Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

Me spit balling trades out of boredom at work...But the Yankees 3 way trade actually did make a lot of sense, just maybe would work with a different team. I really don't think the Rockies have a clue what they are doing so they are a bad trade partner in general. I really think Gardner or Chase Headley being dealt in the 3 way trade could be the key. If the Yankees could get a team to give them 2 pretty good prospects in return for Gardner/Headley and then flip them to us it would things a lot easier in my opinion. The Giants make a lot of sense for Gardner, I just don't know a whole lot about their system. Looks kinda crappy from the surface though...

Yankees Get: Q

? Team Gets: Brett Gardner or Chase Headley

White Sox Get: Clint Frazier, Miguel Andujuar, Domingo Acevedo + 2 B level prospects from ? team

I see that as working out for everyone...

Yankees get Q without gutting their system + lose a contract they don't want/need.

? Team gets an above average starting player

We get top hitting prospect Frazier with a lot of depth behind him.

QUOTE (RockfordJim @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Just saw this. Sorry if its already been discussed.

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/12/mlb-insid...cago-white-sox/

Lol Phil Rogers strikes again. Seemingly completely unaware of the Dodgers active roster, the fact that the Dodgers are actively trying to reduce long-term dead money, or the fact that De Leon is close to being the centerpiece in a Dozier deal, which is a player the Dodgers actually need.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
If you truly think you would rather have Quintana than Sale, be my guest. however, I think you may one of the few. There is a reason boston wanted Sale not Quintana even though Quintana had a more favorable contract.

Even if all numbers were equal, the potential for one pitcher to be dominant on any given night is going to demand a premium over a guy who is consistently really good. The mere fact that Chris Sale is always a threat to go out and throw a no hitter with 18K's is worth something more than Q.

What if quintana goes somewhere that isnt NYY or PIT but all the discussions ultimately send other players to those clubs. Just killing time, a scenario such as this feels nice:

Q to Hou: Tucker, Martes, Reed, Cameron

Rodon, Robertson to NYY: Rutherford, Mateo, Andujar

Abreu, Jones to PIT: Newman, Keller, Hayes

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
What if quintana goes somewhere that isnt NYY or PIT but all the discussions ultimately send other players to those clubs. Just killing time, a scenario such as this feels nice:

Would be #1 farm system for sure. Miguel Gonzalez for OD ace.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
Lol Phil Rogers strikes again. Seemingly completely unaware of the Dodgers active roster, the fact that the Dodgers are actively trying to reduce long-term dead money, or the fact that De Leon is close to being the centerpiece in a Dozier deal, which is a player the Dodgers actually need.

Eh, Rogers wrote it a week ago and dodgers acquiring too many outfielders has been a thing for a while. And I was more sympathetic to idea Dodgers cared about salary prior to Jansen, Turner and Hill. Not to say this happens but Phil has written much worse than an offseason 8 hypothetocal trades articles.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
If you truly think you would rather have Quintana than Sale, be my guest. however, I think you may one of the few. There is a reason boston wanted Sale not Quintana even though Quintana had a more favorable contract.

Who said that? I didn't. I said in a Postseason matchup, I'd favor Q, all else being equal, mostly because Sale tends to break down at the end of the year. Over the course of a season or career, of course I'd take Sale, but not by much.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
Eh, Rogers wrote it a week ago and dodgers acquiring too many outfielders has been a thing for a while. And I was more sympathetic to idea Dodgers cared about salary prior to Jansen, Turner and Hill. Not to say this happens but Phil has written much worse than an offseason 8 hypothetocal trades articles.

Right but Pederson, Ethier, Puig, Toles, Thompson, Ruf already. I think they've shown they'll still spend money on stuff they need, but why spend a ton of money on their 7th MLB outfielder? The Dodgers would be insane to acquire McCutchen, ESPECIALLY if they did it instead of Dozier AND used a prospect that will almost definitely contribute to the 2017 rotation if they don't move him.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)

Trading Rodon right now would be selling low on him, as he was a much better pitcher down the stretch when he started using his changeup more. At the very least, give him a chance to work with a better framer next season and allow his overall numbers to improve. Dude has so much potential and can either be the ace of our next playoff team or traded for a Sale like return if the rebuild needs more time. Absolutely no reason to rush into a Rodon trade right now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Trading Rodon right now would be selling low on him, as he was a much better pitcher down the stretch when he started using his changeup more. At the very least, give him a chance to work with a better framer next season and allow his overall numbers to improve. Dude has so much potential and can either be the ace of our next playoff team or traded for a Sale like return if the rebuild needs more time. Absolutely no reason to rush into a Rodon trade right now.

Yeah, doing a rebuild, Rodon, Anderson, and all the prospects you can get your hands on should be the only assets not traded away.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Who said that? I didn't. I said in a Postseason matchup, I'd favor Q, all else being equal, mostly because Sale tends to break down at the end of the year. Over the course of a season or career, of course I'd take Sale, but not by much.

Same thing still applies. In any single game, Sale has the potential to dominate compared to Q. I'll take Sale.

And if you barely take Sale, you're nuts but to each his own.

Sox could find themselves with a decision to make this time next year with Rodon if he can put it all together and realize his potential. If they can overcome the Boras factor and lock him up that would be the most ideal, but can't rule out dealing him if he appears intent on testing the market right in the middle of what should be the Sox window.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Sox could find themselves with a decision to make this time next year with Rodon if he can put it all together and realize his potential. If they can overcome the Boras factor and lock him up that would be the most ideal, but can't rule out dealing him if he appears intent on testing the market right in the middle of what should be the Sox window.

If he is still a boras client, you know he will. This was the whole purpose of the agreement to bring him to the MLB his first year, to make sure that clock moves quickly and get to FA as soon as possible.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)

As of right now, the White Sox control Quintana for 4 years, Rodon for 5. If Rodon puts it together during the 2017 race to 2018, the White Sox will still control him for several years when in theory they should be good. He will not be a free agent until after the 2021 season. If the White Sox look out after 2018 and can't see a path to competition in 3 years despite a successful development of Rodon...first of all then the guys they just acquired have completely flopped and Rick Hahn will need to be tarred and feathered along with most of his scouts...but the will still have Rodon under control for 3 years as a pitcher with ace level stuff. Unless Mike Trout is on the table and he isn't, it's hard to fathom any reasonable package for Rodon right now and you'd need to fleece someone next offseason to motivate you to move him then.

Yeah, I agree on Rodon for the most part. However, the boras thing makes it worth keeping 'selling medium' on the table in my mind.

If you fully blow it up and hit on 8 out of 16 guys. That is plenty of money for machado and another 60-80 incremental millions to supplement the 2019 roster

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)

That Rodon trade is horrible. Plus, Rodon is going nowhere .

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
That Rodon trade is horrible. Plus, Rodon is going nowhere .

I think the Pittsburgh deal is worse...Jones and Abreu to Pittsburgh and we don't one of their top 3 prospects?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
I think the Pittsburgh deal is worse...Jones and Abreu to Pittsburgh and we don't one of their top 3 prospects?

I don't like it either, but Keller is going to be up there with Meadows and Glasnow. Definitely top 25 type in updated rankings.

There will be reasons to consider dealing Rodon. Probably not next offseason but the following. If the rebuild is coming along a little slowly or the timetable established by the Quintana trade pushes things out more the Sox would probably be better served using Rodon to patch up other holes more affordably than setting themselves up for him to soak up so much of the payroll flexibility created by the rebuild. A colossal deal that would hamper the ability to resign guys like Moncada or Giolito (should they pan out), and if th Sox are in the thick of their window they dont want to be faced with letting Rodon walk for nothing or rolling the dice on resigning other guys.

A lot of things have to happen for this to be an issue. For one Rodon has to actually break out this year and take that next step (I think he will) but also him and his agent will have to reject the Sox inevitable extension discussions. For a pitcher its awful tough to turn down $50-60m guaranteed when you're still 4 or more years from getting the big payday. I dont care who his agent is, that bonus Rodon got from being drafted only carries so far. Also, to keep this post relevant to this thread, the Quintana return will be important. If the Sox get guys in high A with ETA's more than a year and a half away the impetus grows significantly to maximize Rodon's value mor long term via an extension or trade.

Which trade would you accept for Q? Do the other teams accept these deals?

Q to the Yankees for Frazier, Rutherford, Kaplielian, and Sands

Q to the Braves for Albies, Maitian, Soroka, and Toussaint

Q to the Astros for Martes, Tucker, Fisher, and Stubbs

Q to the Pirates for Glasnow, Bell, Diaz, and Escobar

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 30, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
Which trade would you accept for Q? Do the other teams accept these deals?

Q to the Yankees for Frazier, Rutherford, Kaplielian, and Sands

Q to the Braves for Albies, Maitian, Soroka, and Toussaint

Q to the Astros for Martes, Tucker, Fisher, and Stubbs

Q to the Pirates for Glasnow, Bell, Diaz, and Escobar

Yankees trade, yes and yes.

Braves trade, yes and no

Astros trade, yes and no

Pirates trade, yes and yes