2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

59 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Problem is that this year college position players are bad. I don't see anyone of them being really good. Most have projected hit tools of 50 (260) at best except for madrigal. There isn't a single hitter who projects to be a .300 with 30 bombs hitter. Sure one of the high ceiling guys could turn into this but that will mean they have really stretched their ceiling.

So if singer is a 3 starter that is really not worse than bohm becoming a 250 hitter with 25 bombs and bad defense.

Rarely are hitters projected with those numbers. That’s a 70 hit tool with 70 game power. That’s a once a decade prospect let alone a 4th overall guy. 

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Even if he comes back healthy, I’m not sure Burdi is better than Hamilton (11th round) or Tyler Johnson (5th round), not to mention Ruiz, who they got for nothing.  Bullpen way easier to find than starters.

Burdi has three plus pitches including a legit 80 grade fastball.  He has a chance to be the best reliever in baseball IMO.  I’m a huge fan of Hamilton & Johnson, but they are simply not on the same level as Burdi.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Aren’t we allowed to go over by like 5% or has that amount changed under the new CBA?   I mean, I would be pretty disappointed if we didn’t at least use all our base bonus pool.

Yeah you don't lose a pick until 5%.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox (and no other MLB team) would have drafted him at #8 if they believed that...

Other than Royce Ring, Poreda...Burdi in the supplemental round, I can’t remember ANY teams in Major League Baseball taking guys who projected to come out of the bullpen in the 1st round.   It’s just not done, except for a once in a generation reliever, who’s undoubtedly being drafted as a starter and will fail in that quest along with way.

Tyler Jay

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think they took him for a potential bullpen role later in that year if they were still competitive late in the season.

What a way to go out for Doug Laumann. 

3 hours ago, fathom said:

If you told me Singer is a number 3 starter in the majors, I'd say sign me up now. If this year has shown us anything, it's that projecting young starting pitching is very difficult.

Same here. If the Sox feel Singer can continue to improve his change up then sign me up. The kid is already a strike thrower with great movement on his fastball and slider. Imagine his potential if the change up continues to improve and the Sox teach him to throw a cutter, which the Sox are known for. I really don't see why Singer couldn't learn to throw a cutter.

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Singer has become severely underrated on this site.

On 5/30/2018 at 8:33 PM, Dam8610 said:

Rank these pitchers:

Pitcher A: 16 G 15 GS 104.2 IP 139 K 21 BB 78 H 29 ER 2.49 ERA 0.95 WHIP 11.95 K/9 1.81 BB/9 6.62 K/BB

Pitcher B: 13 G 13 GS 88.0 IP 92 K 18 BB 59 H 22 ER 2.25 ERA 0.88 WHIP 9.41 K/9 1.84 BB/9 5.11 K/BB

Pitcher C : 15 G 15 GS 102.2 IP 140 K 10 BB 73 H 35 ER 3.07 ERA 0.81 WHIP 12.27 K/9 0.29 BB/9 14.00 K/BB

On 5/30/2018 at 8:54 PM, Dam8610 said:

Stats are not the only measure, but they're used. Here are the Fangraphs grades for each:

Pitcher A: FB 55/55 CB 50/55 CH 50/55 CMD 50/55 Sits 90-94 Tops 95

Pitcher B: FB 55/55 CB 45/50 CH 45/50 CMD 45/55 Sits 91-94 Tops 96

Pitcher C : FB 60/60 SL 50/55 CH 55/60 CT 60/65 CMD 45/50 Sits 92-96 Tops 97

One of the above pitchers is Brady Singer, can you guess which?

11 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

One of the above pitchers is Brady Singer, can you guess which?

A? Though this is kinda a trick question because Fangraphs classifies his breaking pitch as a curve, where he and everyone else calls it a slider.

Edited by DirtySox

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

A? Though this is kinda a trick question because Fangraphs classifies his breaking pitch as a curve, where he and everyone else calls it a slider.

A is not Brady Singer. A is the pitcher who was the point of the comparison.

25 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Then it has to be B. Though I thought he would have had a higher grade on his breaking pitch.

12 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Pitcher B. I only know this because I was looking at his stats an hour ago lol.

Correct. C is Casey Mize. A is Luke Heimlich.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?  That Heimlich is a good pitcher?  Everyone knows that.  That isn't necessarily enough reason to draft him.  It is also now a reason not to draft Singer. 

Why draft Singer at 4 when you can draft Heimlich likely in the 11th round? Better stats, better grades, bigger need because he's a LHSP, and Madrigal has a 70 grade hit tool, those don't come through the draft that often, and they're usually taken 1-1.

In my opinion Singer and Madrigal are basically 2 sides of the same coin.  Neither is particularly exciting, but both are easily projectable into the major leagues.  Both have tools that project to be above average.  Both could very easily be good players, while neither is very likely to be elite.  I have no problem with the Sox taking either, and don't really understand why so many seem to hate the idea of Singer.  

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Why draft Singer at 4 when you can draft Heimlich likely in the 11th round? Better stats, better grades, bigger need because he's a LHSP, and Madrigal has a 70 grade hit tool, those don't come through the draft that often, and they're usually taken 1-1.

Also a guy that the Sox shouldn't touch with a 100 foot pole in my opinion.

And advocating for a player because of grades is completely silly.  Especially with the other issues.  

Edited by turnin' two

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

I want nothing to do with Heimlich, but he should have no baring on our draft strategy regardless.  Draft Madrigal for the reasons you mentioned, not because someone comparable to Singer with significant baggage might be available later in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I want nothing to do with Heimlich, but he should have no baring on our draft strategy regardless.  Draft Madrigal for the reasons you mentioned, not because someone comparable to Singer with significant baggage might be available later in the draft.

Not similar, better. At least in my opinion. Also, what happened to America being the land of opportunity and second chances? He was convicted of a crime and completed the terms of his sentence. Why shouldn't he have the opportunity to try to make a lucrative career for himself?