2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
This isn't even an argument I want. I generally like Sanders. I think it does take a lot to really pull an institution like the Democratic party out of its status quo.

BUT, if Sanders fans want to know what annoys me most, it's acting like there was no progressive movement in the democratic party prior to them mentioning it. To look at the 2012 platform vs. the 2004 one is crazy. To look at it vs 1996 even crazier.

I hated Bill Nelson, Ben Nelson Mary Landreiu, Blanche Lincoln so much. But, as much as they made ACA much worse, they still voted for it. They made it capable to pass things. So yeah, I'll take a congress with people like this again, so don't primary Joe Manchin just to prove a point.

This. So much this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
That's not good enough for Reddy.

It's plenty good enough for me. I'm glad he capitulated to public pressure. He's finally doing his job, and I appreciate that.

But way to keep mud slinging like a typical Berner.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
Pressure applies both ways.

How dare I hold the Great Bernie Sanders accountable in exactly the way he asks we hold our Democratic reps accountable.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
How dare I hold the Great Bernie Sanders accountable in exactly the way he asks we hold our Democratic reps accountable.

I don't get the longtime Democrats hatred of Bernie. The kids loved him and rightly so. He should be president right now. I'm firmly convinced if Hillary wanted to run one more time she'd be encouraged to do so again. The love of Hillary is baffling. Bernie was the Trump buster. He'd have won in a landslide.

Hillary Clinton is done.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/ple...s-doing?ref=yfp

Please God, Stop Chelsea Clinton From Whatever She's Doing

And Bernie Sanders wouldn't be able to change much of anything without control of Congress as well.

And the Trump administration (maybe The Donald himself) just produced one of the most amazing videos of all-time. Hard not to tear watching the Fearless Leader with George Washington in the backdrop. Truly inspiring!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-stuns-twit...-211654674.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
BTW I'm so completely sick of Bernie Sanders.

Bernie Sanders’s strange behavior

This board certainly has its whipping boys. Why the hell do Demos on here hate Bernie? I think it's cause we Republicans go so far as to say we like him and probably would have voted for him. I don't get it. Bernie is the opposite of evil.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 22, 2017 -> 08:20 PM)
This board certainly has its whipping boys. Why the hell do Demos on here hate Bernie? I think it's cause we Republicans go so far as to say we like him and probably would have voted for him. I don't get it. Bernie is the opposite of evil.

There are few if any Republicans who like Sanders.

Break up Wall Street and Big Banks, no way.

Minimum wage hikes and decreasing income inequality, nope.

Universal free tuition and single payer health care, nope.

Environment, nope.

Foreign policy, double nope.

Identify with the 16-34 year olds and college liberals who comprise his biggest constituency, no way.

Only gun control, which Sanders moderated to the left on during the primaries.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 02:56 AM)
You might be the only one in America to take that position.

Independent voters, sure. Especially if they were voting today, having understood what Trump actually intended to do.

Yeah, even Hillary probably would have won had they had a do-over a week after the election. Now I still wouldn't have voted for her but I'll concede she prolly would have won a do-over election. Bernie would have won the first time.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade...-2017-4?ref=yfp

Trump had to have EU trade bloc policies explained 11 times by Merkel...no bilateral deals individual countries

https://www.popsugar.com/news/Susan-Sarando...3442940?ref=yfp

Susan Sarandon and Messing fight over Bernie Sanders, Messing gets schooled

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
There are few if any Republicans who like Sanders.

Break up Wall Street and Big Banks, no way.

Minimum wage hikes and decreasing income inequality, nope.

Universal free tuition and single payer health care, nope.

Environment, nope.

Foreign policy, double nope.

Identify with the 16-34 year olds and college liberals who comprise his biggest constituency, no way.

Only gun control, which Sanders moderated to the left on during the primaries.

I wouldn't vote for him, but I at least respect him. He stands up for what he believes and sticks with those beliefs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
I wouldn't vote for him, but I at least respect him. He stands up for what he believes and sticks with those beliefs.

I mean, sort of.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
My official stance is Trump's term so far has been a moderate success.

Which president in your memory WOULDN'T fall into that category?

Carter? Ford, albeit not his fault inheriting that mess? I guess it also depends on how much you blame GW Bush for 9/11, as opposed to the Clinton administration.

Clinton started with gays in the military and health care, didn't really discover his bearings until 1995/96, when he tacked/triaged towards the middle.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
My official stance is Trump's term so far has been a moderate success.

I'm sorry, what?? You used to be one of the more moderate, rational people here. What about this 100 days would you say was successful? I'm honestly curious.

1. Gorsuch

2. McMaster/Mattis, stabilization of national defense team and prevention of WWIII, return to traditional NATO/anti-Russian posture

3. Rollback of some but not all regulations (37 executive orders so far)

4. This is a big one for traditional Republicans, military (albeit largely symbolic) action against Syria after Obama bluffed but didn't pull the trigger

5. Belief instilled in quite a few members of the middle class that Trump cares more about protecting American jobs than "globalists" Obama/Clinton, this is one of the areas where he's above 50% in public opinion polls/surveys

6. Standing up to "illegal immigrants/sanctuary cities" and labeling radical Islamic terrorism, which has been reinforced by recent events in Europe, the French elections, Brexit, etc.

That's what I would expect to hear.

Sixty-seven percent of respondents said the Democratic Party was out of touch, as did 62% for the Republican Party. Less than a third said either party was "in touch."

Trump fared slightly better than the parties, with 58% saying he was out of touch.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/23/politics/don...poll/index.html

Edited by caulfield12