If we bring back this team can we win it?

greg775

If we brought back the same team and moved up some of our minor leaguers

like Miles and Reed and Borchard and played Rowand, could we win the pennant next

year?

Would we assume E-Lo, Mark B, Colon and Jon would be a killer foursome?

Would these players win next year with a new manager or would we continue

to be .500ish or worse?

I am just wondering if we'd be better off tinkering than wholesale changing.

Remember we are gonna have a new skipper and maybe a better one.

If we brought back the same team and moved up some of our minor leaguers

like Miles and Reed and Borchard and played Rowand, could we win the pennant next

year?

Would we assume E-Lo, Mark B, Colon and Jon would be a killer foursome?

Would these players win next year with a new manager or would we continue

to be .500ish or worse?

I am just wondering if we'd be better off tinkering than wholesale changing.

Remember we are gonna have a new skipper and maybe a better one.

This team I believe would go through a similar season..... Hitting Slumps...Bullpen Blow-ups.....I think that this team needs to be "Re-tooled" not totally Blown-up... Lose the chub and keep the filet mignon....

The problem is no one wants the chub

I mean seriously, no one is going to take Koch off our hands (and that is 6mill of our very small payroll)

Also, given the year he had, I bet we cannot re-sign Gordon.....he may land up in New York who need relief pitching, and they have the money to throw at him, not to mention they love to have proven veterans

Our #1 target should be re-signing Colon.

And the #2 priority should be re-signing Robbie

And the # 3 priority should be to figure out how to get Koch's velocity back. Whether it is rest or conditioning or surgery or whatever......with the salary we will be paying him, HE HAS TO PRODUCE NEXT YEAR

We should sit down with Frank and let him know we lan to contend next year, which means try and coax him into exercising his 6 mill option rather than have to exercise the Sox 8 mill option. That 2 mill savingscan help re-sign Robbie if nothing else.

Obviously, we pick up the option on Loaiza.

Obviously, we keep Lee through arbitration.

Danny Wright should be used as relief next year. Which means we have Marte, Koch, Sullivan, and Danny as a strong pen, with hopefully Gordon as our closer, if we can re-sign him.

Other than that, we can let Everett go, and get someone like a Kenny Lofton who is available.....I said it in the middle of the season, Kenny is not that bad. He always produces in the clutch down the stretch, and we need some clutch in our line up. Now I know he had issues with us the first time, but he is proven in my opinion.

He always produces in the clutch down the stretch, and we need some clutch in our line up. Now I know he had issues with us the first time, but he is proven in my opinion.

Exactly. He's proven in the CLUTCH..... i.e. playoffs. f*** him. We don't need a piece of s*** that is going to give up if we're 5 games back come June. Lofton only plays when there is something to play for. Just look back at 2002.

This team definitely needs to be retooled. As I said last off season, we have to break up the all right handed lineup. Lee, Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko, Crede .... that is just too many RH everyday hitters jammed into 6 spots in tyhe lineup, with only Valentin to break them up between Konerko and Crede.

Exactly. He's proven in the CLUTCH..... i.e. playoffs. f*** him. We don't need a piece of s*** that is going to give up if we're 5 games back come June. Lofton only plays when there is something to play for. Just look back at 2002.

Sorry guys Lofton has NOT been clutch in the playoffs. He has hit .237 over 13 post seasons. He has only hit .300 twice in 13 years in the post season. In other words he would fit right in with these guys... :bang

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/loftoke01.shtml

The problem is no one wants the chub

I mean seriously, no one is going to take Koch off our hands (and that is 6mill of our very small payroll)

Also, given the year he had, I bet we cannot re-sign Gordon.....he may land up in New York who need relief pitching, and they have the money to throw at him, not to mention they love to have proven veterans

Our #1 target should be re-signing Colon.

And the #2 priority should be re-signing Robbie

And the # 3 priority should be to figure out how to get Koch's velocity back. Whether it is rest or conditioning or surgery or whatever......with the salary we will be paying him, HE HAS TO PRODUCE NEXT YEAR

We should sit down with Frank and let him know we lan to contend next year, which means try and coax him into exercising his 6 mill option rather than have to exercise the Sox 8 mill option. That 2 mill savingscan help re-sign Robbie if nothing else.

Obviously, we pick up the option on Loaiza.

Obviously, we keep Lee through arbitration.

Danny Wright should be used as relief next year. Which means we have Marte, Koch, Sullivan, and Danny as a strong pen, with hopefully Gordon as our closer, if we can re-sign him.

Other than that, we can let Everett go, and get someone like a Kenny Lofton who is available.....I said it in the middle of the season, Kenny is not that bad. He always produces in the clutch down the stretch, and we need some clutch in our line up. Now I know he had issues with us the first time, but he is proven in my opinion.

Tom Gordon won't be back with da Sox next year unless Koch gets shipped out of town. The way he's pitched this year, he's gonna earn big money closing for some other team e.g Philly, Colorado, Yanks etc.

We should really model our team like da Twins, guy who can get on base and hit for good average, and not guys who just hit for power e.g Jose "Please let me get 26 AB's to feed my family" Valentin. That's why I want Eckstein in at SS next year. I think he'll rebound after his so-so year this year.

I only want Colon back if we aren't goin into major rebuilding mode. There's no point in paying a guy $10Mil every year even if he is that good and of course JR will go into cost cutting mode.

Loaiza will be back, he's just tired after a long season, but I think he'll only win bout 10 to 15 games next year.

Wright definitely in da pen with Marte (resign this guy no matter what), Sully, Schoewenweis etc.

Carl Everett even though we all luv his determination won't be back, and it's about time Rowand got a chance to win da starting spot as long as he doesn't hav a dirt bike accident again in da off season.

Sorry guys Lofton has NOT been clutch in the playoffs. He has hit .237 over 13 post seasons.  He has only hit .300 twice in 13 years in the post season.  In other words he would fit right in with these guys... :bang

Thank You!!!

I was just going to post the exact same thing - Lofton has had ONE good LCS and ONE good WS in his career, with a LOT of chances in postseason play.

He is NOT a long-term solution, or even a short-term one.

I'd actually prefer Dorn over Lofton.

Wish Dorn could find a consistent stroke - he is MONEY with the glove.

To answer the original question, I agree with the general consensus - this team in too reliant on the long ball to win consistenly, in my opinion. Gotta get a SS who can get on base and shake things up. More offense from behind the plate would be nice. People playing an ENTIRE season would also help.

My guess about pitching? Colon goes, Loaiza has a solid season but not as many wins ( 13-16 is my guess ), Garland improves a bit ( same range as Esteban ) and the Sox try to fill the hole left by Colon ( pretty BIG hole :) ) with another reclamation project.

My hopes are NOT high for next year, unfortunately, since I think it's pretty much a lock that JR will cut payroll and try to shove more kids down our throats, since going "veteran" did not get it done this year.

Sorry guys Lofton has NOT been clutch in the playoffs. He has hit .237 over 13 post seasons.  He has only hit .300 twice in 13 years in the post season.  In other words he would fit right in with these guys... :bang

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/loftoke01.shtml

Oops. I meant playing FOR the playoffs. I knew he blew IN the playoffs. My mistake. I was kind of crunked last night. SF, MIN, and the Cubs winning will do that to me :drink

Dorn has shown some promise since coming back from AAA. IF Aaron can produce every day the way he has shown with his new stroke I will gladly watch him patrol CF minus Carl Everett. Paul Konerko is a HUGE rally killer, I just want him gone. Kenny Lofton only hits in April and September and he ain't getting younger.

I say we bring back Alomars, Colon, and maybe Everett as a DH or corner OF substitute. At the same time we put Frank at 1B with Daubach getting some regular PT in there as well. If things look bad, I say we can always sell Colon to the Yankees and probably not lose much money on the deal. This team is worth taking a chance on.

Problem is that if we re-sign Alomar and Colon, this is a $75M payroll team. And that just ain't going to fly.

On the other hand, if we DON'T bring back the team as is, this is an 80 win team at best. And that's not going to be good enough to compete with the Twins and probably Royals.

Blow it up.

Trade Maggs for Nick Johnson (or some other equivalent young and cheap stud who is going to be here for 4 years).

See if someone will give you two ready-for-the-majors pitching prospects for Buehrle (who has seen his numbers drop every year, and who is approaching the Jamesian 4.5 K/9 cliff) and Konerko. St. Louis comes to mind--I wouldn't mind Jimmy Journell and Rhett Parrot.

Float Loaiza and see if you can get pitching prospects or middle infield prospects. There's no reason to pay him $3M if this is a 70 win team.

Given that Lee is an UFA in 2005, offer him a $20M/3 yr extension. If he turns that down, call the Cubs and see if they'll exchange left fielders and give you Cruz in the exchange.

I want to see Reed and Rowand in the outfield next year. I want to commit to a minimum of 15 starts each for Cotts, Marte, Pacheco, Rauch, the pitching prospects you get for Buehrle/Maggs/Lee/Loaiza, and even Honel if he's strong in B'ham.

Most of all, I want this to be a $30M payroll team in 2005 so that if the pitchers and Reed/Rowand/Borchard DO work out, Williams can go out and get that bat that makes this a very, very good team.

Problem is that if we re-sign Alomar and Colon, this is a $75M payroll team.  And that just ain't going to fly.

On the other hand, if we DON'T bring back the team as is, this is an 80 win team at best.  And that's not going to be good enough to compete with the Twins and probably Royals.

Blow it up.

Trade Maggs for Nick Johnson (or some other equivalent young and cheap stud who is going to be here for 4 years).

See if someone will give you two ready-for-the-majors pitching prospects for Buehrle (who has seen his numbers drop every year, and who is approaching the Jamesian 4.5 K/9 cliff) and Konerko.  St. Louis comes to mind--I wouldn't mind Jimmy Journell and Rhett Parrot.

Float Loaiza and see if you can get pitching prospects or middle infield prospects.  There's no reason to pay him $3M if this is a 70 win team.

Given that Lee is an UFA in 2005, offer him a $20M/3 yr extension.  If he turns that down, call the Cubs and see if they'll exchange left fielders and give you Cruz in the exchange.

I want to see Reed and Rowand in the outfield next year.  I want to commit to a minimum of 15 starts each for Cotts, Marte, Pacheco, Rauch, the pitching prospects you get for Buehrle/Maggs/Lee/Loaiza, and even Honel if he's strong in B'ham.

Most of all, I want this to be a $30M payroll team in 2005 so that if the pitchers and Reed/Rowand/Borchard DO work out, Williams can go out and get that bat that makes this a very, very good team.

You're the second person who I have seen say Marte could start. Could he do it? I like him in the bullpen. Rauch was supposed to be a stud, he was the number 5 starter going into 2002. I know he was hurt this year, but what has happen to him?

Problem is that if we re-sign Alomar and Colon, this is a $75M payroll team.  And that just ain't going to fly.

On the other hand, if we DON'T bring back the team as is, this is an 80 win team at best.  And that's not going to be good enough to compete with the Twins and probably Royals.

Blow it up.

See if someone will give you two ready-for-the-majors pitching prospects for Buehrle (who has seen his numbers drop every year, and who is approaching the Jamesian 4.5 K/9 cliff) and Konerko.  St. Louis comes to mind--I wouldn't mind Jimmy Journell and Rhett Parrot.

Float Loaiza and see if you can get pitching prospects or middle infield prospects.  There's no reason to pay him $3M if this is a 70 win team.

Given that Lee is an UFA in 2005, offer him a $20M/3 yr extension.  If he turns that down, call the Cubs and see if they'll exchange left fielders and give you Cruz in the exchange.

I want to see Reed and Rowand in the outfield next year.  I want to commit to a minimum of 15 starts each for Cotts, Marte, Pacheco, Rauch, the pitching prospects you get for Buehrle/Maggs/Lee/Loaiza, and even Honel if he's strong in B'ham.

Good ideas all, but if we did that, you might as well contract this team, because no one will ever come back to the ballpark. I would be willing to bet that attendance would fall in half in the first year, and if there weren't good results quickly, it would be under 10K per night. This team was just starting to recapture some of the pre 1994 attendance. If this team is a throwaway in 2004, the White Sox might as well move because no one in Chicago is going to go.

Blow it up.

Wow....now that is Some RADICAL changes you want to make!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the shopping Magglio and Konerko part of your solution because as was previously posted in this thread the slew of Right Handed Power Hitters must be broken up!!!!

Keep Lee if it is through arbitration or contract I dont care, he has proven to be the most clutch of the HR heroes on this team!

Jose Valentin's Heart and will to win does NOT make up for all his inadequacies; (His Glove, His approach from the left side, Inability to hit from the right side, etc.)

They sheek keep Aaron Rowand and see what he can do if he plays everyday, because in limited time he has looked great.

I would rather try to resign Jurassic then see the sox keep all those slow right handers

Pitching is a whole other issue that I dont even feel like talking about right now...lol

Good ideas all, but if we did that, you might as well contract this team, because no one will ever come back to the ballpark. I would be willing to bet that attendance would fall in half in the first year, and if there weren't good results quickly, it would be under 10K per night. This team was just starting to recapture some of the pre 1994 attendance. If this team is a throwaway in 2004, the White Sox might as well move because no one in Chicago is going to go.

They're going to have to take the bullet some time, given that the farm system isn't strong enough to reload and Reinsdorf is too cheap to acquire the veteran talent needed to make the transition seamless--and quite frankly, I don't trust Williams to make the right additions.

The team is at a crossroads right now. They can either hold on to what they have and watch Thomas, Val and Konerko (and probably Buehrle) steadily decline, and Ordonez and Loaiza leave, and see the feasible win total drop from 92 to 89 to 85 to 80 games, or they can bite the bullet and get developed talent back for their players right now. They can't wait. After 2004, Maggs, Lee, and probably Loaiza are gone. Buehrle and Garland are two years from leaving--and they're expensive at that. There's no one in the system to replace the hitters, and we all know the success of pitching prospects.

In other words, the Sox are the Baltimore Orioles--but without the nice stadium, and with stiff intracity competition. You think a developing year in 2004 will be worse for attendance than a 2006 and beyond team that is hopelessly bad with no foreseeable likelihood to get better? I take my lumps next year. The team's not in a bad position, except for the lack of any middle infield help in the organization. They could build around pitching, outfielders, and then augment with free agent middle infielders (which they could afford to do if they clear out the salaries).

Blow. It. Up.

You're the second person who I have seen say Marte could start. Could he do it? I like him in the bullpen. Rauch was supposed to be a stud, he was the number 5 starter going into 2002. I know he was hurt this year, but what has happen to him?

Marte started in the minors--I think given the proper conditioning, he could easily move back to that role. And you know what? I think that he not only COULD start, he would probably be one of the top starters in the AL after a year. Even if his numbers decline significantly, he's still a very good 3.00 ERA/1.25 WHIP pitcher.

They're going to have to take the bullet some time, given that the farm system isn't strong enough to reload and Reinsdorf is too cheap to acquire the veteran talent needed to make the transition seamless--and quite frankly, I don't trust Williams to make the right additions.

The team is at a crossroads right now.  They can either hold on to what they have and watch Thomas, Val and Konerko (and probably Buehrle) steadily decline, and Ordonez and Loaiza leave, and see the feasible win total drop from 92 to 89 to 85 to 80 games, or they can bite the bullet and get developed talent back for their players right now.  They can't wait.  After 2004, Maggs, Lee, and probably Loaiza are gone.  Buehrle and Garland are two years from leaving--and they're expensive at that.  There's no one in the system to replace the hitters, and we all know the success of pitching prospects.

In other words, the Sox are the Baltimore Orioles--but without the nice stadium, and with stiff intracity competition.  You think a developing year in 2004 will be worse for attendance than a 2006 and beyond team that is hopelessly bad with no foreseeable likelihood to get better?  I take my lumps next year.  The team's not in a bad position, except for the lack of any middle infield help in the organization.  They could build around pitching, outfielders, and then augment with free agent middle infielders (which they could afford to do if they clear out the salaries).

Blow.  It.  Up.

The result isn't what I was going for. It would be the distrust of the Sox organization that already exsists hitting the boiling poin. A lot of people are just getting over the slights of the strike, the White Flag trade, key players getting slighted etc. People just won't come back.

The result isn't what I was going for. It would be the distrust of the Sox organization that already exsists hitting the boiling poin. A lot of people are just getting over the slights of the strike, the White Flag trade, key players getting slighted etc. People just won't come back.

And what I was saying is that I think the long term attendance outlook is better if they blow the team up, take the hit in 2004, and have a chance at success in 2005 and beyond, than if they try to cobble the same team together and gradually get worse each and every year until 2006 or so, when they are an old, expensive 70-75 win team with a bad farm system (i.e., the Orioles).

If they try to keep this team together, there is a 25% or so chance at making the playoffs in 2004, and then you'll see the same departures--but getting back draft picks, rather than ready-for-the-majors players.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what i think the team should do. The movement from being 2 up to out of it was so fast, it is still like, what the hell just happened.

And I can't decide if I want to see any of these players back next year and I simply do not know what the best route is. I can't pretend to suggest anything.

And thus I am reading the exchange of opinions here with interest because I am looking for something that makes sense - and nothing has clicked in yet on any alternative.

All I know for sure is as much as I appreciate the good JM has done and am always sad to see anyone lose a job, espeically a manager who took us to a division title, it is time for him to go.

Not sure if anything I'm going to say was suggested, but I'm gonna say it none the less.

Supposedly, with last year being the last years of both Richie Sexson's and Geoff Jenkins contracts, the Brewers have put them on the trade block. What I'm about to suggest may be crazy, but it may just work.

What I think I'd atleast try to do is do an "Our-problem for your-problem" type of deal, only this time, both would benefit because we'd be trading good players. The problem for both teams is that a lot of money is guaranteed to the players they are giving up in the trades. IIRC, Jenkins is due to make about $13 mill this year, and Konerko is due $8 mill per over the next two years. What I think could be interesting is to see if we couldn't trade Koney and a minor leaguer for Jenkins straight up. That not only takes care of Koney's salary for 2005, but also makes our lineup a little less RH. But we'd then have a lineup that includes two guys making double digit millions of dollars. What I suggest we'd do then is kind of drastic, but I'm not the first to suggest it. We then trade Maggs for some very good talent(possibly to a team that has some good relievers, a decent player or two in the majors, and a few good prospects). The thought that instantly comes to mind is LA....great relievers, great starting pitching staff, and they have that Izturis kid who can really play some rock solid defense. Now I realize that getting a starting pitcher from them wouldn't be a great idea, but getting Mota and Shuey/Quantrill wouldn't hurt. I personally think they'd take a Maggs for Mota, Shuey/Quantrill, and Izturis deal and wouldn't even think about it.....and maybe we could sneak a prospect or two from them as well(as long as Barry-Berry doesn't occur). That then leaves us without a 1Bman, which then brings me to my next thought....bring Daubach back. Sure he's slow, but he did put up some pretty good numbers in Boston, and though he is streaky, you know what kind of numbers you will get from him....probably .260 25 80 type seasons....though I believe he has driven in 100 runs like 2 or 3 times. Does not free up a ton of money and we aren't in the rebuilding process, but does give us another $6 mill or so to use to bring back Robbie at the very least. And Javy Vazquez will also be available because the players voted not to split the games in between Montreal and San Juan, so maybe we could do a little highway robbery and get him to replace Bartolo.

Just a few thoughts, mainly just rambling.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what i think the team should do.  The movement from being 2 up to out of it was so fast, it is still like, what the hell just happened. 

And I can't decide if I want to see any of these players back next year and I simply do not know what the best route is.  I can't pretend to suggest anything.   

And thus I am reading the exchange of opinions here with interest because I am looking for something that makes sense - and nothing has clicked in yet on any alternative.

All I know for sure is as much as I appreciate the good JM has done and am always sad to see anyone lose a job, espeically a manager who took us to a division title, it is time for him to go.

I'm with you. I don't have a clue as to what the Sox should do. At least, not yet. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. I keep looking at Renteria and Drew in St. Louis. Seems we should be able to build some type of deal that could net those two for us. I guess it depends on who we can re-sign. I'd love a Renteria/Alomar DP combo. With Crede at third, that would be a helluva infield defense.

I don't think Marte needs to become a starter. He's our best guy out of da bullpen and when ur r on a good thing u don't change it. If he starts, our Bullpen becomes our Biggest Weakness. Paulie needs to be shipped for anything that's financially viable. There'll be a market for him in the off - season for teams such as the Dodgers and even possibly the Cubs. I'd giv Daubach a chance to start, and see if he can put up his Boston numbers. Gotta feeling that if Colon doesn't come back, we'll invite some old guys to spring training and Don Cooper will try to make a Loaiza out of em.

I don't think Marte needs to become a starter. He's our best guy out of da bullpen and when ur r on a good thing u don't change it. If he starts, our Bullpen becomes our Biggest Weakness. Paulie needs to be shipped for anything that's financially viable. There'll be a market for him in the off - season for teams such as the Dodgers and even possibly the Cubs. I'd giv Daubach a chance to start, and see if he can put up his Boston numbers. Gotta feeling that if Colon doesn't come back, we'll invite some old guys to spring training and Don Cooper will try to make a Loaiza out of em.

I agree with you on Marte and Konerko. I hope we don't bank on finding another Loaiza from the flotsam of those available on a minor league contract. Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. (It's a cliche. I know it's not true.)

That then leaves us without a 1Bman, which then brings me to my next thought....bring Daubach back.  Sure he's slow, but he did put up some pretty good numbers in Boston, and though he is streaky, you know what kind of numbers you will get from him....probably .260 25 80 type seasons....though I believe he has driven in 100 runs like 2 or 3 times.

Daubach never drove in more than 78 runs at Boston, he had four years ranging between 73 and 78.

I'd keep Colon if at all possible. I wouldn't blow it up yet...We drew 1.94 million this year, and we will be a long time away from that if white flag right now. We can wait until mid 2004 to trade Magglio, there'll be plenty of interest. I would definitely move Paulie for salary reasons, and if Frank stays, fine, if he goes, fine.

But if we can't keep Colon, and we don't come up with a major league replacement, we're through. Loiaza will drop to about 15 games next year, and Garland is Garland.