New BA White Sox Top Ten

bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/viewpoint/r...VWVFZhKWsxKw.97

Man, starting to look good. Soon we may be in place where our 15-20 guys are players like May/Engel that have potential to turn bats around and become major leaguers.

Interesting to see BA's list here. Collins ahead of Kopech, Basabe at #7, and Adams ahead of Dunning are interesting. But more to the point, I don't think I've ever seen a Sox top 10 list look so good.

Man, starting to look good. Soon we may be in place where our 15-20 guys are players like May/Engel that have potential to turn bats around and become major leaguers.

It's crazy to think about what trading Quintana, Frazier, Melky, Robertson could do to our farm system

Getting super hypothetical here: Q to the Rockies for Rodgers, Hoffman and Freeland

Robertson to the Nationals for Pedro Severino and Andrew Stephenson

Frazier and Melky get dealt for ???? Still likely getting a decent return

New Sox System would look like:

1) Moncada

2) Rodgers

3) Giolito

4) Lopez

5) Hoffman

6) Collins

7) Kopech

8) Fulmer

9) Burdi

10) Basabe

11) Freeland

12) Adams

13) Dunning

14) Stephenson

15) Severino

16) Tilson

17) Hansen

18) Engel

19) Fisher

20) Stephens

Fanasty thinking, yes...but wow that would be a deep system

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
It's crazy to think about what trading Quintana, Frazier, Melky, Robertson could do to our farm system

Getting super hypothetical here: Q to the Rockies for Rodgers, Hoffman and Freeland

Robertson to the Nationals for Pedro Severino and Andrew Stephenson

Frazier and Melky get dealt for ???? Still likely getting a decent return

New Sox System would look like:

1) Moncada

2) Rodgers

3) Giolito

4) Lopez

5) Hoffman

6) Collins

7) Kopech

8) Fulmer

9) Burdi

10) Basabe

11) Freeland

12) Adams

13) Dunning

14) Stephenson

15) Severino

16) Tilson

17) Hansen

18) Engel

19) Fisher

20) Stephens

Fanasty thinking, yes...but wow that would be a deep system

Don't forget Jones, who's probably second most valuable after Q.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Interesting to see BA's list here. Collins ahead of Kopech, Basabe at #7, and Adams ahead of Dunning are interesting. But more to the point, I don't think I've ever seen a Sox top 10 list look so good.

I don't agree with Collins being ahead of Kopech at this point. If Collins does well this season I can see him shooting up the MLB top 100 rankings considerably though.

His bat and patience at the plate are legitimate. If Collins can stick at catcher defensively I really feel like he could be a superstar player. I'm very excited about what he has the potential to become.

I just recently did a working Top 30 list, without a ton of research, as a starting point. I figure this is a good moment to post it.

FWIW, I continue to be much lower on Adams than most people...

1 Yoan Moncada

2 Michael Kopech

3 Zack Collins

4 Lucas Giolito

5 Reynaldo Lopez

6 Carson Fulmer

7 Alec Hansen

8 Zack Burdi

9 Luis Alex Basabe

10 Jordan Stephens

11 Dane Dunning

12 Amado Nunez

13 Trey Michalczewski

14 Alex Call

15 Jameson Fisher

16 Luis Curbelo

17 Spencer Adams

18 Micker Adolfo

19 Rymer Liriano

20 Adam Engel

21 Jake Peter

22 Eddy Alvarez

23 Jordan Guerrero

24 Seby Zavala

25 Corey Zangari

26 Dylan Covey

27 Bernardo Flores

28 Jacob May

29 Aaron Schnurbusch

30 Josue Guerrero

Just missed: Tyler Danish, Joel Booker, Charlie Tilson, Nick Delmonico, Carlos Perez, Matt Cooper, Johan Cruz

The only prospect acquired in the recent trades who I didn't rank is Victor Diaz, who I look at as similar to Robin Leyer (I'd put Diaz somewhere in the 30's).

Have at me!

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't agree with Collins being ahead of Kopech at this point. If Collins does well this season I can see him shooting up the MLB top 100 rankings considerably though.

His bat and patience at the plate are legitimate. If Collins can stick at catcher defensively I really feel like he could be a superstar player. I'm very excited about what he has the potential to become.

Woops, I confused myself. Wrong thread.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I just recently did a working Top 30 list, without a ton of research, as a starting point. I figure this is a good moment to post it.

FWIW, I continue to be much lower on Adams than most people...

1 Yoan Moncada

2 Michael Kopech

3 Zack Collins

4 Lucas Giolito

5 Reynaldo Lopez

6 Carson Fulmer

7 Alec Hansen

8 Zack Burdi

9 Luis Alex Basabe

10 Jordan Stephens

11 Dane Dunning

12 Amado Nunez

13 Trey Michalczewski

14 Alex Call

15 Jameson Fisher

16 Luis Curbelo

17 Spencer Adams

18 Micker Adolfo

19 Rymer Liriano

20 Adam Engel

21 Jake Peter

22 Eddy Alvarez

23 Jordan Guerrero

24 Seby Zavala

25 Corey Zangari

26 Dylan Covey

27 Bernardo Flores

28 Jacob May

29 Aaron Schnurbusch

30 Josue Guerrero

Just missed: Tyler Danish, Joel Booker, Charlie Tilson, Nick Delmonico, Carlos Perez, Matt Cooper, Johan Cruz

The only prospect acquired in the recent trades who I didn't rank is Victor Diaz, who I look at as similar to Robin Leyer (I'd put Diaz somewhere in the 30's).

Have at me!

I just think it's high likelihood that Danish makes the show as a reliever, still. And that to me gets you in top 30.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
I just think it's high likelihood that Danish makes the show as a reliever, still. And that to me gets you in top 30.

He will almost assuredly get a shot at it, but I am not convinced he can stick for long. I see what you're saying though - floor and close-to-majors certainly have value.

I think you can re-arrange everyone from 26th through the first 5 names just off the list, from mine, and it would make sense to me. They are pretty interchangeable.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
Don't forget Jones, who's probably second most valuable after Q.

and Abreu, with his son in the states it wouldn't be crazy to see him post a line similar to his second half .319/.384/.514 - wRC+142. It appears hes not going anywhere till the deadline as the market is saturated with 1B / DH right handed power hitters.

What has Trey M. done to be ahead of Adams?

12-17 all seem interchangeable, and Engel feels a bit low. With Fisher and Call, they both need to prove it over a full season.

Guys like Mitchell and Hawkins fooled everyone early in their careers, although they're obviously representative of different styles of play compared to this year's draft class.

On the Danish topic, I've kind of never understood why people think he'll be a good reliever. Maybe he can be a decent long man but that's all I see him being in the bullpen. Still think he has a better chance to be a starter(which at this point I don't think is going to happen either) than he does to be a back end of the pen arm.

If I had to do a top 30 today:

1. Moncada

2. Giolito

3. Kopech

4. Lopez

5. Collins

6. Fulmer

7. Burdi

8. Hansen

9. Basabe

10. Dunning

11. Adams

12. Call

13. Fisher

14. Stephens

15. Nunez

16. Michalczewski

17. Adolfo

19. Martinez

20. Engel

21. Curbelo

22. Flores

23. Tilson

24. Guerrero

25. Clark

26. Alfaro

27. Peter

28. Danish

29. Solorzano

30. Schnurbusch

What's interesting is I couldn't find room for about a dozen prospects that would have made top 30 lists in recent years. And there are still so few Latin American signings cracking these lists...hopefully that should change in the near future.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
If I had to do a top 30 today:

1. Moncada

2. Giolito

3. Kopech

4. Lopez

5. Collins

6. Fulmer

7. Burdi

8. Hansen

9. Basabe

10. Dunning

11. Adams

12. Call

13. Fisher

14. Stephens

15. Nunez

16. Michalczewski

17. Adolfo

19. Martinez

20. Engel

21. Curbelo

22. Flores

23. Tilson

24. Guerrero

25. Clark

26. Alfaro

27. Peter

28. Danish

29. Solorzano

30. Schnurbusch

What's interesting is I couldn't find room for about a dozen prospects that would have made top 30 lists in recent years. And there are still so few Latin American signings cracking these lists...hopefully that should change in the near future.

Matt Cooper is 25 years old, but I feel like he deserves some top 30 consideration after having a very nice season in 2016. His ceiling is likely that of a solid reliever, but that can still be a valuable player.

He has the potential to make the Sox roster at some point in 2017 out of the pen

They have Basabe ahead of Fulmer. Does that mean they have Basabe as Top 100, or that they're low on Fulmer?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 12:51 AM)
They have Basabe ahead of Fulmer. Does that mean they have Basabe as Top 100, or that they're low on Fulmer?

BA has always been pretty low on Fulmer, but i remember reading one of their chats saying he still might be in the top 100. So, Basabe has a chance to crack the top 100.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
BA has always been pretty low on Fulmer, but i remember reading one of their chats saying he still might be in the top 100. So, Basabe has a chance to crack the top 100.

The guy who did the White Sox list made it sound like Fulmer was unlikely to be a top 100 guy, but that he wasn't completely sure on that. My guess is both Fulmer & Basabe fall somewhere in their 100 to 150 range. Personally, I don't think Fulmer's stock should drop that much, but he did have a very disappointing year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
Yep, seemed we had to deal with Mitchell, K.Walker, Micah Johnson and Thompson hype for nearly half a decade.

I give Mitchell a pass due to the nasty injury. I feel for him and what his foot will be like when he gets to 50.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
Yep, seemed we had to deal with Mitchell, K.Walker, Micah Johnson and Thompson hype for nearly half a decade.

How did Micah end up on your list here? I don't understand the parallel with the others. Not even sure Thompson truly fits, as he turned out to be a major leaguer.