Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
I just don't think you worry about any specific position yet. Just collect the most talent possible. If a top catcher comes available then great, if not, you worry about that later.

Yup.

And if you have a deep farm with alot of good things, you can trade those good things for other good things that you might need down the road when it's time.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
I'd have a problem if they asked for less than that. Zero incentive to give away Q just to trade him.

I mean from Houston's standpoint - to get a pitcher like Q for that ask. Pull the trigger all day if you're Luhnow with how consistent Q is. As another poster said, I bet the hangup was the inclusion of Musgrove off their MLB roster.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
I'd have a problem if they asked for less than that. Zero incentive to give away Q just to trade him.

That is a fair asking price in my opinion. Quintana is a very valuable pitcher

I would not accept less than Musgrove or Reed, Martes and Tucker for Q

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo now6 seconds ago

When Astros askewd on Jose Quintana, Chisox asked 3 names:Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker, Joe Musgrove

Replace Musgrove with Reed & a lottery ticket and I'll take that deal. The Astros would be crazy to say no unless they can get Archer for less.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
I mean from Houston's standpoint - to get a pitcher like Q for that ask. Pull the trigger all day if you're Luhnow with how consistent Q is. As another poster said, I bet the hangup was the inclusion of Musgrove off their MLB roster.

Q, Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, Fiers/Musgrove

If they are hung up on moving the guy slotted in at 5, change it to Reed and Stubbs and call it a day. Musgrove is a fine pitcher, but not a deal breaker IMO.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
That is a fair asking price in my opinion. Quintana is a very valuable pitcher

I would not accept less than Musgrove or Reed, Martes and Tucker for Q

I agree, I wonder what i would take for Stubbs and Hernandez though.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
Luhnow is a prospect hoarder. I dont see a trade going down with the Astros.

That is a really fair asking price I feel like.

The Sox won't trade Quintana for less than that, and Houston can certainly afford to deal Musgove/Martes/Tucker in exchange for four years of prime Q

Sidenote: We would have unrivaled prospect pitching depth in the mlb if that deal were to happen

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)

The Sox won't trade Quintana for less than that, and Houston can certainly afford to deal Musgove/Martes/Tucker in exchange for four years of prime Q

Sidenote: We would have unrivaled prospect pitching depth in the mlb if that deal were to happen

I would take Musgrove out if they added others in. But Martes and Tucker have to be in there.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)

That is alot of right handed pitchers in the minors. Not complaining but that would make the the top 10 pitchers in our minor leagues all right handers.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
Luhnow is a prospect hoarder. I dont see a trade going down with the Astros.

He gave up a huge package for Giles, he'll eventually give up some prospects for a TOR starter. I think he's just playing hardball hoping the price drops a bit on Quintana or another target.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Please explain why a team that needs pitching would be willing to trade away 2 starters, to get just one back, especially when one of them is their number one prospect and ready to contribute next year.

1. Prospects aren't sure things.

2. Q has been a top 3 consistent SP in baseball the last 3 seasons.

3. Musgrove is a #5.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
He gave up a huge package for Giles, he'll eventually give up some prospects for a TOR starter. I think he's just playing hardball hoping the price drops a bit on Quintana or another target.

The problem for him is there is no other target. Atleast one not as openly available as Q.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Please explain why a team that needs pitching would be willing to trade away 2 starters, to get just one back, especially when one of them is their number one prospect and ready to contribute next year.

1. Because they want to win now

2. A prospect being "ready" now doesn't mean they'll be good now

3. No guarantee any of them pan out

4. "Their number one prospect" means nothing. Some team's number one prospects aren't even highly rated

5. Because that's the price if they want an ace pitcher & the Sale/Eaton trades have shown this

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
1. Because they want to win now

2. A prospect being "ready" now doesn't mean they'll be good now

3. No guarantee any of them pan out

4. "Their number one prospect" means nothing. Some team's number one prospects aren't even highly rated

5. Because that's the price if they want an ace pitcher & the Sale/Eaton trades have shown this

Martes is the #5 RH pitching prospect in baseball. I really doubt that this happens.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
That is alot of right handed pitchers in the minors. Not complaining but that would make the the top 10 pitchers in our minor leagues all right handers.

You seriously can never have too much pitching. Pitching is also extremely expensive in free agency.

Not all of our prospects will pan out, plus they can be used to trade for bats when the time is right

Musgrove has the potential to be a very solid #3 or 4 starter with great control. He does pose some injury risk though.

Clearly Bregman is not in the deal, but with that being the case the Astros can't be overly picky about prospects in order to get a deal done for Q

I do think Musgrove might be who they do not want to give up in that package

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
Martes is the #5 RH pitching prospect in baseball. I really doubt that this happens.

Sale and Quintana have very similar trade value, especially due to Q having the additional year of cheap control

Martes is considered to be on a similar level to Kopech

Since there is no marquee headliner like Moncada, the extra pieces of the deal both have to be very good like Tucker and Musgrove

I think the firm request of Reed or Musgrove + Martes + Tucker gets a deal done