Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

Such an absurd comparison hahaha. Guys is clearly a troll or completely misunderstands how baseball works. You could put Sale in the 5th slot and it wouldn't matter, he's playing the same hitters and pitchers over the course of a year.

Don't feed the trolls!!!

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Q gets traded to a GOOD team, and he's their number 1? His numbers are going to be way worse. If you don't understand that concept you are clueless.

Even if we give you the absurd premise that Quintana has faced "zero pressure", do you have any evidence that it's more difficult to put up numbers on a good team versus a bad team? Hell you could argue that it's actually more difficult to put up good numbers with no pressure because it's harder to keep the same motivation, and pitching on bad teams means having to pitch over more handicaps like poor catchers/defense behind you, both of which Q has had to deal with plenty.

Q gets traded to a GOOD team, and he's their number 1? His numbers are going to be way worse. If you don't understand that concept you are clueless.

You do understand that he played for the Sox, not the Knights?

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
He's had zero pressure. It's like the pressure of a back up QB vs a starter.

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
He's not an ace.

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Hey genius lol it's the same QB. Wow.

You're either trolling, on some really good s***, or very stupid.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Even if we give you the absurd premise that Quintana has faced "zero pressure", do you have any evidence that it's more difficult to put up numbers on a good team versus a bad team? Hell you could argue that it's actually more difficult to put up good numbers with no pressure because it's harder to keep the same motivation, and pitching on bad teams means having to pitch over more handicaps like poor catchers/defense behind you, both of which Q has had to deal with plenty.

Good point. Sale on his way out was complimented by sox staff for how he continued to compete even as seasons dropped away from us.

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
Such an absurd comparison hahaha. Guys is clearly a troll or completely misunderstands how baseball works. You could put Sale in the 5th slot and it wouldn't matter, he's playing the same hitters and pitchers over the course of a year.

Don't feed the trolls!!!

Seriously people. Guy is obviously a troll, or not an actual baseball/White Sox fan. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Anyway, on topic, I would say some form of Torres/Frazier/Rutherford is significantly better than any non-Bregman package the Astros could offer, and up there with a Rodgers/Dahl conversation.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Seriously people. Guy is obviously a troll, or not an actual baseball/White Sox fan. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Anyway, on topic, I would say some form of Torres/Frazier/Rutherford is significantly better than any non-Bregman package the Astros could offer, and up there with a Rodgers/Dahl conversation.

I would take the bolded over each package you mentioned (except a magical Bregman re-entry).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I mean, how about the pressure of constantly only being provided 1-2 runs of support every night out while trying to get your team a win?

Yeah, the best place to start when explaining Q is right there. The dude is always near last in terms of run support in all of baseball. The guy effectively pitches a playoff baseball game every time he goes out because he knows if he gives up more than 3 runs, the odds have been incredibly high that he will lose. Has it cracked him? No. He just keeps getting better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
I would take the bolded over each package you mentioned (except a magical Bregman re-entry).

The Yankees aren't going to give up all 3, but if they went temporarily insane and made the offer, I'd try to get the paperwork pushed through before Cashman got his wits about him again.

Yankees coming out of nowhere. I was hoping they'd come for him. They're the best match left for the Sox. Start with a Frazier, Torres package.

I'd be good with a deal like some above have said. Frazier, Torres, and Mateo/Rutherford and maybe one more low lotto ticket. But would do very well to pry those 3 or some combo. Sort of like 3 stud prospects like the Eaton return.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
Yankees coming out of nowhere. I was hoping they'd come for him. They're the best match left for the Sox. Start with a Frazier, Torres package.

Supposedly they've called most teams regarding pitching according to Morosi so it kinda sounds more like due diligence on their part.

Edited by soxfan2014

My favorites in a Yankee trade are Torres ,Rutherford ,Kaprielian and Chance Adams. I thought that Rutherford was the best HS hitting prospect in last year's draft(sorry Mickey Moniak).

Kaprielian was dominating high A in his first professional season before his tendon strain. I believe he would have been rater much higher in their system if he was not injured.

Chance Adams is also underrated on their prospect lists IMO:

Here's what Baseball America said about the 22-year-old:

Move over, Tyler Glasnow. Adams allowed just 5.4 hits per nine innings this season and led the minors with a .169 opponent average.

That mark ranks as the second lowest by a qualified minor league starter since 1993, which is as far back as we can trace such records.

(The top mark belongs to former White Sox prospect Fautino de los Santos, a righty who allowed a .163 average in 2007.)

Adams, a 2015 fifth-round pick from Dallas Baptist, throws an excellent fastball up to 97 mph that helped him set up solid secondary stuff and go 13-1, 2.33 at two levels this season.

He struck out 144 in 127 innings and ranked among the overall minor league leaders in ERA and WHIP (0.90).

Edited by 2Dbill

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Since Quintana has no pressure, that means the opposing player has no pressure, since Quintana has been able to dominate opposing players in the box. Its all relative, when players show up to the Cell....um, G Rate, they feel no need to win the game because the Sox arent good, so they just let Quintana beat them since he doesnt have any pressure either.

So, in summary, Quintanas numbers dont mean anything because nobody feels any pressure in the field where the White Sox play, therefore all numbers generated in the field where the White Sox play dont mean anything because Josh McCown

Pressure is knowing that everytime you go to the mound if you give up 2-3 runs your teams loses. That's pressure.

Edited by SoxSteve

Would love to get Andujar, Rutherford and Torres from the Yanks.

I think with the Yanks deep farm Hahn might change his stance on dealing Robertson separately. Q + Robertson for a package starting with Andujar, Rutherford and Torres ++ would have me quite giddy.

It's about time a Yanks rumor emerged. There's no way they hand the division over to Boston without a fight. The Yanks have to do something to try and counter the Boston acquisition of Sale.

This seems super unlikely. Even Marchand says as much in his blurb. I think its too early for the Yanks to be slinging prospects. Any Q news is good I guess, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

If the Yankees see themselves as fringe contenders in 2017 but serious contenders 2018 and onward Quintana makes a ton of sense. Durable LH innings eater is one of the locomotives teams rely on to win a division. And in the AL East its not just about finding a Bumgarner for the playoffs. Avoiding the wild card playoff is a big deal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Torres. Think he's got a higher ceiling, more refined hit tool.

And paired with Rutherford would make me ecstatic.

I agree, Torres and Rutherford as the starting point with Kaprelian or Tate as the third piece and Montgomery as the last sweetener and I'm sold. Charlotte's rotation would be very crowded.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Pressure is knowing that everytime you go to the mound if you give up 2-3 runs your teams loses. That's pressure.

Uh no. It's not. But I'm on your side, so I'll leave it.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
i LOL'd :D

For as highly touted as the Yankees farm is, I'm not sure I really like any of their prospects outside of Frazier and Torres all that much (even they come with question marks)

Mateo did not really perform very well at A+ ball this season (.685 OPS)

Judge is nearly 25 years old and strikes out a ton

Rutherford looks like a quality prospect, but is a very long way from the majors (ETA looks like 2020 if everything goes right). I think the Sox are looking for closer to the mlb talent.

Sheffield is a decent prospect, but he is undersized and likely going to end up as a reliever.

I agree, Torres and Rutherford as the starting point with Kaprelian or Tate as the third piece and Montgomery as the last sweetener and I'm sold. Charlotte's rotation would be very crowded.

Yankees will never do that deal. You're asking for a ~top 10 guy, two top 50 guys and a fringe top 100 guys. Again, the Yankees aren't going to give up more for Quintana than the Red Sox did for Sale.

I'm not saying Torres is off limits, but Torres + 3 others including another top 50 guy is not happening. Torres isn't quite Moncada, but he's damn close. So if the Sox are getting him back they are probably only getting a 3 player deal rounded out by a couple low end guys. I'm not opposed to that deal, by the way. The Yankees "low end" guys are pretty damn good. They have better players in their top 50 than the Sox have in their top 30 (perhaps an exaggeration, but the Yankees are truly loaded).

Alternatively the Sox could accept a lesser headliner and perhaps get Kapreilian, Mateo or Adams as a second piece.

Both scenarios are superior to the rumored Astros package (and I love Kyle Tucker), and I think more than an adequate return for Quintana.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
If the Yankees see themselves as fringe contenders in 2017 but serious contenders 2018 and onward Quintana makes a ton of sense. Durable LH innings eater is one of the locomotives teams rely on to win a division. And in the AL East its not just about finding a Bumgarner for the playoffs. Avoiding the wild card playoff is a big deal.

They definitely need some pitching, but I think they are more likely to re-evaluate after this season and add for 2018 once they know what they can expect from Frazier/Judge/Bird/Severino (AKA the near-term guys) going forward.