What's the Funniest/Worst Christmas Gift you've received?

knightni

My mother in law asked me a few times during the year if I wore watches, liked watches, etc. I told her over and over that I just have never liked wearing watches, so of course she got me a watch. And got mad at me when I didn't wear it after Christmas

This is a copy from my Reddit post about my late paternal grandmother. She had a strange sense of humor:

My grandmother was an interesting woman.

She gave us all socks for years instead of toys, because she "wanted us to be responsible." Then, when we started looking forward to the socks, she stopped giving them.

I had a few things in storage in her basement, because she had a lot of empty space and never went down there. She decided that it would be good fun to go down and wrap up something that I had in storage and give it to me for Christmas. Her hint that she didn't want the stuff down there anymore.

One other year, she got me a fridge magnet (I'm a larger guy) that had a pig on it that would oink when you opened the fridge door.

Lastly, she used to go to dollar tree and family dollar to buy things for us. Not because she didn't have money - she just didn't want to spend any money on us. She went out one year and bought me a giant, expired can of cocktail peanuts. I'm allergic to peanuts - and she was aware - she just didn't bother to remember because they were on clearance.

During a White Elephant Holiday Celebration a kid, of about 7 years of age (seriously, not me) was left with the one present on the table after all the picking and exchanging...a jug of windshield wiper fluid.

That kid was not happy, although someone did switch him before he went home.

When I was a kid my parents would allow me to open one present on Christmas Eve. This particular Christmas we were spending at my Grandma's house. I had brought my NES with me and of course, had a bunch of NES games on my list.

So when I picked the present I wanted to open on Christmas Eve my parents asked me "Are you sure you want to open that one?" Of course being a kid I didn't listen to them and said "Yes, I'm sure." I opened it and it was a metal White Sox garbage can.

It was cool and all (I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere) but not exactly what I was hoping for at that moment. I'm pretty sure they made an exception and let me open another, "better" present.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
So when I picked the present I wanted to open on Christmas Eve my parents asked me "Are you sure you want to open that one?" Of course being a kid I didn't listen to them and said "Yes, I'm sure." I opened it and it was a metal White Sox garbage can.

It was cool and all (I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere) but not exactly what I was hoping for at that moment.

lol. If you were trying to pick out an NES game present, why didn't you choose a small rectangular box?

THIS LARGE, HEAVY CYLINDER MUST BE BUBBLE BOBBLE!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
When I turned 16, I had an aunt who gave me - wrapped in a shirt box - a Playboy magazine. Which I opened in front of my parents, aunt and uncle, etc. I cannot describe the level of awkward. She thought it was hilarious.

Was it a good issue...?

;)

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
lol. If you were trying to pick out an NES game present, why didn't you choose a small rectangular box?

THIS LARGE, HEAVY CYLINDER MUST BE BUBBLE BOBBLE!

To be fair, my family is known for wrapping presents in boxes 2 and 3 times bigger than the actual present. Many times there are multiple boxes/layers of gift wrap to get through.

It's also possible that I though it was a GI Joe vehicle or something as well.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)
To be fair, my family is known for wrapping presents in boxes 2 and 3 times bigger than the actual present. Many times there are multiple boxes/layers of gift wrap to get through.

It's also possible that I though it was a GI Joe vehicle or something as well.

Ah, very tricky.

This year for our son, we wrapped a vacuum (that's one of his chores) and a cell phone and we're going to tell him he can only choose one box. We hope he's enticed by the giant box.

(yes we will give him both)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
My mother in law asked me a few times during the year if I wore watches, liked watches, etc. I told her over and over that I just have never liked wearing watches, so of course she got me a watch. And got mad at me when I didn't wear it after Christmas

This is wild. People are nuts. You don't like watches and told her. Is she still mad at you? Did you return the watch? Most reasonable people would say, "If you don't like it, you can return it and get something else, blah blah." I also have always hated watches. I do like wallets however. Only certain kinds though. Just one fold over.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
I had a few things in storage in her basement, because she had a lot of empty space and never went down there. She decided that it would be good fun to go down and wrap up something that I had in storage and give it to me for Christmas. Her hint that she didn't want the stuff down there anymore.

Lastly, she used to go to dollar tree and family dollar to buy things for us. Not because she didn't have money - she just didn't want to spend any money on us.

What was granny's problem? She never goes in the basement and wants you to clear your stuff out. Like I said people are strange and I know. My mom is certfiably mad.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
When I turned 16, I had an aunt who gave me - wrapped in a shirt box - a Playboy magazine. Which I opened in front of my parents, aunt and uncle, etc. I cannot describe the level of awkward. She thought it was hilarious.

This is a cool story. You still remember the story so her gift was a hit. She sounds like a cool person. Live life to the fullest.

As far as my worst gift, there have been so many bad ones I don't even know. I know one time I gave my mom a popcorn maker and she was pissed. I think I had the receipt and we were able to take it back. She liked her own way of making popcorn by gosh.

I love my aunt but when I was about 14 or 15 she bought me a Stryper album for Christmas. Not cool for a teen that was listening to DIO, Slayer, Venom, Megadeth and so on. The day after Christmas I was at the record store trading it for a Celtic Frost album. :lol:

Forgot about another one that's pretty funny. When I was 17 my other aunt pulls me aside from everyone to give me my Christmas gift which turned out to be a wood bowl she picked up from a head shop near her apartment. Then tells me that later on her, her sister ( miss Stryper) and I would duck out and go back to her apartment to break in the new piece. Lol, everyone knew we were f***ed up when we got back to my grandmother's house. Good times! :D

I have some weird ass relatives and not in the creepy, drunk, fun or quirky kind, I mean straight up weird.

When I was 16 living with my parents I got a f***ing kitchen fire extinguisher.

Not because they were cheap or trying to prove a point...they were just eraserhead weird. I think we changed our Christmas eve plans after that.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 05:32 AM)
I have some weird ass relatives and not in the creepy, drunk, fun or quirky kind, I mean straight up weird.

When I was 16 living with my parents I got a f***ing kitchen fire extinguisher.

Not because they were cheap or trying to prove a point...they were just eraserhead weird. I think we changed our Christmas eve plans after that.

That is the wildest gift of all time. My gawd a fire extinguisher for a 16 year old. How awful a gift. Did anybody say anything when you opened the gift wrapping?