Soler to KC for Wade Davis

Kyyle23

I think KC potentially gets the better deal here. Soler is probably going to end up better than Garcia, so I don't agree with the comparison there. Davis is a one year rental while Soler is controlled through 2020.

Both teams will most likely benefit, but KC gets the better long-term benefits.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
I dont see how its a steal. One year of an injury plagued closer isnt worth all that much IMO. Soler has played 211 games Avi has played 409. So its like trading garcia 2 years ago, or when we thought he had tremendous value.

Chapman reportedly has an offer of 92 million dollars and Melancon just got 62 million. Wade Davis is every bit as good but yeah he needs a clean bill of health.

This of course hurts us for Robertson

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
Yeah. This. They basically are sending Avi Garica for Wade Davis.

Soler is still better than Garcia. He has legit in-game power. Put up a 118 wRC+ and a .350 wOBA vs LHP last year. Garcia couldn't dream of doing that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
Chapman reportedly has an offer of 92 million dollars and Melancon just got 62 million. Wade Davis is every bit as good but yeah he needs a clean bill of health.

Well, those are free agent multi year contracts and this is his walk year. He is making 10 million this year. If he does come through healthy he's going to make a pretty nice contract next offseason.

But still, I think Soler has much more value. I dont even think the Cubs need a closer.

So to ask here now that there's a thread...

WTF are the Royals doing? Does this make them better next year? not to my eyes. They were a freak injury and a terrible season from Hosmer last year away from being a solid playoff team again. Practically 1/2 of their world series contributors hit free agency after this year. Fine, they have salary constraints, but if there is ever a time to go for it for a franchise, it's where the Royals are now. Are they going to trade Moustakas, Cain, Hosmer, Duffy, Escobar, and Dyson all now? Go find someone who can give up a 1b/DH type who won't cost a ton because he's a free agent soon, take your best shot at adding 1 more arm to your rotation, and on paper you've got a team that rivals Cleveland. You're rebuilding in 2018 no matter what you do, go win another trophy first.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)

WTF are the Royals doing? Does this make them better next year? not to my eyes. They were a freak injury and a terrible season from Hosmer last year away from being a solid playoff team again. Practically 1/2 of their world series contributors hit free agency after this year. Fine, they have salary constraints, but if there is ever a time to go for it for a franchise, it's where the Royals are now. Are they going to trade Moustakas, Cain, Hosmer, Duffy, Escobar, and Dyson all now? Go find someone who can give up a 1b/DH type who won't cost a ton because he's a free agent soon, take your best shot at adding 1 more arm to your rotation, and on paper you've got a team that rivals Cleveland. You're rebuilding in 2018 no matter what you do, go win another trophy first.

I asked my friend the same thing. It must really suck to be a Royals fan and see them tearing down what took ten years to build, because they simply dont want to pay market value for their guys. They are trying to define rolling rebuild, i guess

Not sure paying those guys market value would even be worth it though. Hosmer is very inconsistent and has been replacement level two of the last three years. Cain is aging. Dyson and Escobar can't hit a lick. Duffy has never pitched more than 180 innings. Moustakas is decent but far from a star. They're not greatly valuable assets.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
I asked my friend the same thing. It must really suck to be a Royals fan and see them tearing down what took ten years to build, because they simply dont want to pay market value for their guys. They are trying to define rolling rebuild, i guess

With the payroll constraints of "Kansas City", if I were a fan of theirs I would not complain about the hangover after the 2015 celebration. They did their job and brought home a trophy. The hangover is the rebuild. I would not mind the post 2017 tearing down. I would be extremely frustrated if they held some of their guys, traded some others for guys not ready to contribute, brought back a scattering of draft picks and players, and wound up with a .500 team in 2017 and a .450 team in 2018. That's what this move says to me - here's a piece for the future yay, but why on Earth are you doing that with only 1 guy? Give me one more run at a title with a team that you have strong evidence can win a title (2015), then call it a job well done, have a couple 5th place seasons, and get back to work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)

They say they think they can compete with Hererra as the closer. I don't think they'll trade their impending FAs like Mous, Cain, Hosmer, Escobar. They may sell high on Duffy.

They must really love Soler. I don't get the deal, seems like a great one for the Cubs. I've never been a big Soler guy, but there is definitely potential there. Injury concerns with Davis must be real.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
They say they think they can compete with Hererra as the closer. I don't think they'll trade their impending FAs like Mous, Cain, Hosmer, Escobar. They may sell high on Duffy.

They must really love Soler. I don't get the deal, seems like a great one for the Cubs. I've never been a big Soler guy, but there is definitely potential there. Injury concerns with Davis must be real.

They might be able to compete with just Hererra, but man, Hererra + Davis if they both are moderately healthy gets them back to the kind of bullpen that could carry them. They would need Soler to be raring to go, healthy, and step in right away for this to work. It seems like the opposite of the direction I'd be taking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
They might be able to compete with just Hererra, but man, Hererra + Davis if they both are moderately healthy gets them back to the kind of bullpen that could carry them. They would need Soler to be raring to go, healthy, and step in right away for this to work. It seems like the opposite of the direction I'd be taking.

I don't disagree at all, but that seems to be their thought process.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)

Are you implying that the Sox may have dealt Robertson to the Cubs? I'm not so sure that the Sox front office wants to help the Cubs win another WS.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
Are you implying that the Sox may have dealt Robertson to the Cubs? I'm not so sure that the Sox front office wants to help the Cubs win another WS.

Well it might be harder to beat Boston with the rotation they have now.

Maybe KC is gambling they can bring back Greg Holland or a Madson type...save money, and still compete.

They were going to enter the year at $148 million, which was their supposed payroll max. Subtracting Davis and Dyson and getting a bit cheaper makes some degree of sense...but not gutting their chances of getting back to the playoffs completely. Soler gives them a much bigger bat than Dyson/Orlando.

The deal for Soria and injuries killed them last year, not to mention their pitching just wasn't good enough. Ventura and Volquez went backwards, Kennedy was close to solid but faded a bit and Young/Medlen were disasters. They lost two solid bp guys in Madson/Blanton and Strahm was the only pleasant surprise to emerge. Same with Cuthbert on the offensive side.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to decide if getting immediate players back (like Soler) is better than gambling on QO's and even lower draft compensation compared to past years. It would have seemed that they were forced to go for it....even without the money to replace Morales, which they partially freed up trading Davis and now Dyson theoretically. Stripping Dyson away seriously hinders their ability to manufacture a run with a PR late unless thry keep that spot for Gore, but that's only the kind of thing you can do with a 26 man roster. Beyond all that, Hosmer and Gordon were disappointing and Cain battled injuries all season long, with Perez. Mondesi couldn't hit. And Lots of extra games in 2014-15. Not unlike the 2006 White Sox wearing down.

Edited by caulfield12