Also logical landing places for Abreu/Frazier/Cabrera

caulfield12

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Cardinals will eventually offer Bader for Frazier when the time comes, though that moment won't come until EE signs.

Melky is a more of a deadline player for a team making the playoff push that is light on LHH or has suffered some OF injuries. He's a guy where his impending free agency might actually help his value as teams who find a spot opened for him by injury will likely have an incumbent LF to open 2018 that they don't want to unseat. I would not be surprised if he's dealt, hit FA and then comes back to the Sox on a 2 year deal. He seems to get on pretty well here.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
I think the Cardinals will eventually offer Bader for Frazier when the time comes, though that moment won't come until EE signs.

Melky is a more of a deadline player for a team making the playoff push that is light on LHH or has suffered some OF injuries. He's a guy where his impending free agency might actually help his value as teams who find a spot opened for him by injury will likely have an incumbent LF to open 2018 that they don't want to unseat. I would not be surprised if he's dealt, hit FA and then comes back to the Sox on a 2 year deal. He seems to get on pretty well here.

I don't see that happening unless they dump Peralta's contract first.

The last thing the White Sox need to do is invest MORE dollars into Cabrera in his mid 30's (he would be 33 at the beginning of next year, and there's the unknown factor of his "real" body age due to the PED's).

It feels like the only way would be if he lowered his salary demands for his next contract to the $5-7 million range, and you just don't often see players stay with the same organization when their pay is going to be cut by 50% or more...especially if they have a history of playing on winning or playoff teams.

I suppose it's POSSIBLE the White Sox could want him back, but the odds are very high he's replaced by a better defensive LF, and do you really want Melky as your DH?

On top of all that, but keeping the likes of Q/Cabrera/Frazier/Robertson/Jones around only makes it more likely we don't end up with a Top 5 draft pick. We're not going to compete with them, and they're all (other than Jones) relatively expensive players to carry on a payroll, so just not seeing the logic...unless we're going along with this far-fetched idea that Hahn's going to make a run at competing this year if everything goes right with the development of Moncada, Collins, Giolito, Lopez and Burdi.

But then they're not rebuilding, exactly. Hopefully they get the package they want for Q sooner rather than later so this argument can be put to bed once and for all.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)
I don't see that happening unless they dump Peralta's contract first.

Peralta, Wong and Adams all (seemingly) have nowhere to go...IMO, it's actually quite amazing the Cardinals were as competitive as they were with the premature death of Oscar Taveras as well as the falloffs from Allen Craig, Holliday, Jay, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)

Interesting how Bader fell in the latest BA cardinal rankings:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017...p-10-prospects/

I'd take Peralta's contract in a Frazier trade, he only has 1 year left I believe. Flip him at the deadline then.

Peralta is unflippable. Sox will just be picking up the money and letting him wallow somewhere on the diamond.

As for Bader, looks like he'd fit the theme of grabbing guys who have had their stocks slip a bit for dubious reasons.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
Peralta is unflippable. Sox will just be picking up the money and letting him wallow somewhere on the diamond.

As for Bader, looks like he'd fit the theme of grabbing guys who have had their stocks slip a bit for dubious reasons.

Disagree, he's still a good contact hitter and that could be valuable to a playoff team down the stretch.

Disagree, he's still a good contact hitter and that could be valuable to a playoff team down the stretch.

He really fell off a cliff last year. I suppose he could turn it around but that's a guy where I really wouldn't count on it. You pick him up to kind of sweeten the allure of Frazier, not because you actually want him.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)

I'd be happy to get him I was just surprised how much his stock fell from his AAA stint. He was moved fairly aggressively and had largely raked everywhere else.

Frazier to any of the mets/cards/giants makes sense and they all have the back half top 100 prospect and lotto ticket to acquire his services for a year.

I think even if the sox land Bell in a deal for Q he starts at AAA until Abreu ideally delivers on his back half #'s (.319/.384/.514 - 142 wRC+) and then is traded to Boston as moreland and panda don't pull their weight pun intended.

With Melky I think the sox have to eat all 15mil on it to get a real prospect back.

Frazier to any of the mets/cards/giants makes sense and they all have the back half top 100 prospect and lotto ticket to acquire his services for a year.

I think even if the sox land Bell in a deal for Q he starts at AAA until Abreu ideally delivers on his back half #'s (.319/.384/.514 - 142 wRC+) and then is traded to Boston as moreland and panda don't pull their weight pun intended.

With Melky I think the sox have to eat all 15mil on it to get a real prospect back.

This isn't a good market to trade Abreu.

Maybe next year will be - not sure which 1B/DH are up for FA, but several were this season.

Melky looks like a deadline deal; if he has a good year, but get a bottom top 100 for him. If not, then a flier. But that's okay.

I'd like to see someone pony up for Robertson and move him before the season to create more room for Jones and perhaps others who could be flipped.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
He really fell off a cliff last year. I suppose he could turn it around but that's a guy where I really wouldn't count on it. You pick him up to kind of sweeten the allure of Frazier, not because you actually want him.

He did miss the first couple of months of the regular season as well.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
This isn't a good market to trade Abreu.

Maybe next year will be - not sure which 1B/DH are up for FA, but several were this season.

Melky looks like a deadline deal; if he has a good year, but get a bottom top 100 for him. If not, then a flier. But that's okay.

I'd like to see someone pony up for Robertson and move him before the season to create more room for Jones and perhaps others who could be flipped.

Abreu at the deadline or next offseason might be a better market for a slugger like him, agreed

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Abreu at the deadline or next offseason might be a better market for a slugger like him, agreed

At those times guys like Hosmer, Duda, and Carlos Santana will be available as 1b options and you add in some OF candidates like Cabrera, Werth, Beltran, Granderson, Holliday, Frazier, and Bruce who all might be seen by teams as a DH option if they don't retire or get suspended. Plus anyone like Alvarez who winds up on a 1 year deal this season.

The DH/1b market doesn't look like it has a very good chance of being that much better in the next year, at least to my eyes. Teams aren't jumping on these players now and I don't see openings that will make that change.

The guys I want to trade NOW are Melky, Frazier, and Robertson. While they may have more of a market in July, their trade value won't be significantly higher. I don't think it's far fetched that each of these guys could get you at least 2 Top 10-20 prospects from other team's system. I'd much rather see us take this route then give the open spots to reclamation projects than roll out serviceable veterans who aren't part of the long term plan. Last thing we need is to finish in the 6-10 range again and settle for a 2nd tier prospect in the next draft.

One guy I think we can sign and potentially flip at the deadline is Michael Saunders. Perhaps we can get him for 1/$10M deal (though there is a solid market for him right now). Luke Hochevar and Nick Hundley could be worth the gamble for short term deals as well. Grant Green is another guy who's a former top prospect, .300 hitter his entire minor league career. Ruby De La Rosa is a hard thrower, who could start or develop into a strong setup man.

Start season with

C - Narvaez/Hundley

1B - Abreu/Davidson

2B - Lawrie/Sanchez

SS - Anderson/Sanchez

3B - Saladino/Davidson/Grant Green

LF - Saunders/Green

CF - Tilson/Lirano

RF - Liriano/Avi

DH - Avi/Green

Rotation

1. Rodon

2. Shields

3. Migo

4. Holland

5. De La Rosa/Lopez

This team should not win you a lot of games. If we end up winning more, that most likely means we hit homeruns with several of these guys. Come July, I think we should see significantly bigger market for Abreu, Jones, Holland and maybe even Lawrie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
The problem is those guys have about zero surplus value.

Frazier will probably be a 3 WAR player next year getting paid like 1.5 to 2 WAR player, so he certainly should have some surplus value. He is also a good enough player to warrant a QO and will likely return the acquiring team a draft pick. We should most definitely be able to get something of value for him. The Giants seem like a good fit to me.