White Sox sign Derek Holland

southsider2k5

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Type of move a rebuilding club should do. See if we can turn him into something we can leverage for more assets.

Yep. No one should really hate this signing.

Quintana, Rodon, Gonzalez, Holland, Shields as of right now. Fulmer, Giolito and Lopez in AAA.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)

Decent low risk signing on a 1 year deal I'm sure

We need bodies to eat innings, and if he does well we could deal him at the deadline

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Not if they consider Covey to be a starter.

I bet Rodon/Gonzalez/Holland/Shields/Covey is the rotation we'll be looking at most of 2017.

I don't think they are counting on him breaking camp with that guy as a starter. You can't really guarantee a guy who's never pitched above AA any spot You bring him to Spring Training and see if he can stick.

But yes, Quintana will probably be next. But this signing I wouldn't say makes it definitive.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't think they are counting on him breaking camp with that guy as a starter. You can't really guarantee a guy who's never pitched above AA any spot You bring him to Spring Training and see if he can stick.

But yes, Quintana will probably be next. But this signing I wouldn't say makes it definitive.

Covey is an option at starting pitcher, but more likely he ends up in the pen

Hate to say it, but who really even cares?

After dealing Robertson, Frazier (possibly), Quintana, etc. we are on track to win 60 games at best in 2017...which I am totally ok with as it sets us up for a top 3 draft pick

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Covey is an option at starting pitcher, but more likely he ends up in the pen

Hate to say it, but who really even cares?

After dealing Robertson, Frazier (possibly), Quintana, etc. we are on track to win 60 games at best in 2017...which I am totally ok with as it sets us up for a top 3 draft pick

I don't care who starts. I'm just saying this signing isn't a definitive "Q is obviously gone next" move. Just like Robertson not being listed for Soxfest isn't a guarantee he won't be here (as he wasn't last year either apparently).

Edited by soxfan2014

I tend to think he's toast, but worth a shot I suppose. His average fastball velocity went from 93/94 to 90 over the past 3 or 4 seasons so Coop is really gonna teach him how to pitch or it's going to more of the same. Again, worth a shot, just not the reclamation project I personally would have chosen.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
I tend to think he's toast, but worth a shot I suppose. His average fastball velocity went from 93/94 to 90 over the past 3 or 4 seasons so Coop is really gonna teach him how to pitch or it's going to more of the same. Again, worth a shot, just not the reclamation project I personally would have chosen.

Out of curiosity, who would you have signed?

I like it. I have always been a fan of Holland. He was fun to watch pitch a few years back. Don't love that he is such a flyball pitcher, but its a solid move for the backend of the rotation.

I hate to say it because I know I will get crucified - but the Sox are currently constructed could still play .500 ball. Could is the key word. I expect further moves, but right now the lineup and rotation isn't awful.

Add a decent DH like Alvarez or Morneau and the team could be interesting without further subtractions.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)

Not very many decent options out there for reclamation

Tyson Ross likely wants to go to a contender

Doug Fister possibly to eat innings?

Holland could rebuild some value with a solid season?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
I like it. I have always been a fan of Holland. He was fun to watch pitch a few years back. Don't love that he is such a flyball pitcher, but its a solid move for the backend of the rotation.

I hate to say it because I know I will get crucified - but the Sox are currently constructed could still play .500 ball. Could is the key word. I expect further moves, but right now the lineup and rotation isn't awful.

Add a decent DH like Alvarez or Morneau and the team could be interesting without further subtractions.

How are we built to play .500 baseball?

We will be lucky to win 65 or 70 games in 2017

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)

I know what you're saying. We're bad but by no means one of the worst teams. I still hope they move Quintana, Frazier, and then Robertson or Melky (has he been linked to anyone? Maybe a fit in Baltimore or San Fran?). Maybe call the Dodgers up and see if they want a cheap 2B (Lawrie).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
I know what you're saying. We're bad but by no means one of the worst teams. I still hope they move Quintana, Frazier, and then Robertson or Melky (has he been linked to anyone? Maybe a fit in Baltimore or San Fran?). Maybe call the Dodgers up and see if they want a cheap 2B (Lawrie).

We had the 5th worst record in the American League in 2016

If we trade Quintana + others we can pencil ourselves in for 60-65 wins at best and we would be one of the worst teams in baseball

A rotation of Rodon/Gonzalez/Shields/Holland/Covey/Beck/Crappy FA signing = 60 wins

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Not very many decent options out there for reclamation

Tyson Ross likely wants to go to a contender

Doug Fister possibly to eat innings?

Holland could rebuild some value with a solid season?

Yeah I didn't really put much thought into it, was just more stating that I don't think much of Holland at this point. Seems like a very similar situation to Danks, the shoulder just isn't the same and he can't get by with an 88/89 mph fastball.

Now that I'm looking at the list though, you're right, there really isn't much else. Aside from Ross or Fister I'd be fairly interested to see if Coop could turn Jhoulys Chacin into anything. He's always had a fairly intriguing arm and is still somehow under 30. Do Kris Medlen or Brett Anderson still have arms attached and are they capable of pitching anymore lol? Seems like the answer is no, but they are about the only other names out there that are even a little interesting

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
How are we built to play .500 baseball?

We will be lucky to win 65 or 70 games in 2017

To be fair, I said COULD play .500 ball. Sox won 78 games last year and pretty much everyone besides Sale, Eaton, Q and Melky underperformed.

A lineup of:

Anderson - SS

Melky - LF

Abreu - 1B

Frazier - 3B

Alvarez / Morneau - DH

Lawrie - 2B

Rasmus - CF

Liriano / Avi - RF

Narvaez / Some FA - C

I think Alvarez / Morneau could be had pretty cheap. Could probably get Rasmus on a one year deal around $8-$10M. That lineup isn't great, but its also not awful. You have Moncada who could come up a take Lawrie's spot when he gets hurt.

Look, I don't think that team will compete, but its also not completely crazy to think that team could be within 5 games of .500 by mid June. Have Giolito, Lopez and Fulmer in AAA waiting for a shot in the rotation.

I fully expect (and hope) to the Sox to make further moves to make this all moot, but right now, the core of .500ish team is still there. Let's not forget that the Sox have tried to win for pretty much 2 decades straight. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a lineup like this on opening day. You can still trade guys like Frazier, Melky, Lawrie, Robertson mid-season, and guys like Q and Abreu next offseason. If you're not getting something useful for the impending FAs now, may as well hold and see what happens.