Reclamation projects to buy/claim/flip....

caulfield12

Jose Bautista (depending on money and has to be a one year deal)

Pedro Alvarez

Wellington Castillo (not sure about his pitch framing)

Ryan Hanigan

Jarrod Dyson

Chris Carter

Boone Logan (especially if Jennings is traded)

Greg Holland (depending on money)

Derek Holland

Doug Fister

Robbie Ray

Colby Lewis

Yasiel Puig (well, just because)

Chase Utley

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:29 AM)
Tyson Ross

Morneau if he doesn't get any suitors/wants to continue his rehab

Matt Albers

Ross was demanding 10 mill... if he goes to us he will need to come down.

How about Chris colabello?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
Why can't we pay him $10M. We'll have plenty of financial flexibity to add a piece or two like him.

I guess it just makes me gag to have 2/5ths of our rotation and 40% of our budget be the great San Diego padres rotation.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
Why can't we pay him $10M. We'll have plenty of financial flexibity to add a piece or two like him.

This. Its perfectly ok overpaying. I really hope we take on some bad expiring contracts if it means a prospect comes along with it (like what the Braves have done).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:43 AM)
I guess it just makes me gag to have 2/5ths of our rotation and 40% of our budget be the great San Diego padres rotation.

I feel ya, but if Ross regains form he can be an incredibly valuable trade chip. And honestly, if the Sox were smart, they'd sell players like this on their ability to keep pitchers healthy and productive. Whether it's Ross or someone else, we should be able to convince a guy or two that we can offer them an environment that other teams can't.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

They can't go with both Smith and Narvaez when they're breaking in Fulmer, Burdi, Giolito and Lopez.

They'll need at least one veteran "mentor" type...as there's almost zero likelihood either of those guys are capable of taking 75-80% of the playing time offensively, and in this case defense is even more important to protect the young pitchers' confidence.

I'd definitely look into buying low on Kevin Plawecki. His bat has been horrific at the major league level, but he hit pretty well in an extended stint at AAA last year. More importantly, I think he can be an average defender and a very good framer. Not sure what they'd be looking for, but he'd make a lot of sense for us in a rebuilding season IMO.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
I agree. We have financial flexibility and he wouldn't cost a lot. Cubs pitchers liked throwing to him and I think he was a positive mentor towards Contreras (who still needs work himself).

He's top 5 in pitch framing last season.