Moncada vs Benintendi

hi8is

Who would you have preferred for Sale?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Moncada
    • Benintendi

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Voted Benintendi. The cliche here is time will tell. But for now, even Red Sox fans were relieved that they gave up Moncada, not Benintendi. High ceiling but lower floor is Moncada.

It probably has more to do with the fact Benintendi came up and hit good and Moncada came up and struggled. Fans tend to overreact to small sample sizes (as seen here a lot yesterday).

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
I honestly think I would have liked Benintendi instead myself. You guys?

Both Benintendi and Moncada are excellent prospects.

Benintendi is further along in his development and profiles to be a fringe all star outfielder with quality skills across the board. He is mlb ready to contribute starting in the 2017 season. Benintendi is an above average fielder.

Moncada has above average hit tool and above average power, elite 70 grade speed, great 65 grade arm, and average fielding skills

Benintendi has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling. I would place his floor as Jason Kipnis, but an outfielder...and his ceiling as Mookie Betts

Moncada plays infield, where offensive production is even more valuable

If Moncada can become a .280+ - 20+ home run, high on base percentage hitter who can steal bases he will be a very exciting player for years

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
It probably has more to do with the fact Benintendi came up and hit good and Moncada came up and struggled. Fans tend to overreact to small sample sizes (as seen here a lot yesterday).

Listening to a Boston talk show today with Felger and Mazz who are long-time media people. They tend to be negative Red Sox since their station does not carry them. They felt Moncada was the one to trade since too many Cuban hitters have not lived up to their advanced billing.

Some write-ups have said Benintendi may turn out to be an all-star but Moncada can be an MVP. One compared the two to Fred Lynn and Jim Rice when they arrived.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
Both Benintendi and Moncada are excellent prospects.

Benintendi is further along in his development and profiles to be a fringe all star outfielder with quality skills across the board. He is mlb ready to contribute starting in the 2017 season. Benintendi is an above average fielder.

Moncada has above average hit tool and above average power, elite 70 grade speed, great 65 grade arm, and average fielding skills

Benintendi has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling. I would place his floor as Jason Kipnis, but an outfielder...and his ceiling as Mookie Betts

Moncada plays infield, where offensive production is even more valuable

If Moncada can become a .280+ - 20+ home run, high on base percentage hitter who can steal bases he will be a very exciting player for years

Moncada may not be an infielder. Great arm but I have seen a lot of baseball people in New England feel he will end up in a corner outfield position. Now he was blocked at 2nd in Boston and struggled some at 3B in minors. It will be interesting after Spring Training where Sox think he should play in AAA

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)

I agree^

Benintendi is more polished at this point, but Moncada has more power potential. His ceiling is huge, and a player who could be Robinson Cano with more speed is a welcome addition

Tough for me.

Sox have had trouble developing bats, and think that Moncada's power profile will lead to a player with a better bat.

But benintendi will be a very good contact hitter with totally respectable power numbers and probably one year of 20-25 home runs that if he sticks as a CFer may have made him a more well rounded guy.

I loved benintendi, him and anderson had the same quick wrists to catch up to anything.

But pretty sure Moncada is gonna be the bat we needed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
Tough for me.

Sox have had trouble developing bats, and think that Moncada's power profile will lead to a player with a better bat.

But benintendi will be a very good contact hitter with totally respectable power numbers and probably one year of 20-25 home runs that if he sticks as a CFer may have made him a more well rounded guy.

I loved benintendi, him and anderson had the same quick wrists to catch up to anything.

But pretty sure Moncada is gonna be the bat we needed.

Moncada has shown the ability not only to hit, but also get on base in the minor leagues as well with a .395 OBP in two seasons. If he puts it all together we could be looking at a player that does not exist in most organizations

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:37 PM)
another interesting angle is to ask who you preferred out of the following: Moncada, Benintendi, Swanson or Bregman. Bregman and Swanson were said to be off limits.

Honestly liked Moncada/Benintendi most, Bregman next, then Swanson.

At this point I think Benintendi is more of a sure thing. OK you can peg me as one of those who liked the SSS of his ML debut as opposed to Moncada's.

Moncada is the toolsier guy and we've seen how the Sox have coveted and failed with those types. Just wanted more of a sure thing for Sale. Moncada will have to prove he can hit change ups and curves. If he can though... watch out. If he can't... yikes.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:13 AM)
At this point I think Benintendi is more of a sure thing. OK you can peg me as one of those who liked the SSS of his ML debut as opposed to Moncada's.

Moncada is the toolsier guy and we've seen how the Sox have coveted and failed with those types. Just wanted more of a sure thing for Sale. Moncada will have to prove he can hit change ups and curves. If he can though... watch out. If he can't... yikes.

Exactly my thinking as well.