**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

I had wanted to get moviepass based on this thread but I realized it's not for me when I've tried to go see Thor for 2 weeks (actually tried) and haven't been able to work it out with sitters in time.

Really want to see Ladybird and Thor. Guess I can talk about them with you all in a few years.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
I had wanted to get moviepass based on this thread but I realized it's not for me when I've tried to go see Thor for 2 weeks (actually tried) and haven't been able to work it out with sitters in time.

Really want to see Ladybird and Thor. Guess I can talk about them with you all in a few years.

Put the kids in a closet for a few hours. It'll be fine.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
Speaking of Moviepass, it is now currently $6.95 a month. Only catch is you pay that annually (not really big deal). And it's easy to make the switch on the website.

There's an echo in here. :P

Gary 10 hr ago (is that you, Greg??? Gary/Greg, four letter names starting with G?)

I'm sure the movie is good. 20.00 to park. 18.00 per ticket for four people 60.00 for food Ill wait for the DVD release of Netflix to get it.

Will reiterate what William Tell wrote. Better than expected, by expectations were pretty darned low coming in.

Would put it ahead of Suicide Squad and the recent Batman/Superman and maybe even ahead of Avengers/Age of Ultron.

I don't regret going. Overall, the cabling together of the competing visions of Snyder/Whedon turned out okay, but it will dismissed as yet another "misfire" by DC in the end.

They desperately need another Wonder Woman movie before 2019...which isn't going to happen. And there was so much focus on Gal Gadot's lower half by the director's lens, I thought I was going to be charged with sexual harassment by the end. Not to mention Aquaman "hitting on" her when he was under the influence of the lasso of truth (too tired to write out the correct/full name of that thing) which would have been much funnier before the whole Weinstein thing.

As some mentioned, these DC movies (Batman's expected now) feeling so dark and gloomy...not just the tone, but the actual screen/setting...it needs to shift somehow.

Grittier and darker Bourne/Bond movies forced the genre in this direction, but it needs to come back to a happy medium.

Finally, looking forward to the one big sleeper hit of the weekend, WONDER.

Reminds me a lot of MASK.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
I caved and bought MoviePass, hopefully I have my card when I get back from vacation.

Took me a month but that was when the boom of orders hit them. Hopefully sooner for you.

Has anyone seen Wonder yet?

Coco was great, will reiterate the earlier post. Brilliant animation of the Land of the Dead, even though it went over the top a bit, the imagination expressed was great. Reminiscent of Japanese anime Spirited Away in many aspects.

Like the classic Up, the family aspects had most audience members crying at the end, even in China, which has zero emotional connection with Mexican culture/traditions.

Seen in the last 10 days in theaters...

LBJ - Interesting story about a figure I never really knew much about. I wouldn't give it a real strong recommendation. It was just ok.

Lady Bird - Entertaining, but it has no real resolution. It just ends. Some good performances, for sure.

Three Billboards... - Lots of good performances. I'd recommend it.

I saw Snowden on demand. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. It's definitely worth checking out.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
Director Bryan Singer has apparently been randomly missing from the set of the in-production Queen Biopic (Starring Rami Malek) and has been removed from the production.

Your guess is as good as mine as to whether this means there is about to be "News coming out" about Singer.

He has a lot of accusations, one of them probably stuck

Saw Lady Bird tonight.

I grew up the only boy in a house full of women (my mom and two sisters) and this movie nailed the way mom's and daughter's fight and argue. It was surreal.

I dont know if it's great but it's certainly very good. Greta Gerwig has been talking about doing a big movie as a writer-director hopefully she gets that chance.

Stronger, about Jeff Baumann and the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing was solid...much different way of telling the story than Patriots Day. Jake Gylenhaal was excellent.

Only the Brave 3.5/4

Roman J. Israel, Esq. 2.75/4

Wonder 3.5/4

Edited by caulfield12