Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
That isn't the conversation that was being had.

How is it not? We'll be looking to compete by 2019 at the earliest, and Moncada should be ready to help by then. He fits in well with the timeline. And 2019 won't be his first full year, so it will allow him some growing pains before we're ready to compete.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
If there is one thing that we have been taught in this off season is that the guys you are dreaming about aren't available. Realistically, who are you talking about?

Well, Moncada, obviously for starters. He hasn't supposed to be available, and now he's on the White Sox. For Quintana, if the Sox land one of Meadows, Bregman, Frazier or Dahl, all of whom currently are unavailable, Hahn will have pulled the trick twice. I will reserve judgement on the 2018 team until I see what Quintana turns into.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
I agree with this timeline.

The White Sox are being very specific for the sort of talent that they want in return for their blue chip trade pieces.

The trend is that the vast majority of the players they have gotten in return are no more than 2 years away from possibly being big league ready. Which leads me to believe they are not looking for players like Rutherford, who is a minimum of three seasons away from realistically making the big leagues.

Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, even Dunning late season should be on the 2017 roster at some point. Fulmer might as well, but I'd rather see him get some time in AAA. Burdi could very well be in the pen. Diaz was a quality fourth piece with upper 90's heat.

Kopech might be a quick riser, but needs a full season in the minors this year and at least a half season next year (probably full).

Collins should spend minimum one full season in the minors, likely two to work on defense. I fully expect him to mash in the minors this season. I project Collins to dramatically rise up the top 100 prospect charts.

Basabe is interesting, in the his hit tool will completely decide his fate. If it ever develops he could be a really good prospect, or if it doesn't he will never sniff the major leagues. All of the other tools are there though.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Bregman is a major case of Sox fans wanting what they cannot have.

The Red Sox would have been willing to give up more also. Pretty obvious now that Dombrowski had locked on to Sale months ago and wasn't going to leave the meetings without him.

The Bregman love is ridiculous. Sox fans are not being delusional to think Q is worth Bregman. He's a fantastic prospect and has a high likelihood of panning out, but even he is no sure thing. Just look at his start. The mere fact that Houston has made him untouchable doesn't mean anything for his future play. I would be very surprised if the next 4 years of Bregman exceeded the WAR of Quintana.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
I never figured you as one who couldn't handle things you didn't want to see.

I don't mind you expressing your opinion...but you've done that quite a bit at this point. We get it - you aren't happy with the returns and you're not looking forward to the next few lean years. Heck, I think you've even scared enough folks to result in them beating the same position player drum you're beating. But it's already getting old when you come into threads and deliberately throw water on everyone's enthusiasm just for the sake of making it abundantly clear of what your position on the matter is. Again, we get it - you don't like the returns - and that is your right. But eventually, if you aren't in the mood to attend the party, the appropriate thing to do is to go off and do something else, not try and convince the rest of us to stop enjoying ourselves.

You are absolutely right about one thing...the next few years will likely be somewhat depressing. In light of that, allow us to have hope for the years to come after that, because that's really all we have anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 51m51 minutes ago

MLB Roundup. http://bit.ly/2hwo9A2 Why the White Sox are in a dominant position in the Jose Quintana trade talks. News/notes/links.

http://dynastydigest.sportsblog.com/posts/...sis--1-10-.html

Reading this midseason top 10 baseball prospects article makes me really happy about Moncada and Giolito's potential.

Giolito had his struggles, but a fresh start in 2017 should allow him to move closer to reaching his potential.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 51m51 minutes ago

MLB Roundup. http://bit.ly/2hwo9A2 Why the White Sox are in a dominant position in the Jose Quintana trade talks. News/notes/links.

He wrote that yesterday afternoon though. He and the Score keep on reweeting and reposting on FB.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
I don't mind you expressing your opinion...but you've done that quite a bit at this point. We get it - you aren't happy with the returns and you're not looking forward to the next few lean years. Heck, I think you've even scared enough folks to result in them beating the same position player drum you're beating. But it's already getting old when you come into threads and deliberately throw water on everyone's enthusiasm just for the sake of making it abundantly clear of what your position on the matter is. Again, we get it - you don't like the returns - and that is your right. But eventually, if you aren't in the mood to attend the party, the appropriate thing to do is to go off and do something else, not try and convince the rest of us to stop enjoying ourselves.

You are absolutely right about one thing...the next few years will likely be somewhat depressing. In light of that, allow us to have hope for the years to come after that, because that's really all we have anymore.

If the discussion is being had, I see no reason not to participate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
There is zero reason that only one conversation should be had on this site. None. That little speech doesn't change that.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean you've got to come into threads where positivity reigns and s*** on all our heads.

Start a thread for like-minded folks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
I think we should probably get off the rebuild philosophy talk and go back to talking in circles about potential 4 way trades where everyone gets back insane returns.

Yeah.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Of course it's tied to winning. See, this is the problem with a team like the Sox that rarely wins - fans start rationalizing away the emphasis on winning. How much White Sox baseball have you "enjoyed" watching these past four years, when winning has been in such short supply?

The long-term hope on this rebuild is that for the first time in this team's long history, some sustained "winning" will begin to happen, such that comments about enjoying baseball without the need for winning go away.

To each his own. I can enjoy baseball for baseball. I'm the guy that stays until the end of the game regardless of the score.

I've enjoyed going to baseball games the last four years. It's rare that I don't enjoy a baseball game. When i don't it's usually bad weather. My enjoyment of the game isn't tied to the Sox winning. The exception probably would've been the World Series game i went to, but since they won, it isn't an issue.

I see this as more of a problem with people who can only get enjoyment from the game when their team wins. They aren't really baseball fans just more of a fan of winning. Which again is everyone's right but i just don't get it.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
Torres should be the top player coming back in any Q deal with the Yankees.

I just have this feeling that the Rockies could end up being a player for Quintana, Robertson or Jones

They want to compete, but badly need pitching help. They had a bottom 5 rotation and bullpen in 2016 that will continue to hold them back unless they make some big additions.

A packaged including Brendan Rodgers as a headliner would be very attractive

I still think the Pirates get it done with a Meadows + Bell/Keller/Glasnow + a low level arm or two package. If the Sox want Bell they'd probably have to throw Frazier into the deal, but that also probably adds a better of cadre of prospects after the two headliners. Pirates have tanked the market for McCutchen by being so desperate to sell him that its about time for them to realize they never should've shopped him to begin with. Pirates have two years of prime-time baseball and with some favorable contracts long-term and a farm system that still has some muscle with a strong org to recoup what was dealt in the next couple seasons.

Huntington is a good GM and I'm sure they like him, he can convince Nutting to expand the payroll a little bit to add a big piece.