**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
Is The Dark Tower going to be a series or are they going to cram 7 books into one movie?

The plan is to make multiple movies, but nobody really knows how many at this point. I think they are waiting to see how this first one does. At one time there was also talk of making a TV series that ties-in as well. Basing it on the 4th book where Roland was younger might make sense there.

They are apparently putting some parts of the later books into the movie though. The low men, The Dixie Pig, Algul Siento etc... Those things all existed when the first book took place, we just hadn't been introduced to them yet.

Saw the Mummy and wow, it's horrible. One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while.

I was really excited for it and the whole Dark Universe franchise, I still am but this was just a complete mess. I saw a poster before I saw it and noticed that's there's 6 writers credited, you can tell they all worked separately by how they're credited and that's never a good sign. I hated Jake Johnson's character and how he was used. The movie tried to do and be multiple things and failed at all of them.

I think all the talk about Tom Cruise's career being in jeopardy is extremely overblown. Yes this is a bad movie but it's not a flop. It'll probably make its budget back three times. Plus Tom Cruise has American Made out in September, which looks great and has a couple other movies in the pipeline which all sound interesting. I was really hoping he would be Slade Wilson, but that's for another time.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)
I need Baby Driver in my life like now, it sure as s*** looks like Edgar Wright went full Edgar Wright and I am 100% down.

There's screening next Thursday at the AMC on Illinois St. I would call and see if they still have passes.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Saw the Mummy and wow, it's horrible. One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while.

I was really excited for it and the whole Dark Universe franchise, I still am but this was just a complete mess. I saw a poster before I saw it and noticed that's there's 6 writers credited, you can tell they all worked separately by how they're credited and that's never a good sign. I hated Jake Johnson's character and how he was used. The movie tried to do and be multiple things and failed at all of them.

I think all the talk about Tom Cruise's career being in jeopardy is extremely overblown. Yes this is a bad movie but it's not a flop. It'll probably make its budget back three times. Plus Tom Cruise has American Made out in September, which looks great and has a couple other movies in the pipeline which all sound interesting. I was really hoping he would be Slade Wilson, but that's for another time.

That would mean a $1 billion film...as the costs ran to $325-345 million including marketing, p&a. Sitting on about $60 million going into its second weekend in China, where the Alien film is eventually out. Wonder Woman around $70 million, because not a known property here, but the reception of those who watch it is obviously very positive.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
That would mean a $1 billion film...as the costs ran to $325-345 million including marketing, p&a. Sitting on about $60 million going into its second weekend in China, where the Alien film is eventually out. Wonder Woman around $70 million, because not a known property here, but the reception of those who watch it is obviously very positive.

I'm talking about straight production budget. I haven't read the article in it's entirety yet. I know the listed budget is $125M which isn't a lot for a movie like this but some people have been throwing around $200M+.

The Mummy could be another Interstellar and by that I mean that this could be a rare case where the top talent (Nolan/Cruise) makes more than the studio. Keep in mind that Interstellar was a joint production.

I think people need to careful and not just look at the domestic box office before they call things a flop. Look at WarCraft.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
I'm talking about straight production budget. I haven't read the article in it's entirety yet. I know the listed budget is $125M which isn't a lot for a movie like this but some people have been throwing around $200M+.

The Mummy could be another Interstellar and by that I mean that this could be a rare case where the top talent (Nolan/Cruise) makes more than the studio. Keep in mind that Interstellar was a joint production.

I think people need to careful and not just look at the domestic box office before they call things a flop. Look at WarCraft.

Living in China, that's all you notice.

It's the only reason Pacific Rim II gets greenlit.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transforme...ast_knight_2017

Final Transformers at 12%. At least one of my favorite reviewers, Owen Gleiberman, found some redeeming qualities.

Transformers wasn't quite as bad as expected...

https://www.vox.com/summer-movies/2017/6/23...ense?yptr=yahoo

By far the best part of the movie was any scene with Laura Haddock. She's quite feisty. Except you can be pretty sure no Cambridge prof wears 5" stiletto heels or shows so much cleavage.

The biggest issue I have is sexualizing a 15-16 year old Peruvian actress, Isabela Moner.

Edited by caulfield12

Martian was actually pretty good. I was never excited to watch it cause I thought seeing someone stuck in Mars for the whole movie would be boring. Turns out it was actually very well done and entertaining (not that this should be a surprised since most everyone said the same positive things I'm finally saying a couple years late).

http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-...3-wonder-woman/

Transformers 5 expected to earn $73 million Wed - Sunday in US.

Already at nearly $70 million from Thurs night through pre-sales coming into Saturday morning here in China.

$91 million through Sat (2+ days). Will likely double US total for five days.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/transformers-l...-235315946.html

Spoilers. Also, there's a non-Bay Bumblebee spinoff with Bumblebee coming next.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
Transformers wasn't quite as bad as expected...

https://www.vox.com/summer-movies/2017/6/23...ense?yptr=yahoo

By far the best part of the movie was any scene with Laura Haddock. She's quite feisty. Except you can be pretty sure no Cambridge prof wears 5" stiletto heels or shows so much cleavage.

The biggest issue I have is sexualizing a 15-16 year old Peruvian actress, Isabela Moner.

It was a fun time.

Okja is the best movie of the year.

The modern-day equivalent of Babe...the only thing I didn't like was Jake Gylenhaal's over the top and almost unrecognizable character (which he seemed to enjoy performing, at least.)

The Bad Batch is some crazy dystopian stuff...reminded me of a different version of the Chris Evans film Snowpiercer, mixed with the scenery of Mad Max Fury Road but definitely not an action film, more of a philosophical one. And Suki Waterhouse looks exactly like Carla Delevigne. Could be sisters.

Finally, Get Out is nowhere close to THE best movie of the year!!!

Edited by caulfield12

I will watch Okja this weekend and admittedly, haven't seen as much this year as I have in the past, but I'd think Get Out is pretty fn great and the best I've seen so far.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
I will watch Okja this weekend and admittedly, haven't seen as much this year as I have in the past, but I'd think Get Out is pretty fn great and the best I've seen so far.

The Beguiled, Baby Driver and The Big Sick are supposed to be great, too.

If you want scary/weird, Raw is your movie.

Fwiw, I actually liked Get Out until the last 10-15 minutes or so. Just wasn't blown away. Like the second Guardians of the Galaxy, same feeling.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
The Beguiled, Baby Driver and The Big Sick are supposed to be great, too.

If you want scary/weird, Raw is your movie.

Fwiw, I actually liked Get Out until the last 10-15 minutes or so. Just wasn't blown away. Like the second Guardians of the Galaxy, same feeling.

Ha. I am the opposite on Get Out. For the first 75%, I was like, this is ok. But the last 25% were pretty amazing to me.