2018 free agency

ron883

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
Is this the year the white sox give a monster contract to a free agent? They will have so much freer up money by then. Prospects will be developing. Manny machado please?

The White Sox have to prove they are a desirable franchise to work/play for before they start throwing contracts around again. Culture is more than being competitive, and they've made great strides this week in showing they have a vision and a mission, now they have to show they have the values that align with top tier talent.

With that said, if they show he ability to develop players and build a strong pipeline of talent, the top free agents will at least listen to the White Sox when they call. Depending on need, Manny Machado would be a great first big contract to land if they want to contend in 2019.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
No. Wrong franchise. I'm not even sure the Cubs will pay for 2018 free agents. They'll likely pay their own guys (Bryant, Rizzo, etc), but smart money is against paying mega-contracts.

Why do you bring up the Cubs in literally every thread? Their free agency plans have no bearing on ours.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
No. Wrong franchise. I'm not even sure the Cubs will pay for 2018 free agents. They'll likely pay their own guys (Bryant, Rizzo, etc), but smart money is against paying mega-contracts.

If i'm Rick Hahn and I have a legit shot at signing Machado or Harper I am on that 100 times out of 100.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)
If i'm Rick Hahn and I have a legit shot at signing Machado or Harper I am on that 100 times out of 100.

If I'm Jerry Reinsdorf and I'm negotiating a multi-hundred million TV deal and I can instantly buy interest in my team by signing a superstar free agent then I'm going to my best to land such a player.

I do think the Sox will spend a ton of money in 2018 (hello new TV contract), but I bet it will be more on "2nd tier" guys like AJ Pollock, Charlie Blackmon, Garrett Richards, Patrick Corbin, one of two of those guys who are still really good players, but aren't going to be the superstars getting $200M+ deals. Or just simply offering extensions to our young core early like they did with Sale, Q, Eaton, Jones.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)

Agreed.

In 2018, if I'm Hahn and my stockpiled arms are turning into a formidable rotation, Anderson, Moncada and Collins are blossoming and the OF prospects are holding the fort down the oldest core piece would be Rodon at the ripe age of 25. They don't even have to be All-Star caliber yet, but approaching it.

Machado and Harper will be 26. I'm pushing like hell to get one of (if not) both of them to push the team over the brink. Assuming the Sox don't dish out big contracts in the next few years, only Rodon's contact situation will be worrisome.

We are talking about going into the 2018 season right? After a 100 loss 2017 season, where the Sox are still trying to figure out pieces - which will work and which will not? Maybe something that would be reasonable, but 10/$400 for Harper is out of the question, as is 8/$240 for Machado, though that latter is preferable.

Also, if Machado hits free agency and signs elsewhere, I'll eat a hat. Any kind of hat. If they gave $150 million to Davis, losing the actual face of their franchise in Machado would ruin them. He'll be in Baltimore for a while.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:09 AM)
I do think the Sox will spend a ton of money in 2018 (hello new TV contract), but I bet it will be more on "2nd tier" guys like AJ Pollock, Charlie Blackmon, Garrett Richards, Patrick Corbin, one of two of those guys who are still really good players, but aren't going to be the superstars getting $200M+ deals. Or just simply offering extensions to our young core early like they did with Sale, Q, Eaton, Jones.

A "ton?" I bet the buy low on a bunch of guys. They don't spend a ton in 2018. If they spend a ton in 2018, then I hate both the Eaton and Sale moves.

They know what they're doing, or at least I am assuming they do at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:31 AM)
A "ton?" I bet the buy low on a bunch of guys. They don't spend a ton in 2018. If they spend a ton in 2018, then I hate both the Eaton and Sale moves.

They know what they're doing, or at least I am assuming they do at this point.

This thread is talking about the 2018 FA class, which means going in to the 2019 season, not the 2018 like you mentioned in the comment before this one.

1) After the White Sox lose over 100 games during the 2017+2018 seasons, what free agent is going to want to play for the White Sox? The only way that happens is if the White Sox overpay for some players. Under JR that 's not going to happen. Hopefully the White Sox will have new ownership by then.

2) I talked to a friend of mine who knows alot about tax laws. I thought that JR wouldn't sell the team now because of taxes. My friend told me that the tax laws have changed and the taxes wouldn't be any different if he sold the team now rather than after he passes away. Maybe JR sells the team before he passes away and doesn't want his family to have the tax burden later.

3) When JR bought the team in 1981 he bought a team from Bill Veeck that didn't have any big time contracts on it. I read somewhere that there are no big contracts on this team going into the 2018 season. That should make it easier and more attractive for a new buyer/owner.

4) These next 2 seasons are going to be a total train wreck. This will probably turn out to be some of the darkest years in the franchise history. My only hope is that we get a new ownership to buy the team.

Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:29 AM)
We are talking about going into the 2018 season right? After a 100 loss 2017 season, where the Sox are still trying to figure out pieces - which will work and which will not? Maybe something that would be reasonable, but 10/$400 for Harper is out of the question, as is 8/$240 for Machado, though that latter is preferable.

Also, if Machado hits free agency and signs elsewhere, I'll eat a hat. Any kind of hat. If they gave $150 million to Davis, losing the actual face of their franchise in Machado would ruin them. He'll be in Baltimore for a while.

2018 will probably be the worst year of the rebuild, as the players we are bringing in will start getting to the majors for the most part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
2018 will probably be the worst year of the rebuild, as the players we are bringing in will start getting to the majors for the most part.

Too soon to evaluate where we are at in the rebuild two seasons in. Our payroll will be very low and we will have money to spend, but I am always leery of the mega contract guys. Far too often it ends up not being worth it.

We need to tank for top draft picks and rebuild through a mix of trades, drafting, free agency, and player development. I'd be willing to pay for a few bats, but idk how realistic Harper or Machado is

If Moncada and several of the pitchers are hitting the bigs during the 2018 season, then they're sophomores during 2019. That makes the offseason after the 2019 offseason a good time to target candidates to fill roles - if you don't have someone to play some position at AA in your system by that point, then that position is a spot where you need someone on your next competitive team. If you're sitting there with no obvious LF, you do not hurt yourself by buying a LF.

You may not need that huge price player in year 1, but you also set yourself up so that if everything goes right, you might be able to make a playoff run. What is different from saying about that team "If everything goes right they make the playoffs" from when you said that about the 2015 and 2016 White Sox? If things go wrong, if 1-2 guys struggle, then you have a good answer to how your team gets substantially better and is unstoppable in 2020.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
Did Lester have an issue signing with the rebuilding cubs? For a mega contract, Machado to would come here to be the Lester of our white sox imo. 9 years 270m, possibly frontloaded. Sox will have so much payroll.

A lot depends on if Anderson and Rodon take the next step.

Giolito, Lopez and Moncada will need to be progressing along nicely and Collins ready to go.

Tall order, but if the framework of a contender is there I can see Machado or Harper being interested.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
Did Lester have an issue signing with the rebuilding cubs? For a mega contract, Machado to would come here to be the Lester of our white sox imo. 9 years 270m, possibly frontloaded. Sox will have so much payroll.

I want to say the Cubs added an extra year and was $20 million higher than than the next best offer on Lester.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
I want to say the Cubs added an extra year and was $20 million higher than than the next best offer on Lester.

I don't care if you win 40 games in 2018, if you put up enough money then these guys will be "Interested".

I fully expect Hahn and company to be "in" on the big time free agents in 2018. How far "in" is open to interpretation, but with the minuscule payroll and the probable need/want to add a huge player to the organization during what should be the end of a rebuild, I can't imagine we won't hear grumblings about the Sox being in on these top players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
Which won't happen.

I totally agree we will not be in on Harper. The matchup with the Yankees is too perfect.

Beyond that, I'd be skeptical that we'd be in on Machado, but we'll have the payroll space to do it if we don't do something stupid first. But that class is not just 2 players. Donaldson. McCutchen. Brantley. Pollock. And that's assuming we don't go after the pitchers, who include guys named Kershaw and Harvey.