Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
They are much more reasonable than Astros fans. You would have thought Q was a garbage #5 the way they talked about him.

Astros fans did not want to part with anyone for Quintana

Pirates fans do seem to be more realistic in that Glasnow and/or Meadows need to be on the table for a deal to happen.

Meadows appears to be off the table, which would seriously hamper the ability to work a trade.

Bell is a good prospect, but his bat at 1B/DH is much less valuable that a player at a more premium defensive position.

QUOTE (Moncada @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
A few the things I've read say a deal with Pitt would be something like glasnow, diaz, ++

Diaz is not a good enough prospect to be the second piece in a Quintana deal

I need top top prospects for Quintana, and the second piece would need to be premium

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
I'm in College Station (Aggieland) and thus about 1.5 hour drive from downtown Houston. If I'm still here next September I get the Sox for a 3 game series at whatever Minute Maid park is called for now.

I've said since Sale was traded that I can't fathom how the Astros would make the moves they made and go into this season with this rotation. They made strong, short term moves to upgrade their lineup. They won't give up Bregman fine...they have an all star laden infield, they have guys like Gurriel who could be moved to 1b, they absolutely need reliable starting pitching and they have the non-Bregman talent available to get it. On paper they're as good as the Rangers and Texas outperformed in 1 run games last year which you can't expect them to repeat, but on paper I'm looking at the Indians vs. Red Sox ALCS and thinking that series looks epic. The Astros have to change that dynamic.

To me it's half measures. I totally agree they are putting themselves in a position to win again, but would be foolish to think a rotation with McCullers as your #2 (I know they probably list them differently) and Musgrove maybe your #3 by season end is going to win you a WS.

That team with McHugh and Morton? Yuck.

I'd put the Astros as my second favorite team - partly due because I lived down there and partly because I know watching 162 games of the Sox is going to be brutal as it was last year and the next 1.5 years. The Stros have the ability to move a ML bat and acquire Quintana while keeping their top prospects in order. I know they love Bregman, and I do too, but I'd pull the trigger on that. (from the Astros perspective). From the Sox perspective I want Bregman, but there is something to be said about getting 3-5 prospects rather than just Bregman and 1 other decent + throw ins.

I know this is all moot as Bregman isn't going anywhere. But as you said.. you have McCann, Gattis splitting time behind the plate. You have Gurriel who can play LF, RF, 1B, 3B. You have Marwin Gonzalez who can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, etc. You have your middle of the field locked and loaded in Altuve and Correa. Springer and Reddick and Beltran... I mean there are more than enough bats to go around WITHOUT Bregman.

Either way, enjoy your time down there. I couldn't stand the heat, hence why I'm back. Astros park is alright, weird watching baseball inside for me though. And good luck in Aggie land. I adopted them too when down there, but that's a different type of folk. Super into their Aggies - cultish.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Whereabouts in Houston are you living? Lived down there myself a stint. Have some suggestions if you need any.

Myself, and this is just looking at the top 30 prospect list (something I've been doing a lot lately) I would rather do a deal with the Bucs or Astros than the Yanks or other teams being whispered about.

If I'm the Sox? Meadows and Bell are looking real good. That Catching "prospect" is 26 which gives me some pause. He may be decent, but if you're that old generally you have figured it out by now.

The Astros still have the pieces but are being stubborn. I like Reed and a few of their guys, but I for one would rather have hitting prospects rather than more pitching ... and as another poster said I think Meadows is really a Bregman in a way. Maybe a poor man's Bregman, but hard to tell this early in either career.

Catching prospects take longer to develop and he missed a lot of time last year due to elbow surgery or something. He won't be a star, but he's a strong defender and has the potential to have an average bat for the position. He'd be a great get at the back-end of a deal IMO.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
To me it's half measures. I totally agree they are putting themselves in a position to win again, but would be foolish to think a rotation with McCullers as your #2 (I know they probably list them differently) and Musgrove maybe your #3 by season end is going to win you a WS.

That team with McHugh and Morton? Yuck.

I'd put the Astros as my second favorite team - partly due because I lived down there and partly because I know watching 162 games of the Sox is going to be brutal as it was last year and the next 1.5 years. The Stros have the ability to move a ML bat and acquire Quintana while keeping their top prospects in order. I know they love Bregman, and I do too, but I'd pull the trigger on that. (from the Astros perspective). From the Sox perspective I want Bregman, but there is something to be said about getting 3-5 prospects rather than just Bregman and 1 other decent + throw ins.

I know this is all moot as Bregman isn't going anywhere. But as you said.. you have McCann, Gattis splitting time behind the plate. You have Gurriel who can play LF, RF, 1B, 3B. You have Marwin Gonzalez who can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, etc. You have your middle of the field locked and loaded in Altuve and Correa. Springer and Reddick and Beltran... I mean there are more than enough bats to go around WITHOUT Bregman.

Either way, enjoy your time down there. I couldn't stand the heat, hence why I'm back. Astros park is alright, weird watching baseball inside for me though. And good luck in Aggie land. I adopted them too when down there, but that's a different type of folk. Super into their Aggies - cultish.

So many ridiculous articles out there undervaluing Quintana.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-s...quintana-122116

This one suggest that Yankees can offer Frazier + Sheffield + a throw in and that should be enough for Quintana. Quintana is vastly more valuable than the return they got for Andrew Miller.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
Astros fans did not want to part with anyone for Quintana

Pirates fans do seem to be more realistic in that Glasnow and/or Meadows need to be on the table for a deal to happen.

Meadows appears to be off the table, which would seriously hamper the ability to work a trade.

Bell is a good prospect, but his bat at 1B/DH is much less valuable that a player at a more premium defensive position.

I wouldn't put much stock into what Astros fans say. They barely know there is a team down there. Also Quintana is not a sexy name to most outsiders.

Also doesn't help when the GM comes out and says things against Q. Everybody who doesn't pay attention just jumps onto that comment. If I was Q it'd be a rough start to my relationship with my GM if he said what he did.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Yea after seeing the Astros thoughts on what a fair trade for Q or Sale is I have no problems watching them lose the division to some inferior AL West team because they dont have any starters who can pitch over 150 innings with an ERA under 4.

I think we all are moving on from the Astros, as they are not ready to get serious with a trade proposal

New York, Pittsburgh and Rockies seem like they could all be very much in the mix...plus perhaps a few mystery teams?

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Bregman, Meadows, Glasnow, Rodgers, Dahl, Torres, Frazier

I have confidence that Hahn will negotiate his way to one of those headliners before this is over, or else we'll see Quintana on the hill for the Sox Opening Day 2017.

Hahn is not going to let his final blue chip trade piece go without getting a hefty return. Eventually a team will cave and offer up a great package. Quintana's contract makes him incredibly valuable.

Houston is not dealing Bregman. I think we can forget about that.

Pittsburgh is unlikely to deal Meadows, but I would not totally rule it out. Glasnow could be on the table.

I could see Colorado being willing to deal Rodgers and/or Dahl

Yankees likely do not want to part with Torres or Frazier

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Bregman, Meadows, Glasnow, Rodgers, Dahl, Torres, Frazier

I have confidence that Hahn will negotiate his way to one of those headliners before this is over, or else we'll see Quintana on the hill for the Sox Opening Day 2017.

Agreed. We're sitting in the catbird seat (had to work in the Hawk'ism)

He's smart enough to know that Q is our last big trade piece that will in all reality determine the pace, strength, timeline, and success of this teardown. You need to carefully execute this piece and get at least 2 TOP prospects in the MLB, not just of a certain team, of the MLB.

After this we have a couple bullpen pieces that can get you decent haul, but nothing as powerful as a top, controllable pitcher when MLB is starving for arms.

You need one of those guys or equivalent listed above. And I really hope it leans towards the bats. I'd like to get 2-3 bats.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
Hahn is not going to let his final blue chip trade piece go without getting a hefty return. Eventually a team will cave and offer up a great package. Quintana's contract makes him incredibly valuable.

Houston is not dealing Bregman. I think we can forget about that.

Pittsburgh is unlikely to deal Meadows, but I would not totally rule it out. Glasnow could be on the table.

I could see Colorado being willing to deal Rodgers and/or Dahl

Yankees likely do not want to part with Torres or Frazier

I think you can see it happen if they sign a 1B like Trumbo or Encarnacion. They need to.

Quintana is probably as good as gone. It looked a little dicey there for about a week where there was a massive lull since the Gammons tweet about the Astros package, but now the Sox are probably more pitting teams against each other in negotiations rather than pitting them against the threat of just pulling Q off the market. Get the Pirates, Astros, Yankees and whoever else may be calling (its a new team every day now) to each put up their best offers and then roll with whichever they like the most.

The odds of Q being the Sox going forward are nearing zero, IMO. I like Q a lot so this is a bittersweet realization.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Quintana is probably as good as gone. It looked a little dicey there for about a week where there was a massive lull since the Gammons tweet about the Astros package, but now the Sox are probably more pitting teams against each other in negotiations rather than pitting them against the threat of just pulling Q off the market. Get the Pirates, Astros, Yankees and whoever else may be calling (its a new team every day now) to each put up their best offers and then roll with whichever they like the most.

The odds of Q being the Sox going forward are nearing zero, IMO. I like Q a lot so this is a bittersweet realization.

Exactly.

Sox are just waiting for one team to offer up the big kahuna package, and Quintana is gone. A bidding war between suitors will only help us land a better package.

Any package with meadows is the best in my opinion. It will be hard for any team to make it up in the back end. Yankees including Torres and 3-4 others would only be close.

Astros would have a lot to do to make that up.

I love bouncing my trade ideas off of Dave Cameron. From the chat today...

Striker

12:36

Quintana and Jones for Glasnow, Meadows, Bell and Keller

Dave Cameron

12:36 Probably too rich for PIT, but interesting.

Jones is worth a lot, so maybe that's not so far off.

IF Pit were to trade for Q (don't think they will) id say they have to include Meadows. Bell is a nice prospect, but he'd have to a seriously elite bat to warrant trading Q for a 1B/DH type. And as others have pointed out Bell very well be their opening day 1B while Meadows has no where to play unless they sell low on Cutch, and seems pretty obvious now that that isn't happening.

My official guess would be Meadows, Keller, Hayes and Agrazal...last name is extremely interchangeable obviously, but I can definitely see the 1st 3 names being the main pieces in a Q trade. Really not far off from the Sale trade, just not quite as good because Moncada/Kopech is nearly impossible to replicate.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)

Striker

Dave Cameron

I hate the idea of pairing Jones up with Q. I could see him being paired with someone who has a year or two left like Frazier, Melky (if we are dealing with a team that needs a bat in left plus we ate money), or Robertson.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)

Striker

Dave Cameron

LOL. I'd be happy to get Meadows, Bell and Keller for Q. If we throw in Jones we get Glasnow? Sign me up!

Using the Sale deal as a rough template, you'd think a Q deal with the Pirates would look something like:

Glasnow or Meadows (the Moncada piece)

Bell or Newman (the Koepech piece)

and a few second tier guys

Q isn't quite Sale, but Glasnow/Medows aren't quite Moncada either.

Edited by bighurt574

Striker

Dave Cameron

I just cant see that happening. For me the Sox should be doing a backflip if they get any 2 of those 4 for Quintana. Throwing in Jones just obfuscates what a "fair deal" is and doesn't fit with the plan to sell these guys individually rather than package them up.

If there is one real untouchable for the Pirates it may be Keller. 20 years old, A+ and he had 131 K in 124 IP (very good) but with only 18 walks. 18 walks in 124 IP is already outstanding for a guy his age, but then put that up against the 131 K's and it superhuman. How many 20 year olds actually have command (not just control) of his arsenal at that age? If I'm Pittsburgh I dont sell him until I'm convinced he's done getting better, and you cant be convinced of that for a 20 year old in A+ ball no matter how insane the season he just had was.