Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Decline in prospect terms means they aren't making the progress they once were. May be overcome, or it may not be, but it needs to be discounted from player value.

Yeah, his 1.87 ERA with 133 strikeouts and 65 hits allowed in 110 2/3 innings in AAA is a huge drop off.

What do you have against facts?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Decline in prospect terms means they aren't making the progress they once were. May be overcome, or it may not be, but it needs to be discounted from player value.

He had a 1.93 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 11.1 K/9 last season. How much better do you need him to be?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
My only comment re Glasgow is while I'm all about grabbing top pitchers from Nats they couldn't get a handle on I'm less bullish we can turn around a prospect they couldn't develop themselves. They are probably better than us at this.

You think the Nationals are better at developing pitchers than the White Sox?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
Yeah, his 1.87 ERA with 133 strikeouts and 65 hits allowed in 110 2/3 innings in AAA is a huge drop off.

What do you have against facts?

At one point a poster should be completely OK writing "heh, you are right how silly of me"

It is a wonder nobody does it.

I guess everyone needs to be correct 100% of the time.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
At one point a poster should be completely OK writing "heh, you are right how silly of me"

lol nope. It's realizing you're wrong but continue arguing anyway just to not look stupid lol

I think a lot of speculation on who we get for Q (if they trade him), depends on how far out the Sox feel our true contention window is. Taking a look at who we got for Sale and Eaton, we got prospects who are MLB ready--not ready to dominate, but at least ready to contribute at some point in 2017. Judging on that return--Moncada, Giolito, Lopez...the Sox might be looking at a shorter rebuild than one featuring a trade with returns of Single A ball studs of the Torres/Rodgers variety. I'm looking for them to end up going with the prospect package for Q that has the top player with at least AAA experience--and am not ruling out someone who has some MLB games under their belt. If they don't get that, I think they are satisfied with keeping him, because in their minds the rebuild will not take long and they will still have a couple years left of Q's services when the team starts to make a run again.

Knowing our FO, they are looking to keep the pain part of the rebuild at a bare minimum by making it quick. Get MLB-ready prospects who could contribute in 2017--a low pressure rebuilding year, add a high draft pick, and start to be good in 2018--the year when they will get back to their ways in an off season where there is a crap ton of difference makers in one of the most saturated free agent markets in recent memory. I'm not sure they could sustain a long, drawn out multi-year plan of being bad--especially after being in one for years!! They just don't have the revenue they once had when people were coming to their games. They are also looking for leverage for the new TV deal. They need viewers--and they know people aren't going to watch Carlos Sanchez for too long without losing interest.

They might be saying this is a long process to get a longer leash of patience from the fans...but look at the fruit the trees are bearing--MLB-ready guys who have the potential to be really good really soon.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
You think the Nationals are better at developing pitchers than the White Sox?

I believe he meant the Pirates, who are very good at developing pitchers.

Although, I will say the pirates seem to be better at scouting and developing major league pitching talent, and Glasnow only threw 23 major league innings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
He has been too good for GreenSox. He likes mediocre guys. Glasnow is 22 has a 2.06 ERA in 500 minor league innings and struck out over 1 an inning during his brief call up. I want the Sox to get position players, but in decline, isn't ready for a rotation spot and should be at 22 is just so far against what he has posted about far lesser prospects. It has to be a joke. Now he isn't happy with prospects.

Ooooh, Dick, got me again, right?

Uh, that would be a no. I just don't like this prospect who is a member of the Pirates. Oh horrors! You will also note he dropped in BA's rankings as well.

And to think only a year ago you (and others) were lecturing me from your high horse about the seminal, generational talents of Frazier and Samardzija.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)

I really don't know much about Glasnow, but he was highly regarded, I don't see how his stock could have dropped, unless he has injury concerns. If he had shoulder issues, that is a big red flag. But to conclude a 22 year old is his 24 inning performance his first call up is absurd. He is 6'8", so mechanics can get really out of whack.

I'd prefer some position players. The Sox need them, and they do have a lower bust rate, but this guy is a top of the line prospect. That is without doubt.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)

Although, I will say the pirates seem to be better at scouting and developing major league pitching talent, and Glasnow only threw 23 major league innings.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Searage is the man for sure.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)

Yeah someone pointed out that he got hurt. I would still take him in a deal but I hope we get Meadows back if we have to pick between the 2.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)

Uh, that would be a no. I just don't like this prospect who is a member of the Pirates. Oh horrors! You will also note he dropped in BA's rankings as well.

And to think only a year ago you (and others) were lecturing me from your high horse about the seminal, generational talents of Frazier and Samardzija.

LMAO! DA?! I have argued with him a billion times against a billion things but I can assure you that he never talked about the seminal, generational talents of those two. Maybe he said they were better than the options we had, maybe you got it confused when you were talking about the seminal, generational talent of Trayce Thompson and Tyler Saladino

I'm on pirates.com message board and they're saying they need to make a trade for Q at all costs. One guy said trading Glasnow is ok because Q is in the rotation for almost as long as he would be but Meadows would be a tough loss. Same guy said if Meadows is in the deal, then they would be able to deal McCutchen over the next year or so with Bell could go back to LF with Marte in CF.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
If they're holding onto Meadows...then the basic question I'd ask is why they need to go out and get a #2 starting pitcher right now and why that's a priority rather than giving Bell, Meadows, and Glasnow time to develop? Yes, Quintana will still help them in 2018 and 2019, but why pay the premium price to get him in 2017 if you're transitioning Meadows into the OF?

When you're a small market team like the Pirates, you constantly have to balance short-term & long-term goals. Acquiring Quintana, trading McCutchen for prospects, and starting Meadows in CF gives them a chance to compete next year without completely mortgaging their future. It also sets them up very nicely for the 2018 & 2019 seasons. I'm not sure I get your "pay the premium to get him in 2017" comment. TOR starters are prescious commodities and cost-controlled ones are even rarer. If the Pirates think they'll eventually need one to be legit contenders, why not strike now when the perfect option is available, especially when the price may not be radically different in a year.

I know if I was the Pirates GM I wouldn't want to waste another year. Cole is only under contract for three more years. Marte is already 28 years old and could start regressing in a few years. Those are their best two players if you assume Cutch is no longer an elite player. Another important player in Kang will also be a free agent after the 2019 season. At some point, the Pirates either need to sort of "go for it" or consider selling off some parts and push back their competitive window. Adding a a cheaper TOR starter Quintana makes perfect sense if they want to give a legit shot with the core they have in place.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)

You might want to re-read the Samardzija trade thread.

Of course Trayce Thompson is a prospect you build a team around. And when he was Glasnow's age, an age where you say he should be ready for a rotation spot, he was hitting .229 in AA striking out at an alarming rate.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
You might want to re-read the Samardzija trade thread.

Of course Trayce Thompson is a prospect you build a team around.

:lol: I think people don't realize how many prospects Kenny traded that weren't that good. "prospects"

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
Apparently Harold Reynolds just said the Angels were gonna trade for Quintana. I place absolutely no credence in this. Reynolds IMHO is an idiot, but I thought I'd share.

I had a dream in a nap yesterday they traded for Quintana. No joke