Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Strongly disagree. A lot of teams are not capable of paying TOR $30 million a year, and there are several who are that are trying to get under the luxury tax. There will always be a huge market for Q as long as he performs like he has performed.

No doubt.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
We are starting to talk ourselves into Q being overrated and not as valuable already. Crazy talk.

All depends on where you rated him to begin with. I still don't think he is as valuable as Sale was.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
That's an awful trade for the Sox. Pitt gives up Bell and Diaz for Q? Not a chance. Yes they get rid of Cutch, but still crazy to me.

That's an awful trade for the Sox? That would be by far the best trade they've made thus far.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
All depends on where you rated him to begin with. I still don't think he is as valuable as Sale was.

He definitely isnt if you factor in marketability and give style points. But teams have to focus on winning and let their other players bring those things.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
We are starting to talk ourselves into Q being overrated and not as valuable already. Crazy talk.

This is the same thing I have said before. It amazes me how some people are so quick to undervalue and even denigrate our own players. In the case of Quintana, or our other main players, I can't figure out how someone thinks that in February his value suddenly declines? We don't have to trade Q period unless we get our asking price double period ?

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
He definitely isnt if you factor in marketability and give style points. But teams have to focus on winning and let their other players bring those things.

Regardless of those. There isn't really anything Quintana does better than Sale, except maybe give up a few less HR's. Sale has more K's and fewer BB over the last 4 years. he also has pitched slightly fewer innings.

I am restless for news but not yet for result. With the Astros, I legit worried they would settle for a Duffy/etc.

But if we are to believe Q has a market of pirates/NYY, they are interested in Q for his abilities + contract, and the only other pitcher like that is Archer, who is likely more expensive given past reputation of how Tampa trades.

The teams left, they know their fair price for Q. But Knowing a price is fair and then pulling the trigger are two different things.

It will happen, no need to be fatalistic yet.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
This is the same thing I have said before. It amazes me how some people are so quick to undervalue and even denigrate our own players. In the case of Quintana, or our other main players, I can't figure out how someone thinks that in February his value suddenly declines? We don't have to trade Q period unless we get our asking price double period ?

Correct. They should keep him if they aren't satisfied with the deal.

I don't think anyone said his value has declined. I think what most are saying is that many on this board had unrealistic expectations.

Edited by ptatc

No one in their right mind with all things being equal, would trade Chris Sale for Q.

One thing you get with Q is he is being paid about the same amount, but you get another year of him. 4 years vs. 3 makes up some of the difference. Still, the ask is either right at the limit or beyond the limit a team will clear out their system.

Why would the Dodgers want McCutchen? Rogers is really reaching with that one.

I think the biggest problem with the trade market is the abundance of teams rebuilding plus fringe teams that seem to be standing pat. There's not as many teams interested in players like Blackmon, McCutchen, Todd Frazier and so on.

Strongly disagree. A lot of teams are not capable of paying TOR $30 million a year, and there are several who are that are trying to get under the luxury tax. There will always be a huge market for Q as long as he performs like he has performed.

Right that's why the Sox have the Pirates on the phone. I wouldn't be shocked if the Braves are silently lurking as well, waiting for Hahn's demands to slip a little bit. The Yankees obviously have the money to pay a pitcher $30m a year but nobody on the market this year is worth anywhere close to that and their long term plans are the worst kept secret in baseball. Everyone else? Meh, they dont care.

Without using the words age or contract tell me why Jose Quintana is a better pitcher than Jake Arrieta? What matters most to teams is the player. If they believe in the player they will pay whatever amount of money it takes to get him and they will accept that there are probably going to be a couple years there where the contract will be an albatross. But hey, if you win a title who gives a s***?

The good news for the Sox is its not next year yet and the best FA pitcher left is probably broken down Tyson Ross, a guy who got straight up cut from by far the worst roster in baseball. So if someone out there wants to upgrade their rotation for this year the Sox are the place to shop, but the clock is ticking on that dynamic and before long teams will be able to keep their most prized prospects and get the TOR arm they desire.

First time I've seen names from the Yanks in talks for Q.

It was reported that Cashman refuses to part with Gleyber Torres and it was also reported a week ago that he declined White Sox offer for Quintana that included Luis Severino, Jorge Mateo and the organization’s top prospect Clint Frazier

https://elitesportsny.com/2016/12/30/despit...must-stick-plan

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
Why would the Dodgers want McCutchen? Rogers is really reaching with that one.

I think the biggest problem with the trade market is the abundance of teams rebuilding plus fringe teams that seem to be standing pat. There's not as many teams interested in players like Blackmon, McCutchen, Todd Frazier and so on.

If Dodgers have given up on Puig the Mccutchen makes sense. Their OF is fine.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Right that's why the Sox have the Pirates on the phone. I wouldn't be shocked if the Braves are silently lurking as well, waiting for Hahn's demands to slip a little bit.

I agree with the Atlanta bit here. When I talked to Chris Cotillo, he mentioned that Atlanta was firmly in the Sale sweepstakes, but believed they are a better fit for Q. Ozzie Albies/Kevin Maitan headlined package with an upside arm or two intrigue anyone?