Sox eyeing FA sluggers

Con te Giolito

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heyman-str...luggers-remain/

No specific mention of which names, but here it is:

The Orioles, Blue Jays and Rangers are very likely to land one of these sluggers (or another one in trade; Jay Bruce has been mentioned prominently in trades) while the Rays have been linked to at least Bautista and the Giants, Phillies, White Sox and Angels are said to be eying things from a comfortable distance, with the possibility to jump in.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heyman-str...luggers-remain/

No specific mention of which names, but here it is:

They're definitely going to grab a Carter or Lind type player before spring training to DH and also potential flip for anything in July candidate.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
They're definitely going to grab a Carter or Lind type player before spring training to DH and also potential flip for anything in July candidate.

Eventually they will need to fill the DH spot with a player like that, agreed

Teams that are not going for a play-off spot or trying to tank the season have no reason to spend a dime on a DH. That spot can be filled by any player who can swing a bat.

I saw Kittle recently at a local fast food place. But for his age, he looked like he could still DH. Remember, even "

jacked one at 75 yrs old.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)

Give it to the rotating cast of youth. Might as well, gives more reason to keep them on the roster and more ABs for them. Or move Frazier or Melky to DH and see if one of the fringy players the team has can develop into something worthwhile.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Our DH next year will be Morneau or Garcia. I can see us getting another OF'er, but one we can keep around and he might comes a prospect from a trade. Remember we are rebuilding so spending a lot of money on a one year deal makes little sense.

It would be a classic "you scratch my back I scratch yours" scenario: aging slugger will be guaranteed playing time on the South Side in return for a slight discount on the one year -- so they can "bet on themselves" and go after a big contract next year. Chicago hopes for the best case scenario where they can flip the guy for something at the deadline and in the worst case scenario they simply move on.

There isn't anybody really to block, so the only thing they'd be out is money, and it doesn't really seem like that's much to worry about given it will most likely be a one year dear for under 10 million.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Our DH next year will be Morneau or Garcia. I can see us getting another OF'er, but one we can keep around and he might comes a prospect from a trade. Remember we are rebuilding so spending a lot of money on a one year deal makes little sense.

I'd be shocked if Garcia isn't given the first 3 months in RF.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Our system would be back to being razor thin though. Trout would hugely improve the White Sox the next four seasons, but unloading:

Quintana, Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Basabe and Diaz for one player would be absurd...even for Trout

We would be giving up 6 seasons of control for most of those players

Give me one or even two of Saunders, Alvarez, Moss, Lind, Valbuena, Howard or Morneau.

They'll all be varying degrees of cheap and can be had on 1 year deals. Saunders pushing Melky to DH would be nice. Rasmus would be cool. Otherwise one of the other guys to DH would be fine. Valbuena to play 3B if Frazier is moved.

If the Sox don't get an offer to their liking for Q, I could see an opening day roster line this:

Anderson - SS

Lawrie - 2B

Abreu - 1B

Frazier - 3B

Melky - DH

Saunders - LF

Rasmus - CF

Liriano / Avi - RF

Narvaez / Some FA - C

Q

Rodon

Shields

Holland

Covey for first two months then Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez

That team would at least still be somewhat respectable.

Sanders and Rasmus combined probably would cost somewhere between $15M-$20M.

Play Davidson or Saladino at 3b.

Real outfielders like Rasmus or Saunders could be interesting, but only if they don't believe in any of their internal options for CF and that giving Tilson/Engel/May etc. time out there won't change their minds.

Saunders had really good numbers the first half last year...not as much of a buy low guy compared to Rasmus, who could also raise his trade value demonstrating his ability to handle center.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
Teams that are not going for a play-off spot or trying to tank the season have no reason to spend a dime on a DH. That spot can be filled by any player who can swing a bat.

I saw Kittle recently at a local fast food place. But for his age, he looked like he could still DH. Remember, even "

jacked one at 75 yrs old.

Aches. Aches and Pains.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Pedro Alvarez

Cody Asche

Franklin Gutierrez

Adam Lind

Brandon Moss

Colby Rasmus

Michael Saunders

Luis Valbuena

I'd take a gamble on any 1 of those guys. Only need to catch lightning in a bottle for 3 1/2 months to turn them into something useful long term.

I would consider going after 2 guys on that list (add Carter as well). Rasmus and Alvarez or Rasmus and Carter should be fits for this team once all is done. Valbuena would only make sense if they moved Lawrie or if in fact Saladino's back issues really were thought to be significant.

I can't buy that Michael Saunders won't find a role somewhere before the end of Jan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
I would consider going after 2 guys on that list (add Carter as well). Rasmus and Alvarez or Rasmus and Carter should be fits for this team once all is done. Valbuena would only make sense if they moved Lawrie or if in fact Saladino's back issues really were thought to be significant.

I can't buy that Michael Saunders won't find a role somewhere before the end of Jan.

If it were up to me guys like Lawrie and Avi wouldn't be on the team and we'd take a shot on guys who have the potential to have real value...but that's obviously not going to happen unfortunately. And let's not forget that Abreu can always DH more with plenty of AB's between 1B and the rest of the IF positions. Not like Lawrie and Saladino are the type of guys that need to be played everyday, we kinda know what they are already.

But yeah I agree, Saunders will most likely find a multi year deal somewhere better than with us next year.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear