A game I remember

Heads22

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
How about when Colon struck out Bonds 3 times and then Bonds faced him later in the game and hit a ball about 947 feet? I was there.

I was there too. I was sitting in Section 101, and Bonds hit that ball about 15 rows over my head. It had to be the hardest hit ball I have seen in person.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 06:47 AM)
Aug. 7, 1974

Down one in the bottom of the ninth, Dick Allen breaks up a Nolan Ryan no-hitter with an infield hit. That's followed by an error and a couple more singles. Sox end up winning 2-1, years before the term walk-off was ever coined. :)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...197408070.shtml

I actually have the bottom of that 9th inning and Harry's postgame show in my library. It's the WSNS Channel 44 coverage of the game.

Shows you what hustling on every play can lead to because you just never know.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I actually have the bottom of that 9th inning and Harry's postgame show in my library. It's the WSNS Channel 44 coverage of the game.

Shows you what hustling on every play can lead to because you just never know.

Mark

Is there a link to that, Mark? I'd love to watch it. I was a little kid...went with my brother and grandfather.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Is there a link to that, Mark? I'd love to watch it. I was a little kid...went with my brother and grandfather.

I don't know if it is on-line somehow or not. I got it from a friend who originally got it from a member of the White Sox family. Video is very good considering it is over 40 years old.

Mark

When I was a kid I was with my Dad at that double header where the Sox beat the Yankees the first game (can't remember the score). The second game Dick Allen hit a pinch-hit 3-run homer off Sparky Lyle in the bottom of the 9th inning (a frozen rope against the wind into the left field bleachers) and the Sox won 5-4 for the sweep. There's a great story behind it too about Chuck Tanner not being able to find Allen to pinch hit and he was in the clubhouse eating (I've heard tacos...but not sure). They sent the ball boy to find him.

To this day it's one of the greatest sports moments I've seen live. Also saw him almost hit the scoreboard at old Comiskey...and for you older guys...you know how far that was. I spent so many fun days at old Comiskey. Allen is still my favorite player to this day...

My dad wrote Brooks Boyer after this game, telling him he didn't see baseball that day and wasn't sure what exactly he saw but he demanded his money back. Instead of getting his money back, he got five free tickets to a future Sox game. Twins beat White Sox 20-1.

Also, I was at this wonderful game as well.

Edited by New Era on South Side

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
When I was a kid I was with my Dad at that double header where the Sox beat the Yankees the first game (can't remember the score). The second game Dick Allen hit a pinch-hit 3-run homer off Sparky Lyle in the bottom of the 9th inning (a frozen rope against the wind into the left field bleachers) and the Sox won 5-4 for the sweep. There's a great story behind it too about Chuck Tanner not being able to find Allen to pinch hit and he was in the clubhouse eating (I've heard tacos...but not sure). They sent the ball boy to find him.

To this day it's one of the greatest sports moments I've seen live. Also saw him almost hit the scoreboard at old Comiskey...and for you older guys...you know how far that was. I spent so many fun days at old Comiskey. Allen is still my favorite player to this day...

I never saw anyone come close to even landing a homer into the dead-centerfield bleachers over that huge wall that was probably 30 feet high and 430 feet out, much less hit the scoreboard beyond those bleachers. The best I ever saw were balls hitting that wall about halfway up on the fly. Anything that made it all the way to that wall was usually an automatic triple, just like balls hit today at Comerica Park in Detroit deep into the RF power alley.

Eventually, the Sox installed a more reasonable "homerable" CF wall that was short - like only 8 feet - and about 400-410 feet away.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)

I co hosted in 2012 the 40th anniversary for that team put on by the Chicago Baseball Museum and the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. Dick was there along with Bill Melton, Carlos May, Hank Allen, Bart Johnson, Ed Spiezio, Tom Bradley (who threw a complete game in the first game of the DH you talked about), "Goose" Gossage and Roland Hemond. It was a terrific time, gave a :25 minute speech outlining the season. Dick told me he wasn't eating a taco but a chili dog. When Tanner wanted him to pinch hit he ran back to the clubhouse, threw on a uniform (minus the long sleeved undershirt because he didn't have time) wolfed down his chili dog (getting it all over the uniform top) and got out on the field.

He hit the third pitch from Lyle (a slider) into the seats for the win. I actually have that entire radio broadcast in my library (Yankees radio network) after the home run Phil Rizzutto couldn't believe it. The tone of his voice was like someone ran over his dog!

Here is the link to my story on that weekend if you are interested: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...y=2&id=4314

Good times...great season!

I also have Harry's radio call of Dick's bleacher shot home run (was sitting near him that afternoon along with a young Richard Roeper) and the WFLD-TV video of Dick's two inside the park home runs in the same game at Minnesota that same season.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

This one, where the Sox went into the 9th inning down 8-4, and won 10-8 on a walkoff grand slam by Gary Redus of all people.

And this one, the infamous "seat cushion game", which the White Sox almost forfeited. There was a controversial play at second base, Jim Fregosi argued with the umpire to no avail, and then some bloke hurled his white seat cushion (the giveaway of the game) onto the field. This promoted a blizzard of white squares to come snowing down onto the field, stopping play, and warnings went out on the PA that the umpires would consider the game a forfeit if it didn't stop. The game also including an incredible Daryl Boston catch, and even an Ozzie Guillen home run. Hard to imagine more bizarre happenings in one game.

I was at the game when Herbert Perry fell on his face trying to catch a Jim Thome foul ball from tripping over third base. Thome sent the next pitch 3/4 up the hideous blue batters eye. One of the longest homeruns i have ever seen live, if not the longest

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
I co hosted in 2012 the 40th anniversary for that team put on by the Chicago Baseball Museum and the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. Dick was there along with Bill Melton, Carlos May, Hank Allen, Bart Johnson, Ed Spiezio, Tom Bradley (who threw a complete game in the first game of the DH you talked about), "Goose" Gossage and Roland Hemond. It was a terrific time, gave a :25 minute speech outlining the season. Dick told me he wasn't eating a taco but a chili dog. When Tanner wanted him to pinch hit he ran back to the clubhouse, threw on a uniform (minus the long sleeved undershirt because he didn't have time) wolfed down his chili dog (getting it all over the uniform top) and got out on the field.

He hit the third pitch from Lyle (a slider) into the seats for the win. I actually have that entire radio broadcast in my library (Yankees radio network) after the home run Phil Rizzutto couldn't believe it. The tone of his voice was like someone ran over his dog!

Here is the link to my story on that weekend if you are interested: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...y=2&id=4314

Good times...great season!

I also have Harry's radio call of Dick's bleacher shot home run (was sitting near him that afternoon along with a young Richard Roeper) and the WFLD-TV video of Dick's two inside the park home runs in the same game at Minnesota that same season.

Mark

Great stuff Lip!...thanks for posting! lol...the chili dog story...so awesome! We were sitting down the 3rd base line...and that ball got outta there in a hurry!

btw...one of the things I got my dad for Xmas: God Almighty Hisself: The Life and Legacy of Dick Allen by Mitchell Nathanson. He said it's an amazing read so far.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
The infamous 32-14 doubleheader shellacking by the Twins. I was in the outfield for this day game, it was so f***ing hot. And they just kept scoring. Both teams, actually.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...200707061.shtml

I already posted that because I'll never forget.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
I never saw anyone come close to even landing a homer into the dead-centerfield bleachers over that huge wall that was probably 30 feet high and 430 feet out, much less hit the scoreboard beyond those bleachers. The best I ever saw were balls hitting that wall about halfway up on the fly. Anything that made it all the way to that wall was usually an automatic triple, just like balls hit today at Comerica Park in Detroit deep into the RF power alley.

Eventually, the Sox installed a more reasonable "homerable" CF wall that was short - like only 8 feet - and about 400-410 feet away.

hear ya doc...where the arrow is pointing is where he hit it. I want to say it was against the Orioles (not 100% sure on that one)...but we were sitting in the right field bleachers close to the bullpen. Is was about 3 rows or so from back of the bleachers where it hit...and it wasn't a towering shot either. Damn that guy could hit a ball...

Old%20Comiskey%20Park%20Chicago%20Illino

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
I was at the game when Herbert Perry fell on his face trying to catch a Jim Thome foul ball from tripping over third base. Thome sent the next pitch 3/4 up the hideous blue batters eye. One of the longest homeruns i have ever seen live, if not the longest

Reminds me of when Crede dropped a foul ball and the next pitch, Manny Ramirez hit the ball onto the Dan Ryan

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
Reminds me of when Crede dropped a foul ball and the next pitch, Manny Ramirez hit the ball onto the Dan Ryan

It went half way up the bleachers, but it only took about 0.2 seconds to get there off his bat. Just the hardest line drive homer I have ever seen.