Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (GermanSoxFan @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
If we're just throwing trade ideas at the wall:

Quintana and Melky with Sox picking up half of Melky's contract for Schwarber, Jimenez and Candelario.

But I don't think that's realistic at all. Let's see where the Pirates rumors go and hopefully some names get leaked by either FO.

Idk if they really need Melky. If they moved Schwarber, I think Zobrist would just go to left with Baez in at second.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Idk if they really need Melky. If they moved Schwarber, I think Zobrist would just go to left with Baez in at second.

Yeah, I forgot about Baez. But Melky would give them some insurance if Heyward still hasn't remembered how to hit. You're right though.

QUOTE (GermanSoxFan @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah, I forgot about Baez. But Melky would give them some insurance if Heyward still hasn't remembered how to hit. You're right though.

Does bring up the idea of possibly adding Melky (plus a lot of cash) to a Q deal to the Pirates if it helps them move Meadows and if they also move McCutchen for prospects in a possible 3-team scenario to help soften the blow to the farm system for dealing for Q.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
I feel the same way.

I'd still rank them:

1. Pirates (Meadows/Glasnow)

2. Rockies (Dahl/Rodgers)

3. Yankees (Torres/Frazier)

... then the rest with a significant drop off.

The Rockies' interest is purely theoretical, so unless the Dodgers get involved, I am hoping it's Meadows or Frazier patrolling the OF for the White Sox next year.

The Rockies front office is run by a Random Number Generator, so it doesn't do any good to speculate based on need. On the other hand, you can never count them out.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
The Rockies front office is run by a Random Number Generator, so it doesn't do any good to speculate based on need. On the other hand, you can never count them out.

I would absolutely be in on Quintana if I were the Rockies

They really could use players like Quintana, Robertson and Jones to help solidify their rotation and bullpen

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
I'm gonna guess not that desperate.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
If they were coming off a World Series loss: desperate. I have to agree with bmags.

Agree with you both. Just saying it would take alot for me to send Q across town but I admit that cub fans aren't too eager to help the Sox either.

Schwarber + Jimenez for Q might be a more plausible trade for both teams.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)

Just because they spent $90 million and haven't clearly upgraded their team? Maybe they have some sort of plan, but if they do, it isn't very clear.

It does seem to be run by idiots, but then again Sandy Alderson is supposed to be quite bright, yet he seems to be allergic to CFers.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
I would absolutely be in on Quintana if I were the Rockies

They really could use players like Quintana, Robertson and Jones to help solidify their rotation and bullpen

Right, but again, people don't make decisions based on need in Colorado. It's all random. They worship chaos and entropy.

One of my friends and I were imagining what board meetings are actually like there. His hypothesis is that they have a tank of manatees in the center of the conference room, and that they throw colored balls in and make decisions based on which balls the manatees push toward the front of the tank.

"Ohh that's blue, that means Ian Desmond! Ohh it looks like.. wait... oh FIRST BASE! Wow, that was unexpected. Welp, let's see what we're going to offer... Ohh Ten, NO, SEVENTY MILLION! Haha fun! Call his agent"

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Right, but again, people don't make decisions based on need in Colorado. It's all random. They worship chaos and entropy.

One of my friends and I were imagining what board meetings are actually like there. His hypothesis is that they have a tank of manatees in the center of the conference room, and that they throw colored balls in and make decisions based on which balls the manatees push toward the front of the tank.

"Ohh that's blue, that means Ian Desmond! Ohh it looks like.. wait... oh FIRST BASE! Wow, that was unexpected. Welp, let's see what we're going to offer... Ohh Ten, NO, SEVENTY MILLION! Haha fun! Call his agent"

South Park reference for the win haha

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
I proposed a Happ, Jimenez and Candelario deal for Quintana as a possibility

I doubt either side accepts that, but as a purely baseball trade it would be a good deal for each side

I would send Q to the Cubs for that package. You basically have your entire roster settled by 2019 that way.

C Collins

1B Abreu/Collins

2B Moncada

SS Anderson

3B Candelario

LF Happ

CF ?

RF Jiminez

DH Collins/Abreu

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Did he say that they have actually had contact or just his own speculation because they have the pieces it would take?

Sorry for the late response - he wasn't exactly clear, but from what I recall he basically called them a team to watch. Definitely more speculative than anything if I had to guess. But he also said at least 6ish teams had been in contact with the Sox.

Definitely said the Cardinals had actually been in contact, however. Once again not a great fit, but interesting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
I don't know if it says it's imminent, but perhaps a stamp of approval that it seems to be the case. I don't get the crap Merkin gets, he's a first division beat writer. Hayes is very good too. Doesn't have the 10-15 years of relationships Merkin does but covers the necessary stuff and is a real baseball fanatic.

Yeah I don't think it means it's imminent but I think it means that the rumor or report has legs.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
I don't know if it says it's imminent, but perhaps a stamp of approval that it seems to be the case. I don't get the crap Merkin gets, he's a first division beat writer. Hayes is very good too. Doesn't have the 10-15 years of relationships Merkin does but covers the necessary stuff and is a real baseball fanatic.

I'd say Merkin's tweet gave it a final confirmation that things are progressing & serious. I agree on the imminent part. Doesn't mean it close. Would just say more serious now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)

I agree, Rabbit. Love both and are my 2 favorite beat writers. Hayes answers a lot with the fans too on Facebook and twitter.

Like you said, with them retweeting the Quintana rumors, I think this rumor actually has legs because they didn't do that with the Yankees or Astros I believe.