Giolito

Southwest Sider

I wanted to start a discussion on Giolito to gather some opinions from our more savvy posters regarding his future in the MLB.

Basically, when the trade happened people were saying Shelby Miller 2.0 and that the Sox fleeced the Nationals.

I think a lot of people here had a more clear view of the trade, yes the Sox got a nice return but the Nationals got a good player and I highly doubt he will be as bad as Shelby Miller has been for Arizona.

However, I was reading some tweets and articles talking about Giolito and that a lot of executives at the winter meetings had him lower on their prospect list then the national outlets. How low? One may never know, but it is interesting topic for discussion because some felt the Sox fleeced the Nationals, while others are down on Giolito. If Giolito isn't as good as we hope, then it severely hurts the value of this deal. Lopez projects as a bullpen piece, which is fine, and Dunning could be a starter but he's kind of far away yet.

Giolito is the headliner and there's talk that the Nationals screwed up delivery, so he seems like an ideal candidate for the Sox to fix. I guess I just want to see what some of you guys out there feel like his ceiling really is.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
I wanted to start a discussion on Giolito to gather some opinions from our more savvy posters regarding his future in the MLB.

Basically, when the trade happened people were saying Shelby Miller 2.0 and that the Sox fleeced the Nationals.

I think a lot of people here had a more clear view of the trade, yes the Sox got a nice return but the Nationals got a good player and I highly doubt he will be as bad as Shelby Miller has been for Arizona.

However, I was reading some tweets and articles talking about Giolito and that a lot of executives at the winter meetings had him lower on their prospect list then the national outlets. How low? One may never know, but it is interesting topic for discussion because some felt the Sox fleeced the Nationals, while others are down on Giolito. If Giolito isn't as good as we hope, then it severely hurts the value of this deal. Lopez projects as a bullpen piece, which is fine, and Dunning could be a starter but he's kind of far away yet.

Giolito is the headliner and there's talk that the Nationals screwed up delivery, so he seems like an ideal candidate for the Sox to fix. I guess I just want to see what some of you guys out there feel like his ceiling really is.

Giolito is a work in progress, but he has the raw stuff and talent that you cannot teach. He is not a finished product right now, and still needs significant time in AAA to work on his mechanics and command.

While I'm not sure he will become an ace, his floor is very high as well. He is a little more hittable than we would like to see, but I have high hopes for him.

I would recommend listening to Callis on Garfein's podcast dropped last night. He wasn't that worried about fastball decline and mentioned how the Nats were jerking him up and down after each start.

It's more easy for me to imagine and understand Giolito after going through the ups and downs with Rodon.

It's hard to imagine how a guy with a 97 fastball and slider like he has not dominating, and left handed to boot! But to consistently harnass that power isn't always a clear line.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...uture-white-sox

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
I would recommend listening to Callis on Garfein's podcast dropped last night. He wasn't that worried about fastball decline and mentioned how the Nats were jerking him up and down after each start.

It's more easy for me to imagine and understand Giolito after going through the ups and downs with Rodon.

It's hard to imagine how a guy with a 97 fastball and slider like he has not dominating, and left handed to boot! But to consistently harnass that power isn't always a clear line.

Big pitchers take time to develop command/control

You can't teach pure stuff, and Giolito flashes a plus fastball, curveball and changeup...just not regularly at the same time

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)

Giolito is righthanded.

I too, am interested to see where Giolito falls on top prospect lists when they're updated. My guess is somewhere between 10-20, and I expect Lopez to be just behind him. I think Lopez still profiles as a starting pitcher, and the Sox must believe that too. As Jerksticks said, watch the highlights of his 11k game. Wow he looks nasty.

I think Giolito will be fine. He needs some consistency. Coop is the right guy to work with him. I expect him up in June, and while he'll still have some lumps, I think he'll flash his ace upside. Here is to hoping his FB is up in the high 90s to start the year in AAA. If you watch highlights from him last year, he doesn't use his legs or core very much. Its all arm. I think the Sox will work with him on that.

I think you are selling Lopez way short.

I forgot where I read it, but wherever I read it mentioned that Dunning could possibly be a fast riser.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
I forgot where I read it, but wherever I read it mentioned that Dunning could possibly be a fast riser.

Dunning could be a fast riser and has the potential to be a $4 or #5 starting pitcher. He is far more than just a throw in, and could end being a very solid prospect.

It's so refreshing to have more quality options in our farm system than ever before in recent memory.

A Quintana trade would give us a totally stacked top 10

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
I too, am interested to see where Giolito falls on top prospect lists when they're updated. My guess is somewhere between 10-20, and I expect Lopez to be just behind him. I think Lopez still profiles as a starting pitcher, and the Sox must believe that too. As Jerksticks said, watch the highlights of his 11k game. Wow he looks nasty.

I think Giolito will be fine. He needs some consistency. Coop is the right guy to work with him. I expect him up in June, and while he'll still have some lumps, I think he'll flash his ace upside. Here is to hoping his FB is up in the high 90s to start the year in AAA. If you watch highlights from him last year, he doesn't use his legs or core very much. Its all arm. I think the Sox will work with him on that.

Personally, I think it's the other way around. He uses a little too much drop and drive to engage the legs. However, this also lowers all of the angles for a big guy and makes it more difficult to command the pitches. Other than that he has a good deal of the "classic" hard thrower mechanics.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
I agree. I think his floor is a good mid-rotation starter.

For all the talk of Giolito's stock being down, he actually put together a very nice season in AA/AAA for being 21 years old

In 7 AAA starts he had a 2.17 ERA , 37 1/3 IP, 31 hits, 10 BB, 40 K's, 1.09 WHIP

That is not shabby at all for a guy who would still be in college ball right now normally

I posted my analysis of Giolito on FutureSox when the trade broke. Funny to call him a change of scenery candidate because of all his success, but I think this is the case here. Nationals were clearly down on him and whatever they did to change his mechanics was not working. I think when 2017 prospect rankings come out he will tumble, but Sox still have a potential ace if they get him rolling again.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2016/...e-to-nationals/

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
Dunning could be a fast riser and has the potential to be a $4 or #5 starting pitcher. He is far more than just a throw in, and could end being a very solid prospect.

It's so refreshing to have more quality options in our farm system than ever before in recent memory.

A Quintana trade would give us a totally stacked top 10

A Q trade could possibly bring our top ten into 10 top 100, depending where Basabe falls and what the third piece of said trade is, but its entirely possible.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
A Q trade could possibly bring our top ten into 10 top 100, depending where Basabe falls and what the third piece of said trade is, but its entirely possible.

10 top 100 prospects... crazy.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
10 top 100 prospects... crazy.

....thats like 10% of the list....

When Jones, Abreu, Robertson, Frazier, Migo, Jennings, Melky and Lawrie get moved its entirely possibly we're looking at 15 of the top 100.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)

When Jones, Abreu, Robertson, Frazier, Migo, Jennings, Melky and Lawrie get moved its entirely possibly we're looking at 15 of the top 100.

I think after Q goes it's likely only Jones/Frazier could bring back a top 100 prospect. And Frazier may only bring back a back end one.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)

Very few of those guys will land top 100 types. Abreu & Robertson need to reastablish their value, while Frazier needs a better 3B market. The rest of the guys outside of Jones won't sniff a top 100 prospect IMO.