can call him that.

Talk of 2018 is crazy

Talk of 2019 is best case rebuild scenario, everything that could have gone right for the Sox does

2020 - 2023 if we are not competitive, the rebuild has been a failure

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Talk of 2018 is crazy

Talk of 2019 is best case rebuild scenario, everything that could have gone right for the Sox does

Again, I find this pretty realistic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
After what we saw from his ML Debut, I don't think you could call him major league ready. While exciting, he still has some work to do before you can call him that.

Bregman started 0-32. Moncada only had 20 PAs. Sample sizes are your friend.

That said, I don't think he is ML ready yet, but his sip of coffee should have no bearing on anything.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Talk of 2018 is crazy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Again, I find this pretty realistic.

I agree with this timeline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
You can have whatever you want. I just don't see it as very realistic.

Yeesh you're still harping on this stuff? What the hell did you want them to do? Ride out another 3 years of half-assed FA signings and garbage pile pickups in the hope to hit on 10 lotto tickets a year then watch Sale/Eaton/Abreu/Q all walk with 0 playoff games played?

Or maybe sell at all time high peaks, go from near worst to near best farm system in baseball with a dozen exciting players to look forward to.

A new manager wasn't getting this team 20 more wins. It was a flawed roster with 0 depth and a cheap owner. Taking 4 players and completely rebuilding a farm system/franchise is the absolute best case scenario.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Bregman started 0-32. Moncada only had 20 PAs. Sample sizes are your friend.

That said, I don't think he is ML ready yet, but his sip of coffee should have no bearing on anything.

When you are putting together a time line of when a team can compete, it does. I am not writing him off, I am saying the idea of when he will be a contributor shouldn't be pushed too far forward.

Moncada got 200 ABs at AA, 0 at AAA and bombed at MLB. Bregman, in addition to being older, and having played in the US all of his life, started slow, but recovered to put up much better MLB numbers. Personally I believe you have to look at Bregman as being at least a year ahead of Moncada in terms of being able to really help an MLB team out. If you are going to use specific players as a reason for competing, I think you will be able to pencil in Bregman long ahead of Moncada, even if Yoan eventually passes up Bregman down the line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Again, assuming the Sox find some actual position players to start slotting in at some point.

Realistically, 2017 is a lost year. None of the players we are talking about will be on the opening day roster. They will all be in the minors. The front end of this group looks like it should start coming up mid season or later. Optimistically guys like Gio, Lopez and Moncada get a half a year on the major league roster. This season will be loaded with 4A and has been players playing everywhere.

2018 should be the first full season for a the front end of these guys. The rest of the guys are years away. The end of 2018 is super optimistic for guys like Basabe, Kopech, Dunning, and Collins. They are probably looking at 2019 to debut, and maybe start contributing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 2018 as the worst year of the rebuild, and not 2017.

PERFECT. 2017 is a lost year and i hope we win 60 games and get the ist pick. I will personally be rooting against the SOX all year and just hoping some of the future young guys and the players we can trade at the break if they are still on team( Abrue, jones, Frazier etc) do well. But for the Sanchez, Saladino's or Garcia's, Coats Etc i hope they make the team lose if that makes sense. Personally if the top prospects in the Minor leagues do well and the Sox lose i will be ecstatic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
When you are putting together a time line of when a team can compete, it does. I am not writing him off, I am saying the idea of when he will be a contributor shouldn't be pushed too far forward.

Moncada got 200 ABs at AA, 0 at AAA and bombed at MLB. Bregman, in addition to being older, and having played in the US all of his life, started slow, but recovered to put up much better MLB numbers. Personally I believe you have to look at Bregman as being at least a year ahead of Moncada in terms of being able to really help an MLB team out. If you are going to use specific players as a reason for competing, I think you will be able to pencil in Bregman long ahead of Moncada, even if Yoan eventually passes up Bregman down the line.

Why does that matter if we're not looking to compete the next two years anyway?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
And you didn't even mention Kopech who I'm the highest on after Lopez in our system. Hit on some position players and look out. Obviously not all of those guys will pan out, but if the sox can get even 40% of them to... wow.

Yeah, I was just highlighting the guys who will impact the 2017 White Sox. I think Kopech is probably a June 2018 guy best case scenario, but he's obviousy a huge part of our future rotation. But to your point, there will plenty of guys in the minors to follow too. And another perk to the rebuild is we no longer have to rush guys to fill major league needs.