If we bring back this team can we win it?

greg775

This team with the core players has been a .500 () team for 3 1/2 years now. Of course, I think alot of that has to do with the idiots running things. But 3 1/2 years of mediocrity means the players have to shoulder some of the blame. Not all..... just some.

Blow it up. Make trades for minor leaguers and young, up-and-coming talent. The only players I'd like to see back next season are.....

STARTING PITCHERS

ELo

Buehrle

Garland

Colon (but I know this isn't going to happen)

BULLPEN

Marte

Gordon

Wunsch

Schoeneweis (will probably get a shot at starting though with no 5th starter)

POSITION PLAYERS

Olivo

Crede

C Lee

Everett (but I know this isn't going to happen)

Maggs

Rowand

Graffenino

Thomas or Konerko (Organization needs to choose between the two)

Everybody else can take a hike.

However, I am weary of dealing for anyone with the gullible GM we have and KW SHOULD NOT be allowed any dealing with Billy Beane. EVER!

In reality, the payroll should be at least $70 mil, if this year was $55 mil.  Realize that we had a 20% increase in attendance, plus a 20% increase in ticket prices.  There is no reason, other than profit taking for the payroll not to exceed what it was this year.

You are assuming they made a profit or broke even with attendance at this level.

You are assuming they made a profit or broke even with attendance at this level.

We made a profit in 2002. The basis of the assumption is that other operating costs (ie nonpayroll) didn't go up at a rate that is out of whack with inflation (which is near zero right now) If you increase your bottom line with 20% more people, with all people paying 20% more to be there, then we should be able to stomach a 20-25% increase in payroll.

Southsider, attendance only makes up a fraction of the team's revenue.  Assuming it's around 40% or so, a 20% increase is only 8%.

And $70M means no Colon, no Alomar, no Everett.  Which means this is a 82 win team.  And only looking to be worse in 2005, when Maggs and Lee leave.

Blow it up.

But attendance has a direct correlation on most of the other revenues, such as parking, concessions, souveniers, etc...

Well, the last couple of days I have been trying to imagine what I would do if somehow I acquired ownership of the team and had roughly the same budget to work with. Here is what I would do:

First, I would make a commitment to the fans that they are priority #1. I would reduce ticket prices a couple of bucks across the board, and bring back $8-10 bleacher or "cheap" seats and tell them that when this team becomes truly competitive, then it will have earned the right to charge higher rates on tickets. Its probably not financially feasible, but I would consider refunding 2003 season ticket holders a nominal part of their expense, explaining that they never got the product they paid for.

Next, I would make the ballpark experience more fan friendly. I would get rid of goofball scoreboard races and similar fluff and bring back the ballgirls, Nancy Foust "full time", and more "real" promotions like jersey day and glove day. I would provide access to all parts of the park for any ticket holder. Etc., Etc.

After taking these measures to ingratiate myself with the fans again, I would proceed to retool the team. I am afraid high prices favorites like Maggs, Colon, and Everett would have to go. I would make it very clear to the fanbase that it makes more sense to pay 2 mil to a 300-25-90 guy then 12 mil to a 320-30-100 guy. A handful of avg points and home runs are not worth 10 mil and that money would be spread around the roster to make a very effective product top to bottom. I would guarantee that the total salary would be at least equal to the 2003 salary, even if there isn't a $10 million man in it.

Finally, I would replace Manuel with Backman and they new guys I acquire will be strong fundamentally, have some speed, and provide a balance between power and small ball. Most importantly, along with the new manager, they will have a desire to win every game and give 110% every inning, play, at bat, and pitch. The attititude will be one of tenancity in every situation, regardless of the situation. Although a couple superstars might be missing, I think the type of effort and play will be appreciated by the fans and it should translate into W's as well.

This team should be able to eclipse the 2003 win total, and I think if it is done right, could contend.

...now back to my real job :(

I would not blow it up for the simple reason a lot of baseball people

think we had the talent to win the division if not for JM.

I agree we are way too slow.

I'd say trade Paulie in the winter. Some team can claim he just had an off

year and maybe we can get some prospects. Maybe not. He had such

a horrific year.

I say we hire a GREAT manager and sign Guzman at ss.

Keep Frank.

Let Alomar and Everett walk because of money reasons.

2B is a fill in type position. We can find somebody.

Keep all our pitchers; Flash our closer.

That's all we need to do.

A new manager -- if he is a good one, not a Bevington type -- is all we need

with a little tinkering.

If we blow it up, we could be .400 for 10 or more years.

At least now, we have some talent that if formed properly can contend.

I must say that i've never seen a thread with this many essay's posted... It took me 15 minutes just to read this whole thread, and its only 3 pages...

Anyway i like the thoughts of Marte starting, and also definitly trying to get rid of at least one righty out of this lineup... I'm sick of seeing Jose batting right handed, and his .230 average isnt cutting it for me..... but who would we have play shortstop, cause im not sure Graffinino is your everyday guy.... anyway...

This offseason is going to last forever... Im so glad Illinois basketball is starting soon!

:headbang